Getting most of my calories from snacks

Options
Do you think it matters that most of my calories come from snacks? My favourite meals are salads so I tend to eat them quite a lot and I do add stuff like avocado and feta but they are still low calorie. I snack on things like nuts, cheese, fruit and the majority of my calories come from snacks. I snack throughout the day and not much at night but sometimes my snack calories come to nearly 1000. Is this ok? I don't eat it all at once.

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear some responses as well.

Snacks seem to make up maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of my calories. I don't see any issues with it as long as I'm getting enough calories and nutrients overall. I have been making more of an effort to get more calories at breakfast or it's an uphill battle the rest of the day to get enough. I know what you mean by veg being so low cal and typical snack foods being high.
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You are choosing healthy snacks, as well as healthy meals! So many advocate several smaller meals rather than 3 large ones, anyway. My own personal opinion is that it sounds like you are doing it the very best way, maybe!
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters to be honest, if what you are doing seems to be working for you then just go with it.

My snacks are sometimes up as high as 300 calories, I try to have one mid morning and sometimes one mid-afternoon snack but if I'm not hungry then I use the calories at so called 'normal' meal times.
  • Shrinkydinkydoo
    Shrinkydinkydoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So as long as I stay below my calorie goals for the day I should be ok. I find it hard to eat all of my calories some days and snacking helps bump them up, I try to make them healthy choices. Thanks for replying :-)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    As long as your snacks are healthy and provide nutrients then you are fine. I think the reason people look down on snacks is they feel that means eating chips and candy. If your snacks are fruits, nuts, cheese, meat, veggies etc then what difference does it make if you eat them spread out over the day or 2 times a day?