Always over my sugar limit!

Options
bopeep91
bopeep91 Posts: 15 Member
Is anyone else always over their sugar limit. It seems like everything I eat has sugar and it all adds up. (Peanut butter and fruit often put be over the limit all on their own)

Do you have any tips!

Replies

• eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No tips but I also struggle with this! Someone told me only eat one apple a day period (like the saying) unless you are training for a marathon. lol I don't see that as realistic.....
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't count natural sugars in fresh fruits and veggies. I subtract those out and make sure my other sugar contributing food counts stay below the goal. I think it's the processed sugars that are the biggest issue. But I am interested to see what others do.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I often exceed the sugars limit even when I've had nothing that was obviously sweet, like cookies. In addition to carbs with naturally occurring sugars, a lot of foods have sugar added. I had some organic tomato soup last week and it tasted suspiciously sweet. Yup, it had added sugar.
  • scorpiorlr
    scorpiorlr Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as you and then after a few posts I changed my view on it. I realize sugar is sugar is sugar but if you are getting it naturally while working out then I wouldn't worry about it. If your day is strawberries, apples and vegetables that is putting you over your sugar amount and you are working out then stop looking at your sugar levels. It will only make you go insane! On the other hand if you are gobbling down Twix, skittles and lord knows what else then watch it for now but cut it out lol. I removed the sugar form my monitoring and put in Fiber. I know I eat healthy. I am losing weight and I am not eating junk food so I am not worried about the sugar any more. Try it that way as you work and you will see its nothing to fret over.
  • bopeep91
    bopeep91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I am glad I am not the only one!
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Fruit never made anyone fat.

Eat more fruit! If you don't have a medical condition that requires you track sugars don't worry about it. This is just a quick way to gain energy. Plus fruits are usually full of other good things, such as essential vitamins and fibers.
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eating one good-sized banana puts you right on the edge. Add some carrots and a cup of V8 juice and you're over the limit. I get why people don't worry about "natural" sugar, but realistically, I don't know how much your body can tell the difference between a banana and a few tablespoons of sugar. A diabetic has to watch their sugar intake regardless of where it comes from, it just happens to be that there are health benefits to fruits regardless of sugar content.

Also, take a que from folks that are trying to cut weight (athletes, bodybuilders trying to get to show bodyfat %). You don't see sugar in their diets. In the long-term I certainly wouldn't suggest avoiding fruits due to sugar content, but while trying to effectively lose weight it's probably not a bad idea to be careful of sugar content regardless of the source.
  • Merideth1
    Merideth1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am always over on sugar. I had a small apple and a pear one day and I couldn't believe how much over I was on sugar. I posted this question and only one person replied and said not to worry unless I was diabetic. I don't know, it just bothered me because I was trying to stay within the daily limits and sugar has got me baffled.
  • rosiewing
    Options
    is there a place on the sheet to enter how much sugar you had? did not see that
  • mpizzle421
    mpizzle421 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's auto calculated based on the foods you enter. Another one to pay attention to is sodium... it's painfully obvious why we suffer from some of the health problems we do in the US when you realize how much sodium frozen/fast foods contain :/
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar, so I stopped tracking it. I don't eat a bunch of cookies or pig out on ice cream or candy every day, but I eat fruit, drink juice, and I like slightly sweetened cereals (i.e. honey bunches of oats NOT sugar smacks). I've been losing weight, so I'm not too worried about it.

If you want to eat fruit, you also might try fruits that are naturally lower in sugar (per serving). Like berries!

Sugar in a one serving (1 small piece of fruit, or 1/2 cup of berries)
    Banana: 12 g
    Apple: 11 g
    Pear: 14 g
    Orange: 12 g

Blueberries: 7 g
    Kiwi: 7 g (these are a cousin of strawberries!)
    Strawberries: 4 g
    Blackberries: 4 g
    Raspberries: 3 g

Great in cereal, in oatmeal, in yogurt. Or all by themselves.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I always am over as well, but I eat a banana everyday.
  • AshHerch
    AshHerch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.. your body will react the same if it is "natural" sugar from fruit or from something like candy.. sugar is one of the main reasons people gain a crapload of weight. Sugar turns into fat in your body! I never eat full pieces of fruit.. always half a banana, half an apple, etc. I also try not to eat anything too sugary after 3 pm.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Fruit never made anyone fat.
    I hate this saying so much. Fruit has calories. If you eat too many calories it will make you fat, even if some of them come from fruit.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar.. your body will react the same if it is "natural" sugar from fruit or from something like candy.. sugar is one of the main reasons people gain a crapload of weight. Sugar turns into fat in your body! I never eat full pieces of fruit.. always half a banana, half an apple, etc. I also try not to eat anything too sugary after 3 pm.
    Everything turns to fat in your body if you eat too much of it. Why do you stop eating sugary things after 3?
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. I am a diabetic and I don't count sugar grams. I count carbs. That is what the exhanges r based on. 15 carbs equals 1 exchange. Sugar is a sub catagory of carbs. Anyway, I totally ignore the sugar content. Its completely irrelevant. My blood glucose is under control by controling my carb, protein and fiber intake.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The sugar number on MFP seems to be related to recommendations like the American Heart Association's which recommends no more than 25 to 37.5 grams of added sugar per day. The operative word is "added". With the carb level on MFP, it is extremely difficult to keep under the sugar number.