Soda vs Chocolate/sweets

Options
Hi All,

I don't know how many of you are like me, but after lunch and dinner I always feel like I need some chocolate or some sweets. Then one of my collegues at work mentioned she has a can of diet coke in place of the chocolate/sweets. Now my thinking was its just as bad, but then when i thought about it - if i have a can of diet coke it lasts me ages and i don't want another one, but if i have chocolate/sweets I want more.

So, my question is:

Which is the lesser of the two evils? sugar-filled candy or diet soda?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts

Katie
xx

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with chocolate. I usually have like a couple hershey kisses or right now its been 2 or 3 mini Dove dark chocolate eggs. 6 dark choc eggs are a serving, so I feel totally fine having 2 or 3. And it gives me a few tastes of the good stuff to make me happy :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. Neither one is evil.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One small York Peppermint Patty - 50 Calories. Freeze and nibble slowly!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Fruit!!!! Eat some grapes or a banana or an orange or grapefruit, or an apple, or a tomato.....
  • Xxlovinlife2012Xx
    Options
    I wouldn't get hooked on the Diet Coke, even though there are no calories, they load it full of sugar and aspartame. I have an afternoon sweet tooth as well. I chew Extra gum when my cravings come on. No joke it literally helps, but don't deprive yourself, you need to splurge sometimes. I also eat protein bars or drink a meal replacement shake that is chocolate flavored just for the sweetness, Luna bars nuts over chocolate are good as well. Just my opinion
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I fractured my ankle in February and had to work from home for five weeks since I couldn't drive. I also couldn't work out during that time. I had severely cut back on diet Pepsi prior to that. But since I was home, bored and frustrated, I started drinking more diet Pepsi instead of turning to comfort foods. I managed to continue to lose weight during that time. So for me, drinking diet Pepsi was a small price to pay to satisfy my cravings and keep me on track.

Good luck with your journey!!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Emerald Brand Cocoa roast almonds. Fill the craving with something good.
  • DreasMommy
    Options
    I have the same sort of problem when it comes to sweets; however, I've noticed that i can have dark chocolate, which satisfies my craving for chocolate, but I don't overdo it. A few pieces and I'm happy, whereas I could eat a whole bag of milk chocolate kisses, chocolate chips, etc… Perhaps that could work for you?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. Neither one is evil.

this.
    whatever works for you and keeps you on track is the way to go.

if I was watching my calories, and could get by with just drinking a diet soda to stop my food cravings, I'd go that route personally.
  • DreasMommy
    Options
    Or, what about chocolate milk? Sometimes a glass of skim milk with hershey's syrup does it for me...
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Google Jamie's Eason Chocolate Protein bars. These are my saving grace when it comes to sweets cravings! All natural, low in calories, low in sugar (all natural sugar), and it series tastes like cake!
  • kjstavig
    kjstavig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda (not in place of something else..just generally), but I'm stopping that. It always leaves me feeling tired and bloated and miserable. They have Sugar Free Hershey's chocolate (which is pretty good). But if you're craving chocolate after meals, I'd keep a bar of DARK chocolate around and break off a couple squares after dinner. :) Dark chocolate IS good for you -- again..if you eat 12 bars it's not. Anything can be bad if you eat a bundle of it. As long as you balance the calories.
  • Xxlovinlife2012Xx
    Options
    Or, what about chocolate milk? Sometimes a glass of skim milk with hershey's syrup does it for me...

That's a great idea... love Chocolate Milk yum!!
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    diet coke has something much worst than sugar :aspartame ... google for it - is carcinogenic, gives addictions and so on. Chocolate has sugar but cocoa is actually good for you so you'd rather go for chocolate - much better would be to go for dark chocolate or , I did this and worked just buy a bad of organic CACAO ( navitas is the brand I think ) and eat from that when u feel the cravings - it will last u months.
    I was so badly addicted to chocolate and now in the last 2 months I had it like twice ... was horrible for 2 weeks at first then i got used, not I have some cacao powder ready and use that - is chcoloate without the sugar and cacao beans are one of the best antioxidants found in nature ... .
    Anyways , regarding your question is deffinetely better to go for chocolate and if is a 85% dark is not even a bad thing for u ( of course in moderation ) . Diet Coke is a crime ... but people don t know bout it
  • kjstavig
    Options
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If I were making that choice and it was a question of daily consumption, I would find a very good quality dark chocolate, figure out the calories and consume a small amount every day. You need to research this. Chocolate has been found to have some good qualities, but it has to be a decent brand and I'm reasonably sure that a brand with too much sugar will only undermine you. I love Peppermint Patties, but I don't think they're good chocolate for this purpose. They're in the "snack" category."

I drink diet drinks occasionally, but I was specifically told by a dietitian not to drink Diet Coke every day.
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    The diet Coke is not something I would choose. Soda, whether diet or not, will make you look and/or feel bloated because after all it is a carbonated fizzy drink.
    Personally I'd move towards the dark chocolate if you have room to spare on your food journal :)
  • kjstavig
    Options

Drinking a glass of chocolate milk is actually good for after a work out. Your muscles are loose from the work-out and drinking the choco milk builds them up. I don't remember why I heard choco milk was preferred over regular milk..but there you have it. :)

Sorry -- dunno how this 'reply to a certain person' works
  • e1ande2
    e1ande2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about some sugar free hard candy like the Baskin Robbins that tastes like their ice cream flavors? I gave up soda and don't drink diet because the aspartame give me a headache.

If I need something I will grab a piece of hard candy because it last a long time, a lot longer than a candy bar (even if it is sugar free).
  • happypath101
    Options
    Good, dark chocolate is full of anti-oxidants among other health benefits. :O)