The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
I am sure the flood gates of opinions are getting ready to be released... I just ask that you are all "nice"....

OK... I have been working on getting healtier for about 6 weeks now... ( and have literally NEVER done a minutes worth of intentional exercise a day in my life...) cutting my calories, working out almost everyday cardio wise... and honestly snooping around and looking for woman approx my age that looked terrific...( and checking out all the sexy shirtless guy pics, though that doesnt help me with the weight loss other than sheer motivation to look better! ) and almost all of them are heavy weight training....

I have read responses from all over... I finally got the book today... and while BEYOND excited... I am so confused... I have read several paragraphs over and over and over again hoping it would make sense...

So here's the start of my questions.. I am sure there will be more in the days to come...

1. Since I have never lifted weights...and obviously not very strong, would 8 or 10 pound weights be a good starting point? 1(a). And do you increase the weight ( or resistance) on the next set...?

2. When the workout, obviously I will be starting on Stage 1, says that a particular exercise is stand alone... does that mean you do the total sets before moving to the next exercise?

3. The first part of the book, about calories, and all the acronyms... do I understand correctly that its better to eat clean with fiel packed food.. and not really worry about calories? ( I have about 25-30 to still go... )

4. If you have done this technique... what are the percentages you are eating... Carbs, Fats, proteins... again, I dont mean to be stupid... but I barely kept up with the terms....

Thank you so much for taking the time to read thru this ramble... and for those who take the time to answer....

Replies

• sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    And any tips you want to share other than my questions.... would be AWESOME!
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry I don't know the answers but I am new to weight lifting too and considering getting the book so i'd love to hear the answes.

so BUMP
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    BUMP back at ya...

Hopefully we will both get some valuable info!
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but I just ordered the book...bump
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    Are you lifting weights at the gym or at home? If you are at a gym start out with a trainer. (please make sure the trainer is qualified) The trainer should listen to what your goals are, and should be able to help tailor a strength training program that will work best for you. Also, and more importantly, they should be able to instruct you in the proper mechanics of lifting so you do not hurt yourself. They should also be able to tell you at what intervals you should be increasing your weights or repetitions.
    Hope this helps
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1. Since I have never lifted weights...and obviously not very strong, would 8 or 10 pound weights be a good starting point? 1(a). And do you increase the weight ( or resistance) on the next set...? Start at whatever weight will be comfortable for you. Some exercises you might need less or none, others you might need more. you're just going to have to take it exercise by exercise to see what most challenges you. I try to increase weight on each set or do a harder variation (ie with push ups)

2. When the workout, obviously I will be starting on Stage 1, says that a particular exercise is stand alone... does that mean you do the total sets before moving to the next exercise? Yep

3. The first part of the book, about calories, and all the acronyms... do I understand correctly that its better to eat clean with fiel packed food.. and not really worry about calories? ( I have about 25-30 to still go... ) that's generally how it works for me. it's kind of hard for me to go too much over my calorie goal given the foods i eat since they are so filling (protein, vegetables)

4. If you have done this technique... what are the percentages you are eating... Carbs, Fats, proteins... again, I dont mean to be stupid... but I barely kept up with the terms.... i cant deal with macros and dont worry about them. i eat a lot of protein, vegetables and fruit. i also dont worry about fat.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am sure the flood gates of opinions are getting ready to be released... I just ask that you are all "nice"....

OK... I have been working on getting healtier for about 6 weeks now... ( and have literally NEVER done a minutes worth of intentional exercise a day in my life...) cutting my calories, working out almost everyday cardio wise... and honestly snooping around and looking for woman approx my age that looked terrific...( and checking out all the sexy shirtless guy pics, though that doesnt help me with the weight loss other than sheer motivation to look better! ) and almost all of them are heavy weight training....

I have read responses from all over... I finally got the book today... and while BEYOND excited... I am so confused... I have read several paragraphs over and over and over again hoping it would make sense...

So here's the start of my questions.. I am sure there will be more in the days to come...

1. Since I have never lifted weights...and obviously not very strong, would 8 or 10 pound weights be a good starting point? 1(a). And do you increase the weight ( or resistance) on the next set...?

2. When the workout, obviously I will be starting on Stage 1, says that a particular exercise is stand alone... does that mean you do the total sets before moving to the next exercise?

3. The first part of the book, about calories, and all the acronyms... do I understand correctly that its better to eat clean with fiel packed food.. and not really worry about calories? ( I have about 25-30 to still go... )

4. If you have done this technique... what are the percentages you are eating... Carbs, Fats, proteins... again, I dont mean to be stupid... but I barely kept up with the terms....

Thank you so much for taking the time to read thru this ramble... and for those who take the time to answer....

Well, I'm starting this today BUT I've worked out for about 13 years and can at least tell you my point of view from reading the book.

1. As far as increasing the resistance, he said it's up to you basically. You should be able to do 15 -- not I'm going to die on the 15th but not I could do 15 more right away. So, if after the first set you think you could go up a little and STILL DO 15 reps for the next set, go up. If not, stay (or go down if you can't.

As far as what to start with, you begin with squats and since you're supposed to do a warm up set with a small percentage of your working sets, do that (no weight) and analyze how those 15 reps went. You may not be able to add any weight. If so, start with the bar and go from there. Push ups -- if you've never done them, start at a pretty high incline to bust out 15 of those (the height of a counter top or ballet bar).

2. stand alone means do all 3 sets before moving to the next exercise.

3. He didn't really stress clean eating (he says he eats lean cusines {must be endorsed?}). But you DEFINATELY want to worry about calories you'll just have to find your own sweet spot. I've set mine at 1700 (and yes, it took all I had to set it this high).

4. I put my protein at 35%, carbs 30%, fat 35%

Good luck and may the force be with us!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have read that book and its really good, I brought it for the GF as shes a cardio freak! Any body who does not own it, and is interested about learning, should defo buy that book.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It looks like a great program, but I haven't started yet! I've been using the gym machines to help with learning my weights for now, so when I move to free weights, I know I have to go down 10-15 pounds, but at least I have a ball-park figure to work with. Some exercises you won't need to add weights. Just try and follow his guidelines, as they really did do a good job designing the program. Reread the sections you had trouble understanding and ask questions! There's a group set up just for people using the program! You may want to look around there to get some more help!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2553-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

This depends entirely on your strength. 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15, whatever it may be... Give them all a try! You should be able to do 6-8 reps but no more than 10. If you can do more then 10 it's too light. (this changes as you go along as well... Constantly challenge yourself)

Correct. Do all sets of that exercise as opposed to doing alternate exercises.

Still eat at your MFP goal but maybe change it to lose .5-1lb per week.

I am eating at around 40/30/30 and try to atleast stay within my calorie goal and eat 1gram protein for 1lb lean mass. (I am 112 lbs with 96 pounds lean mass)
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Yall have been so awesome....thank you!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

This depends entirely on your strength. 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15, whatever it may be... Give them all a try! You should be able to do 6-8 reps but no more than 10. If you can do more then 10 it's too light. (this changes as you go along as well... Constantly challenge yourself)

Correct. Do all sets of that exercise as opposed to doing alternate exercises.

Still eat at your MFP goal but maybe change it to lose .5-1lb per week.

I am eating at around 40/30/30 and try to atleast stay within my calorie goal and eat 1gram protein for 1lb lean mass. (I am 112 lbs with 96 pounds lean mass)

On #1, the book says during pase 1 do 2 sets of 15?
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

Start wherever is comfortable...don't worry about the amount - at all. You can easily double, triple the weight you're using in the first workout alone. Lift with good form first, then move up. I know some women use body weight to start on squats - no shame. Just always shoot to advance and always challenge yourself.

Yes, if it just says "A: Squat" do all the sets in a row, with rests. (ex: set 1, 15 reps, 60 seconds, set 2, 15 reps, 60 secods then onto to B)

I wouldn't say that...creating a deficit is crucial to losing. But it is super important to eat clean to get good results. Thankfully they are not mutually exclusive. As he points out whole foods aren't as calorically dense as processed bad fat ones. Edit: someone above is right when they say he doesn't emphasize clean eating...but the recipes are damned clean and generally its clear he supports this general notion. Just isn't fanatic about it.

I eat 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein but never worry if I go over on protein. That's also what he recommends.
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    Thats how I read it... at least 18 times... I think this is right...at least...
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any book, but I choose enough weight so that I "fail" on the 6th rep...as in I can't do 6, only 5. Muscle grows and when I find myself being able to do 6 reps that's when I know I have to increase the weight a little bit until I can only do 5 reps again.
  • sthrnchick
    Options

Start wherever is comfortable...don't worry about the amount - at all. You can easily double, triple the weight you're using in the first workout alone. Lift with good form first, then move up. I know some women use body weight to start on squats - no shame. Just always shoot to advance and always challenge yourself.

Yes, if it just says "A: Squat" do all the sets in a row, with rests. (ex: set 1, 15 reps, 60 seconds, set 2, 15 reps, 60 secods then onto to B)

I wouldn't say that...creating a deficit is crucial to losing. But it is super important to eat clean to get good results. Thankfully they are not mutually exclusive. As he points out whole foods aren't as calorically dense as processed bad fat ones. Edit: someone above is right when they say he doesn't emphasize clean eating...but the recipes are damned clean and generally its clear he supports this general notion. Just isn't fanatic about it.

I eat 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein but never worry if I go over on protein. That's also what he recommends.

Thank you... you are always so helpful! AS far as the caolries... I am still confused... I understand the deficit...but in MFP it is low... I think 1400 calories... and I used teh calculation from the book, and its around 1700... so which one do i use?
  • sthrnchick
    Options
    It looks like a great program, but I haven't started yet! I've been using the gym machines to help with learning my weights for now, so when I move to free weights, I know I have to go down 10-15 pounds, but at least I have a ball-park figure to work with. Some exercises you won't need to add weights. Just try and follow his guidelines, as they really did do a good job designing the program. Reread the sections you had trouble understanding and ask questions! There's a group set up just for people using the program! You may want to look around there to get some more help!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2553-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women

Yes, I just joined and asked the question there too!