High School Reunion

Options
I am ashamed of my weight. So much so that I am not going to my high school reunion. This is an event I would really enjoy. I loved high school and my high school friends are wonderful people. I am just so embarassed. I am not the cute, skinny person I was through high school and college. It is depressing. When I think of losing weight. It scares me and is overwhelming. You would think I would be motiivated by the upcoming reunion. Instead, it paralyzes me.
Any one feeling the same emotionally?

Replies

• missyee
    missyee Posts: 2
    Options
    I will be going to a highschool reunion with my new husband in the fall. I find this to be motivating because I dont want to be the fat one there. I have time to make this change and every week I loose one pound I feel more energised. You can do this. I do remember going to mine a few years ago. Everyone had gotten a little pudgy. Truthfully, I thought it was neat to meet the people they had beome not the body they carried.
    missyee
  • itismytimetoshine
    Options
    I am new to MFP. Who would like to be my buddy?
  • goldenpawz99
    Options
    I missed my last high school reunion for that very reason of being overweight. It made me worried of what people would think. Not good. It's a low feeling. But remind yourself of something....They maybe worried too for how they will be looking after these years. But most importantly you are here using this site. It's the right course. I keep reminding myself this weight gain didn't happen overnight, it's going to take some time to kick the pounds to the curb. You will do it!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It is a shame how many people miss out on their reunions for this exact reason. Do you think you are the only one who has gained weight in the last 20 years? At what stage in our lives are we going to stop caring about what the people in high school think of us? Go, with confidence and have fun. Be happy that you are still alive and able to celebrate 20 years of being a grown up in the real world! Leave high school insecurities behind.

I missed my 20th last summer for reasons out of my control (i live on the other side of the country.) and I so wish I could have caught up with my old classmates.