DH leaving town for a week

Options
My DH is leaving me for a week and I'll be alone. I don't like to cook but since both of us are on this life style change I have been very good about cooking all of our meals.. Now that he will be gone I'm afraid that I won't feel like cooking and it is typically the time for me to junk food it. Any suggestions for one person meals or motivations not to resort to the junk food. I would normally open a bag of chips and eat that for dinner or anything that I could grab through the drive through. I was bad, really really bad.

Replies

• lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    bump
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Wow-I'd be thrilled to only have to cook for myself for a week! Make some amazing salads with protein and fruit in them. Make something you love that he doesn't necessarily like and have leftovers. Grill up a few pieces of chicken one night and use the meat for wraps, salads, flatbread pizzas. Splurge on yourself-get a lobster tail or some scallops or a really nice filet and have it with some veggies and salad.
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't know what types of food you like. Salads are easy to make for one person or wraps. You can make the food you normally make and just eat it for a few days. Don't give up, good luck.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I always cook single meals for myself, my husband and three kids eat something different! I do a lot of my prep in the beginning of the week like chop up veggies and such and portion things in serving sizes! If you have to and want to eat out I would research healthier options, like a soup and salad from Panera, things like that! :)
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Ok, I could probably google this, but I don't want to. What the crap is a DH? Dead Husband? Dual Husband? Dreaded Husband? Dumb Husband?

Also, another thread called it their DD....WTF is that? Dumb ****head? I'm confused.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    DH is usually darling husband and DD is usually Darling Daughter. Notice you hardly ever see DMIL. :-)
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    DH is dear husband. Would it be awful to just eat some Healthy Choice frozen meals for a week?
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Maybe make one big meal, and eat it through out the week? Like soup... and have that for lunches? Or a big steak for dinner, eat 1/2, and have a steak salad for lunch the next day?

I can eat the same foods over and over so im easy to please.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Just remember what your goal is. Don't keep chips in the house if it's going to ge tempting, get some low calorie snacks.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I always just cook for myself as my husband doesn't like my "healthy" food ;)

I would cook several servings and freeze them or save them for lunch next day. I usually double my recipes and freeze portion so I have food available for weeks and don't have to cook more than a few times a week :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making meals that you can freeze the extras. For example, DW & I made a butternut-leek bisque a couple of weeks ago that made something like 12 1-Cup servings. I froze the extra cups using a silicone mini-loaf pan, once the bricks were solid, we popped them out and bagged them. You could do the same/similar thing with lasagna, chili, quiche and many others. Search on Food.com for OAMC (Once a Month Cooking) for some great ideas.

Also, I'm REALLY happy to see someone else using the DW/DH/etc. system!
  • nairobiny
    nairobiny Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. Make what you'd normally make, but freeze or refrigerate half of it.

I'm afraid I don't entirely practise what I preach. When Mrs N is away, I tend to eat much more unhealthily and giant portions :-(
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    DH is usually darling husband and DD is usually Darling Daughter. Notice you hardly ever see DMIL. :-)

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Thank you!!!!

haha! If we did see DMIL, the D would probably stand for "Dumb" or "Damn".
  • lacensuch
    Options
    yum! Those are great suggestions.
  • lacensuch
    Options
    Dear husband
  • lacensuch
    Options
    Thanks everyone!