The problem with Interval training (pretty long)

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Now I get it!!

I never ran at all, in my entire life until 2 weeks ago. I'm sticking with the program but I'm VERY slow. The mention of how short very intense interval training is much better at body fat burning than longer intervals is what got me thinking. I'm not nearly fit enough to even try that kind of interval training, it would not be good.

Thanks guys! Just trying hard to learn as much as I can about all of this stuff.

At least you are aware enough to know the difference. It was reassuring to see the progression of your comments.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bump to re-read later...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Question:

Whether you do sprint or C25k won't they achieve the same end? It seems to be with running you are trying to develop endurance. If you do sprints won't you will gain endurance also in the long run? So you'll be able to run at a non sprinting speed longer because you have increased your endurance/aerobic capacity with he sprints...?
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    bump:wink: i'd never miss your threads....... thanks
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    bump :bigsmile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Question:

Whether you do sprint or C25k won't they achieve the same end? It seems to be with running you are trying to develop endurance. If you do sprints won't you will gain endurance also in the long run? So you'll be able to run at a non sprinting speed longer because you have increased your endurance/aerobic capacity with he sprints...?

yes. no. maybe.

All training is specific--that means the training should match as much as possible the specific needs of the activity--cardiovascular, metabolic, muscle recruitment, joint speed, joint angle, power, etc, etc, etc.

Depending on the specifics of your training, there will be different degrees of "carryover" to the activity you are trying to perform.

If all you do is sprint training, you will be limited in your running endurance. It's not like sprint training, because it is at such a high level, allows you to "store up" endurance that can then be spread out at a lower rate over a longer distance.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I've been reading about this on several fitness sites for the last week or so. So i started on the star trac at the gym, i warm up a couple of minutes, then for 30 sec i go as fast as i can, then go very slow for 30 seconds. I've been doing this for about 10 minutes, i'm really sweaty when i'm done and my HR is at about 75-80% at max. I finish with 10 min of moderate rate. Does this sound right and how long should i do this, or is this the max time? I've been doing this 3x per week.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Question:

Actually, it's long been known in professional running circles that to gain more wind or lung capacity (actually that's a misnomer, it's all about oxygen efficiency with regards to muscle oxygen absorption) you need to work faster. To gain muscle endurance (I.E. how long your legs hold out before the energy in them is depleted) you do more distance.

So you see, my dear, you really need both. That's why, if you look at any good professional runner's training regimen, it will include both days of long distance, and days of short runs pushing yourself beyond your normal pace.

the reason why c25K doesn't really push training hard, but more about just ramping up distance is because, for beginner runners, ramping up distance does train you hard. But once you get to a level where running the race doesn't increase your lung capacity, you need to train faster and harder over those same distances in order to force your muscles to more efficiently pull the oxygen out of the blood.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I think your HR should be more 80's 90's for your sprints. Go like hell and till you can't, rest-and standing on the edges is a great idea. I guess too, you could maybe do a set of say bicep curls, then run like hell again.

Thanks Banksy, been wondering where you've been.:drinker:
    Here's a question. How long do you think it takes to start LOSING muscle mass, if I haven't been able to do it for 3-4 weeks due to injury and surgery? I'm happy about my weight loss, but worried it's muscle too. I have kept my protein up.:happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think your HR should be more 80's 90's for your sprints. Go like hell and till you can't, rest-and standing on the edges is a great idea. I guess too, you could maybe do a set of say bicep curls, then run like hell again.

Thanks Banksy, been wondering where you've been.:drinker:
    Here's a question. How long do you think it takes to start LOSING muscle mass, if I haven't been able to do it for 3-4 weeks due to injury and surgery? I'm happy about my weight loss, but worried it's muscle too. I have kept my protein up.:happy:

about 7 days and the muscles start to lose definition. It's a slow process though, 3-4 weeks won't make a big difference, especially if you give yourself protein and try to do any muscle building you can, even if it's with alternate or incidental routines. By that I mean routines that don't directly work the muscles hard, but do force them to do some type of contraction, even if it's only in a stabalizing roll. For instance, say you hurt your hamstring and could no longer squat, but you can still walk ok, maybe doing some swimming or jogging would help, you won't keep the same mass over the long term, but neither will the muscle atrophy because it's being used in a secondary roll.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks, well I've been able to incline power walk, for about 45 min, 3-4 x/wk. Thanks again for the answers. Hopefully I'll be back given 'er again. I soooo miss it.:drinker: