Aspiring Vegan

Options
Looking for suggestions on non-dairy-non-soy-milk (rice? almond? brands? flavors?)

Also looking for good non-soy protein options.

On a similar note, if I'm not eating iodized salt, should I be taking an iodine supplement? Brand suggestions? (I already have a good B12 supplement, by the way.)

Thank you!!

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the milk.

But your body NEEDS iodine, so yes you need to find a supplement.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is yummy. I've only ever seen one brand but you can get it in any major grocery store.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I always buy sugar free vanilla almond milk. Low calorie and super delicious =]
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Chocolate (unsweetened) milk!! It's so amazing! I don't drink it on its own though, I always put them in our shakes.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk, just because it is low cal and tastes better than regular milk to me.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i've just started adding pea protein powder to my meals. it's great stirred into soups, stews etc. (anything savoury) at the last minute.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Non-soy protein: Sunwarrior Blend! It's raw, vegan protein powder made from pea, cranberry and hemp seed protein. They also have one made from brown rice protein (that's the one that just says Sunwarrior protein, not Sunwarrior blend). You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Plant-Based-Complete-Protein-Vanilla/dp/B005WLY4L8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334777501&sr=8-1 . They come in Vanilla, Chocolate and "Natural" (unflavored). The company will send free samples if you email them about it because with protein powder it's really somewhat of an acquired taste.

I'm not vegan but I use this protein powder because it's raw, unprocessed, and comes from plants instead of added chemicals and who-knows what in some other ones ;)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK FTW!!!!`1

OK, now that I have that out of my system, DW and I are not Vegan, we are Flexitarian. However, we have cut the majority of dairy from our diet (Cheese and Greek Yogurt are the only holdouts...) But we buy Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla when we are being lazy. When we aren't being lazy, we make our own. Suuuper simple. Raw almonds, filtered water, a couple of pitted dates if you want it slightly sweet and a good blender. Blend it all up and strain out the pulp. Keeps for about a week in the icebox.

If you are interested, I can give you exact numbers on the making.
  • ozo27
    ozo27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I too am interested in Veganism. Have you ever tried coconut milk by the O So delicious brand? I have also tried several almond milk brands such as almond breeze, blue diamond, etc. You can get the 4 cup size for relatively cheap if you want to try a couple of different brands. I like these 'alternative' milk choices but alot of people I know just couldn't get used to the different taste from traditional milk so u may have to test drive a few.

Also feel free to add me, I went vegan full boar about 10 months ago and experienced so many benefits, we can learn alot from each other. Though I am no longer vegan, I now consider myself someone who likes vegan food, raw food, etc. Hope this helps :-)
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I started using SO Delicious Dairy Free Almond Plus Almond milk. It has 5g of protein. It took a day or so to get use to but it rather good.
  • MargotAllen
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I've been a vegetarian my whole life. I like variety in my milk substitutes, so I drink the rice, almond, and soy milks. I also enjoy real milk, but drink it rarely. I would love to be vegan, but haven't been able to bring myself to go all the way. Cheese is good. :)
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input! I will definitely get an iodine supplement and invest in trying new brands one at a time to see what's good.
  • jonesyuno34
    Options
    there is actually a coconut/almond milk blend by Blue Diamond, I think, that is really good
  • ashleyregan8
    ashleyregan8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    check out LivingFuel Living Protein for non-soy vegetarian protein powder. www.livingfuel.ca
    Its organic non-gmo brown rice & yellow pea, with a fll amino acid profile, probiotics, prebiotics and vitamin C. AMAZING :smile:

Tastes amazing too!!