Jiu Jitsu

Options
I've been thinking about doing Jui Jitsu for a while, and I was wondering if anyone else has had any results with it? I want to do it not only for my fitness, but also for my protection, since I'm a 20 year old living alone in a college town.

Replies

• katelynpelerson
    katelynpelerson Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    anybodyyyy?
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    For self defense it is great, but I do not think can rely on that alone to burn calories as this form of martial art is more about holds and balance as opposed to kicks and punches like Taikwondo. Keep doing whatever else you do for cardio as well.
  • mkenyon78
    Options
    My husband does Jui Jitsu religiously. He trains 6 days a week and has been doing so for about 4 years. When he started, he weighed in at 280 pounds. He is now 176 pounds. All of this weight loss has come from doing jui jitsu and watching what he eats. Good luck!!
  • markS159
    markS159 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dinovino is absolutely incorrect. BJJ most definately helps you burn a large amount of calories. I have been taking classes seriously for since March ( i had been taking it longer but not as religiously) and since then I have lost 20 pounds doing only BJJ and managing my caloric intake.

BJJ is a great martial art and provides very useful self defense techniques. Give it a shot.
  • tkdgirlms
    tkdgirlms Posts: 73
    Options
    For self defense it is great, but I do not think can rely on that alone to burn calories as this form of martial art is more about holds and balance as opposed to kicks and punches like Taikwondo. Keep doing whatever else you do for cardio as well.

Not true! I have a brown belt in JJ and it involves a lot of kicking and punching - you learn how to defend against those as much as doing throws and such. JJ is a mixture of hapkido, judo, taekwondo, and other styles.
    It has very good health benefits and you will get in shape and stronger which will ultimately help you lose the pounds.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    So anyone hungry for oriental food yet? Don't make me pull out my chop suey moves...:laugh: