Help with what is probably a stupid question!

Options
I have been using this site for a while, but mostly just to log food etc. I have started reading the boards recently and I read alot about never eating below your BMR. This is new to me. Can anyone explain to me why this is? Does this apply even on days when you don't work out, or is it just for days when you have gained exercise calories? If that is the case why does MFP set a 1200 net calorie target? Apologies, as I am sure this has been covered off a million times but your help is appreciated!

PS I am female, 5'9" and about 160lb, so not overweight exactly but wanting to lose 20-25lb. Weight loss is something I massively struggle to do deliberately ( it does not come off easily AT ALL!)

Replies

• knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MFP gave you a calorie goal of 1200 based on your height, weight, how quickly you want to lose weight, and exercise level. You always want to shoot to have 0 calories at the end of the day. If you exercise, you'll earn more calories. 1200+350(just a guess)= 1550 calories you should eat for the day. You are supposed to eat back your exercise calories to make sure your body has enough fuel for the day. If you consistently deprive yourself of those calories, your body will go into what MFP calls "starvation mode." Your body will hang onto the weight because it doesn't know when you're ever going to feed it enough (I have been through this...it's true! 600 calories per day is not enough!).
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - just to clarify then - my BMR is about 1470. On a day where I don't do any exercise ( I can't work out every day), should I aim to eat 1470 cals or the basic 1200 MFP has set in order to lose 1-2lb per week?! Sorry if I am being a little dumb here :-)
  • Marquism123
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - just to clarify then - my BMR is about 1470. On a day where I don't do any exercise ( I can't work out every day), should I aim to eat 1470 cals or the basic 1200 MFP has set in order to lose 1-2lb per week?! Sorry if I am being a little dumb here :-)

Very smart.

Eat slightly above 1470.

So set weight loss goal to 1/2 lb weekly. You have so little to lose, this keeps your daily goal to keep you losing quicker.

Will you only lose 1/2 lb weekly?

How many calories do you burn in a day doing everything? Don't know?
    Do you think MFP knows because you told it Sedentary? No.

You'll have a goal set to 1588, if you exercise more than walking 3mph, you'll eat back exercise calories, and by feeding the workouts your body will improve muscle and usage.

Now all your daily activities will burn the max they can burn, because your metabolism is flying as high as it can.

As you enter your weight lost down the road, MFP will lower that goal automatically.
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I just need to learn patience - 1/2 lb per week just seems like so little! I suppose I worry as well because I don't have masses of time to work out ( aiming to fit in 4 x 1hr runs/ classes per week) so I think that if I eat above BMR I will just stay the same! Will give it a try though
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Options

Saw your post yesterday & was wondering the very same! Once I got home, I went to sandiki's posted link (see above) & read through the post there. Further, the link that person posted to Fat2Fit (visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ ) was very helpful! While that site doesn't have a daily log like this one, it offers more specific methods for calculating what is necessary to figure out where you stand and how to attain goals.

After reading all of that, I'm still going to use my fitness pal to keep track of my intake & exercise, just so I have a log somewhere, as well as being able to touch base with people through the forums. Support is especially helpful!
    I have found, however, that the caloric intake I need is higher than what is noted on this site. WIth that info in mind, and also what i need to aim for, I'm keeping track of things pretty well.

Definitely take some time, if you haven't already, to go to that posting & also to the fat2fit link. Utilize the tools there to find your information. Their pod casts are also full of lots of great info! Just listened to one today while working on the computer.

Cheers!
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    OMG! Really, I didn't know about the BMR thing! Starvation Mode? Oh geeze! Nothing's easy!
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For the record, eating at your BMR will not cause you to gain weight or stay the same weight...you will lose weight while eating at that level. BMR is the amount of calories you burn if you were in a coma..so the basic amount that your body needs to keep you alive. You are not in a coma, I assume, haha..so you actually burn 200 or more calories above that depending on how active you are throughout the day. Set your goal for 0.5lbs a week...seems like it'll take longer, but at least it will work. You don't have much to lose, so eating to lose 1-2 lbs a week will actually slow your weight loss down, oddly enough.
  • his_bunny
    his_bunny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    good info...bumping
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @SlimSammy2012 I know, right?! Just when you think you've got it down...
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    @SlimSammy2012 I know, right?! Just when you think you've got it down...

Well, not actually got it down but in the neighbor hood! LOL No wonder it is so hard to loose it all and keep it all off!
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the info - think I am definitely going to increase the calories (Yay!). Just one more thing - does it matter WHAT you eat?! Clearly I will aim to eat healthy foods but I am on the road ALOT with my work - staying in hotels with no facilties to prepare my own food. Sometimes I need to eat "unhealthy" (because it is that or go without!) but just try to eat a smaller quantity to keep the calories down. Do you think this will have an impact?!
  • Marquism123
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the info - think I am definitely going to increase the calories (Yay!). Just one more thing - does it matter WHAT you eat?! Clearly I will aim to eat healthy foods but I am on the road ALOT with my work - staying in hotels with no facilties to prepare my own food. Sometimes I need to eat "unhealthy" (because it is that or go without!) but just try to eat a smaller quantity to keep the calories down. Do you think this will have an impact?!

No, increased sodium levels can read to false weight readings, but if artificially high one weigh-in, and not the next, just appears to be bigger drop.

Your inches tell true story.

Even McD's has chicken salad's with decent amount of protein in them. It's mainly about places where you can get the food facts.

If you eat at all the authentice hole-in-the-wall places that are so good, very hard time knowing exactly what you ate. Limit those to once a week and guess best you can.
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Options

In my mind, it depends on how you're viewing your journey. If you're aiming to get to a place where healthier eating & living overall is the key, then what you eat (on a daily basis/over time) has an impact.
    If it's solely weight loss that is your concern, likey a good balance of calories, physical activity, portion control & a moderate amount of "you are what you eat" could be your platform.