Doctor's Orders?

Options
First off, I have been on MFP since January of 2012 and have learned an ENORMOUS amount of helpful information. It has been awesome learning so much and seeing everyone's progress!!

I recently saw a new doctor for birth control and before I mentioned I was trying to lose weight she mentioned I may have Metabolic Syndrom. How she knows this by my weight and normal blood pressure is beyond me. Bottome line is, you try to lose weight, it doesn't work with effort, something must be wrong the way the body processes carbs and burns energy. This was a shock since I came in for birth control. But I thought, ok, that would explain why I am not seeing results for 3 months of effort (4 lbs lost)

I recently had the A1c test done and have a 5.5 number. My doctor wrote me a prescription, today, for Glucophage and told me I am in the Metabolic Syndrome range. Looking up the information online all the sites show 5.5 to be in the normal range (not needing medication). So I am very concerned about taking a medication that I may not need. I wonder if anyone out there has been dealing with what my doctor called borderline diabetes or even have conquered it, would see a purpose for something like this to be prescribed with my number being at that level. My sister is a nurse and doesn't see why I would need it, and more importantly, why I wouldn't have any regular monitoring or checkups. My doctor did not ask to see me back again for it. But why would my doctor prescribe something I do not need? I was not given a specific target number to shoot for, just needed it below 5.3.

I am 29 years old, 5'-11" and am at 199 lbs, I have lost 6 lbs so far since January of this year. Everything else about me is normal, cholesterol and blood pressure. Just overweight. The weight was coming off very slow for the first couple of months of my effort working out and changing the way I eat and counting calories. Now that I have tried a new system, using Body By Vi shakes, I have seen 2 lbs come off since I started a week and a half ago, so that has given me hope that I found a routine and a diet plan that is effective for me. I wonder if I can tackle this plan on my own since I seem to finally have found a groove that works.

She also wanted me to start an 1100 calorie & 60 min workout a day plan. I'm not rocket scientist but I am thinking that with too few calories, I won't have energy for that hour every day, 7 days a week, no breaks. I'm sure I will get to my goal weight by my goal date.

Any advice would help! I am very confused about medications, I would prefer none, of course!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you any medical advice but that sounds... odd. I would get a second opinion, for sure. I would not be comfortable with a doctor who prescribed medication right away and didn't even want to monitor it.
  • xoxMandyxox
    xoxMandyxox Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you any medical advice but that sounds... odd. I would get a second opinion, for sure. I would not be comfortable with a doctor who prescribed medication right away and didn't even want to monitor it.

Agreed. Get a second opinion for sure!
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

^^^This.^^^
  • Teshablue82
    Teshablue82 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That seems to be what everyone else is telling me too. It just doesn't sit right with me. It's the battle between what I think is right and what my doctor is telling me. But I don't want to be the idiot that doesn't want to listen to my doctor and then have something in the future go wrong because of it.

Plus on a side note, she said once I was at or near my goal weight, perhaps even half way there, very shortly, I should not have to be on any medication. So it is not a longterm deal, just until I get it under control.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'd get a second opinion or at least ask for further clarification from this doctor on why he wants you to start glucophage. I'm diabetic, so I am very familiar with A1C scores and glucophage, and an A1C of 5.5 alone shouldn't be enough to warrant a prescription. I'm not familiar with metabolic syndrome, so there may be other reasons besides your A1C score for prescribing it, but I'd definitely have it explained to me better and/or get a second opinion.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would definitely want a second opinion...it does sound odd. Did they check your thyroid? Just a thought.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    A new doc doesn't have a baseline or previous history to go by. Is this a PCP or OBGYN? Either way, neither should be treating diabetes. That's for an endocrinologist. Even Metabolic Syndrome should really be treated by an endo. Additionally, any time a patient is prescribed medicine, there should be regular follow ups. For diabetes, it's every three months. Did she tell you to purchase a glucometer and give you a script for strips? Did she provide any education whatsoever? An A1C of 5.5 definitely falls within the "normal" range, however your new doc prescribed the med to help prevent diabetes. I am diabetic and as soon as my A1C goes down to 5.5, I'm getting off the metformin. I'm almost there, it's 6.3 now. I wouldn't be too concerned but I would switch docs and get new blood work in 3-6 months. I don't see any reason to rush off and see one right away.
  • Teshablue82
    Options
    I would definitely want a second opinion...it does sound odd. Did they check your thyroid? Just a thought.

Nope. She never mentioned that at all. And I thought, since I am now seeing the scale move, I don't think I have anything wrong, the effort is just finally showing.
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too am overweight, pre diabetic and have been for about 14 years and found out trying to get pregnant. My doctor put me on Metformin/Glucophage to help keep it under control. However, it upset my stomach and so my endocrinologist put me on Juaniva. I am in good health with my A1C about 6.0 and the only thing wrong is being overweight. It is very hard for me to lose weight. It is so frustrating. I am down about 14 since starting MFP in February, but it has been a struggle. I talked to my endo again in Feb. and he switched my medication. It is suppose to have an appetite suppressant in it. It has helped, but not enough in my opinion. I say all this to say that both times I was put on these meds, they were suppose to help me lose weight. Maybe that is why your doctor put you on the medication to begin with. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Actually, the glucophage isn't the worst thing for you. It will make you less tolerant of carbs though, watch for that.

1100 calories is crazy! Too little for all that exercise, in my opinion. I'm the one on a 700-800 calories a day plan with 30 minutes of exercise twice a day though. Not that I'm doing that anymore. I'm eating 1200 calories net a day most days. And I exercise like a fiend. Minimum of 1.5 hours every day!

Not sure the doctor was giving you the full story of what they were seeing with you. You have the right to question it! Get a second opinion or just find someone else! My OBGYN was actually the first doctor to put me on antidepressants, and it really helped me a lot. So they can be close to a primary care too.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've read that the Mediterranean Diet works well for those with Metabolic Syndrome. I personally know nothing about the diet but I do know that you would need to closely monitor your carb and sugar intake if you do in fact have MS. I also would't go under 1200 cals a day, especially when exercising. 45 minutes 4-5 days a week is fine. Best of luck to you.
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If it's ringing warning bells in your head, you need a second opinion.
  • Teshablue82
    Options
    I too am overweight, pre diabetic and have been for about 14 years and found out trying to get pregnant. My doctor put me on Metformin/Glucophage to help keep it under control. However, it upset my stomach and so my endocrinologist put me on Juaniva. I am in good health with my A1C about 6.0 and the only thing wrong is being overweight. It is very hard for me to lose weight. It is so frustrating. I am down about 14 since starting MFP in February, but it has been a struggle. I talked to my endo again in Feb. and he switched my medication. It is suppose to have an appetite suppressant in it. It has helped, but not enough in my opinion. I say all this to say that both times I was put on these meds, they were suppose to help me lose weight. Maybe that is why your doctor put you on the medication to begin with. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

That makes a little bit more sense to be in combination with the weight loss. She did offer me a prescription to medication for appetitie suppression and increasing metabolism. But it is also supposed to be very addicting. And in my head I have it labeled as a "diet pill" which I am not very thrilled about. I don't think I want to go that route. But if the combination is the key, and I can get off both within 3 months, then it makes more sense.

I did hear and read about the side affects. Even starting on them as slow as I would be, it doesn't sound very fun.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion. ASAP. I'm not a doctor, so I can give you no specific advice, but I've been around enough doctors to know they are not all created equal.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you should listen to your doctor. 1100 is enough and you won't be tired. It will just take a lot of self control.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, doctors in the UK (NHS) don't like to prescribe medication unless they have too. Even then they are trying to get away with giving you cheaper brands, occasionally with more side effects. Well this has been the case for my family and friends. I don't for one moment believe this is the doctors fault. I blame with big wigs dictating finances for the NHS.
  • Teshablue82
    Options
    A new doc doesn't have a baseline or previous history to go by. Is this a PCP or OBGYN? Either way, neither should be treating diabetes. That's for an endocrinologist. Even Metabolic Syndrome should really be treated by an endo. Additionally, any time a patient is prescribed medicine, there should be regular follow ups. For diabetes, it's every three months. Did she tell you to purchase a glucometer and give you a script for strips? Did she provide any education whatsoever? An A1C of 5.5 definitely falls within the "normal" range, however your new doc prescribed the med to help prevent diabetes. I am diabetic and as soon as my A1C goes down to 5.5, I'm getting off the metformin. I'm almost there, it's 6.3 now. I wouldn't be too concerned but I would switch docs and get new blood work in 3-6 months. I don't see any reason to rush off and see one right away.

She is a doctor that was referred to me by a coworker's sister because I moved to a new area and needed to go for my annual paps/birth control and the office is for Women's Healthcare. I took it as a general women's healthcare office. Definitely not an Endocrinologist. Never once was there a mention of strips or testing or follow ups. Just the initial bloodwork done.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One the biggest mistakes we, as patients, make is to ignore our gut and trust our doctors without a second thought. Not all doctors are good doctors especially if they are reaching outside their area(s) of expertise to give you a diagnosis. Trust your gut, get a second opinion. It won't cost you much compared to the peace of mind you'll get.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Second opinion. BUT when you go in for the second opinion don't mention anything about the previous doctor's diagnosis. Just ask for the metabolic rate test to see if anything shows up as abnormal.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

She is a doctor that was referred to me by a coworker's sister because I moved to a new area and needed to go for my annual paps/birth control and the office is for Women's Healthcare. I took it as a general women's healthcare office. Definitely not an Endocrinologist. Never once was there a mention of strips or testing or follow ups. Just the initial bloodwork done.
    Thanks for the advice!

I'll second that advice. See if you can get a referral to an endocrinologist to make sure you are getting appropriate treatment and follow up care from a doctor specializing in treating metabolic diseases.