Holy Salt!!

Options
So I was sitting with my roommate and she stumbled upon a video about the "ten worst diet foods", and I saw a chart about how much sugar the average American consumes.

I was so shocked/horrified by the sugar chart that I decided to add sodium and sugar to my food diary. My jaw literally dropped at how much sodium I have eaten today. Most of it was from a can of soup. "Healthy"ish soup!!!

Anyone else have a shocking nutrition moment today?

Also, will drinking a ton of water help counteract this atrocious amount of sodium I have just eaten? My fingers already feel tight lol.

Replies

• Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes if you drink lots of water you will be fine. The body actually needs some salt.
    thats why i try and make my own soups to lower the sodium!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Yes if you drink lots of water you will be fine. The body actually needs some salt.
    thats why i try and make my own soups to lower the sodium!

I discovered that my sodium intake was WAY too high as well. The canned soups are the culprit, looks like I need to start making my own soups too!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Drinking extra water will help with sodium.

If you weigh in daily, you will probably also see some weight gain due to water retention from the salt. DON'T PANIC.

Drinking extra water will take care of that, too. It may take a couple of days.

Watch the stuff that's labeled "low fat", "sugar free", "diet", etc. They usually make it taste good by adding salt, sugar, or chemicals of some sort. Decide for yourself what you want for chemicals/artificial/"engineered" additives, but in general it's rarely worth the calories you actually save by using such products, particularly the ones that use salt or sugar.

Canned food, however, is almost always salty. It needs a lot of some form of preservative to last a long time in the cans. Sodium happens to be one of the least toxic preservatives, which is really saying something, but remember - a preservative's job is to kill bacteria. They're all toxins at some dosage.

Sodium is not your enemy, but too much sodium can be.
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!

After glass 3 of water, my fingers are already thanking me lol.

And home made soups is starting to sound like the best way to avoid this in the future. Darn dorm room living.