DOES WATER REALLY AFFECT WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
Ok first of, I drink only water but not the recommended amount, maybe about 2 cups a day. These past two weeks I've been trying to force myself to drink more water, but unless I'm exercising I find it hard to drink so much. Which in a way I don't understand why I can't because before I could ALMOST drink a whole 2 liter of coke by myself. Before I started this journey I knew that drinking water instead of sugary beverages could affect weight loss in a positive way. So I guess my question to you is, if I drink more than 2 cups of water a day will I see more of a loss on the scale?

P.S: I've been losing weight just drinking these 2 cups of water and staying within my calorie goal.

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Even if you were not trying to lose weight, I think drinking more than two cups would be beneficial for keeping yourself hydrated. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that if I do not drink water i bloat up. Also if you are taking in alot of sodium drinking water will help flush it out.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Ugghh I really do HATE water. But I have noticed that on days that I force myself to drink it, I drink it all day long. Its just getting that first few cups down then I am good. I also can tell a real difference on days I drink a lot of water. I am not as tired and I feel fuller all day.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it does or not, but I know I drink about a gallon a day and I feel better when I do. On days that I don't drink much water I feel more sluggish and bloated.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too. Other than helping with the obvious bloat and keeping hydrated/full, does it do anything else for you as far as burning fat/ feeding muscles/increasing metabolism?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok first of, I drink only water but not the recommended amount, maybe about 2 cups a day. These past two weeks I've been trying to force myself to drink more water, but unless I'm exercising I find it hard to drink so much. Which in a way I don't understand why I can't because before I could ALMOST drink a whole 2 liter of coke by myself. Before I started this journey I knew that drinking water instead of sugary beverages could affect weight loss in a positive way. So I guess my question to you is, if I drink more than 2 cups of water a day will I see more of a loss on the scale?

P.S: I've been losing weight just drinking these 2 cups of water and staying within my calorie goal.
    Water does NOT have any effect on fat loss, no. Drink for hydration, don't worry about an arbitrary number.
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    Simpleness:
    Your body is 98% water. It retains water if you don't drink enough. Drinking more water allows your body to be constantly hydrayted and will lose more weight.

You and your body will get used to the additional water in no time.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    YES
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if you hadn't posted the title in capslock I wouldn't have opened the thread.
  • catherun
    catherun Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't think that water makes you burn calories faster or anything. I think it's weight loss benefits are just a direct result of what it DOES do. Water flushes your system, it makes you feel fuller, etc. I think it more influences weight loss by causing you to make other healthy decisions.
  • mischief1on1
    Options
    I don't know if it does or not, but I know I drink about a gallon a day and I feel better when I do. On days that I don't drink much water I feel more sluggish and bloated.

Me too!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    If you don't drink enough imo your body will hold on to what you do have...water retention has never been a good thing in my experience.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Proper hydration is a must for sustained weight loss. Most people go around dehydrated most of the time, causing the body to retain water, and appearing like more weight on the body.
    Does water help you lose weight? No. But here's some things it can do to maximize your weight loss:
    Keep you fuller longer
    Clear your complexion (ok, not weight loss, but who wouldn't like this??)
    Keep your digestive tract working properly
    Flush "toxins" out of your body
    Flush excess sodium
    Minimize the occurence of kidney stones
    Reduce the chances of getting a bladder or UT infection
    Keeps the liver and kidneys functioning properly
    Lubricates the joints
    Allows you to sweat properly
    Reduce bloating and water retention

Hope something here helps motivate you! I drink around a gallon of water a day. More in the summer, less in the winter. But I drink more tea in the winter, so I'm still getting my fluids!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    While, as you state, replacing sugary or other calorie laden beverages with water will help with weight loss, drinking more water will not help you lose weight more quickly. It *might* help with water retention, but last time I checked, it is *fat* people usually want to lose, not water (even small amounts of excess water). As for people who say you need to drink 8 (or more) glasses of water to stay hydrated under normal conditions--there is little or no scientific evidence to support this claim, please see: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It does help me I drink only water now I haven't had soda in a while so im used to it by now. Maybe if you try other methods of drinking water with the flavored water or crystal light, even though it has sugar it's not as much as a soda. If you drink tea that could be another way to get your water intake in also
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not sure you need to call someone an idiot because they used all caps. Are you so perfect that you can sit on high and judge?
  • spenyweit
    spenyweit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I drink water, I feel fuller, desire to splurge less often, and maintain mind control over my diet. I was in the military and this is where I learned that drinking water all day takes your mind off food...it tricks your brain. I think this is what can ultimately result in greater weight loss for most people. Good luck...I have a hard time with it too, but, high cholesterol, diabetes, and high blood pressure...it is more important that at 33 with two kids that I lose weight and live. Its not a choice for me anymore, its survival of the fittest!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Not sure you need to call someone an idiot because they used all caps. Are you so perfect that you can sit on high and judge?

Report the reply for blatantly violoating the TOS. That's what I did.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if you drink a glass of water before every meal its supposed to fill you up so your not eating as much, i also read that sometimes your body thinks that its hungry when really your just thirsty so drinking lots of water will keep it in balance.

I know drinking water is supposed to help clear up your skin so i try to get in at least 100oz a day
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You need an adequate amount of water for daily bodily functions. Some people claim that it helps aid in weight loss but it has never really been proven from what I've found.

That being said, depending on your diet, you may get a lot of your water from food sources. Some fruits and vegetables are made almost entirely out of water. Even foods you don't expect have water. Ever wonder where all the water goes when you cook rice?

Personally? I love water. I probably get twice the recommended amount but I never track it because I have no need to.