My Marathon Journey

Options
My Marathon Journey…26.2 miles to reclaim “ME”

neveragainme.jpg

Yep that’s me in December of 2008.

I feel like there should be a booming boxing ring announcer belting out: “And in this corner weighing in at 224 miserable pounds is Kelly!”

Barely recognizable to myself anymore is that photo likeness of what I had become. Outside looking in my life was by all definitions picturesque. I had a wonderful husband (who just had celebrated 6 months cancer free), two beautiful healthy children, a brand new house in the burbs, great job, and friends and family I adore. Life was good, hell great on paper!

“ME” however- the person in that photo, was miserable with myself.

I could quote just about every excuse in the text book of 101 Reasons Why You’re Fat: I had just had a baby 4 months earlier, mind you our bundle of joy only weighed in at 7 pounds-- where’d the other 70 come from? I’m too busy to cook healthy, I work full time! Plus healthy food is just so expensive, we’re on a budget. My metabolism has just slowed down since having kids. You know your body is never the same after you have kids anyway. Probably my personal fave--I’m an emotional eater. So I just ate & ate for comfort when my husband was diagnosed with cancer while we were 5 months pregnant with our second child. All those cheetos and ice-cream were sure to make him & my soul better. Ha-ha!!!

Sound familiar? The truth is, are you ready for it? I WAS JUST PLAIN LAZY. Period, end of story. I love food, good rich heavy food, junk food, instant gratification food-who doesn’t? It tastes GOOD and I ate A LOT of it!! All that other crap was just excuses, ways to talk myself into believing that this was how life would be now, this was how I would look and feel………oh yeah and that would be okay.

Know what? I’m not an OK kinda gal. OK is not good enough for me. You know why?
I DESERVE BETTER than OKAY.

So I decided to get off my *kitten* and do something about the way I felt. Because the way I felt was negatively affecting everything in my life. I just wasn’t happy and it showed. I talked it over with my support structure. My husband, my friends, my mom and my boss- they were all incredibly supportive. That alone made me feel better about taking time for ME. Not an easy concept for this working mom of two little ones! I already had Mommy guilt about being away at work all day. Now I was going to add another hour away from my family a day to exercise?! I had to re-teach myself that "I" was worth the time. It was more than OKAY to put myself back on my perpetual type A to-do list!

In January of 2009 I joined the gym, signed up for a biggest loser type challenge, stared eating better and got moving. Slowly but surely new habits replaced old ones and better choices were made day by day. I learned there is no magic pill, no quick fix surgical procedure that were going to get me healthy. I had to do it the good old fashioned way, eating right and exercising. Boring--- I know but highly effective ;)

As a group we were encouraged to do Charleston, SC's local 10K Race in the spring- the Cooper River Bridge run. I had to Google how far 10K was~~~HOLY HELL, 6.2 miles! I was by no means a runner. Our trainer would put us on the treadmill and I would run for a minute or two at a time and it was really hard! But I was determined to try to do this race with my team. I trained, run/walking on the treadmill. I even got up to running about 5 minutes at a time, which was a big accomplishment for me. Race day came & I ran/walked and finished that 10K race a new woman! There was something so special about completing that run with 40,000 people all moving toward the same goal. Our biggest loser challenge ended shortly after. I had won our team slimming down 26.6 pounds! That was more than enough motivation to say…….hmmm what can I do next?!

Train for another 10K run of course, and this time talk hubby into running with me! Easy enough, just find a 10K run at Disney World (his favorite place)! He had been motivated by my success to get moving as well so this was the perfect getaway weekend for us as a couple. Life had come full circle it seemed, instead of going on vacation to relax, we were going on vacation to RUN?!

In October of 2009 we both did the WDW Race for the Taste & finished that 10K in some record Florida heat. I was down another 25 pounds and he lost 20 in the process of training as well!

WDW10K2009.jpg

I had been bitten by the running bug. I was feeling great about myself. I had more energy than I had in years and I was HAPPY! The thing about always having another race to train for is you have to keep moving. Guess what happens when you stay active and eat healthy? The weight just keeps coming off! Best part is you FEEL AMAZING!

With all this new found vigor I decided to set another goal for myself. As a good friend of mine says you have to “keep moving forward”. This time I wanted to test myself to see if I could go farther, I decided to train for a half marathon- 13.1 miles, the next milestone in the running world.

MBMini1.jpg

Here I am in October of 2010. Myrtle Beach Mini-Marathon, finisher’s medal in hand, and at GOAL weight, 157 pounds. See that smile—that’s what grinning ear to ear looks like!

MBMini2.jpg

Best thing about it, hubby did it too! He loves to tell people I’ve dragged him along on this running journey & he’s really “not a runner”. Anybody who runs is a runner I tell him! He says he runs for the trips to go places, the t-shirts & the free beer at the end ;)

I finished a half marathon, you think I could sit still? Of course not, now I had to see if I could finish a FULL Marathon, 26.2 miles?! Of course I had to try. So I registered for the Rock and Roll Marathon in Savannah, Georgia in November of 2011.

FirstFULLMarathon.jpg

Here I am finisher’s medal in hand after ROCKIN’ IT OUT for 26.2 miles!

I now have a magnet on my fridge that says:
At mile 20 I thought I was dead.
At mile 22 I wished that I was dead.
At mile 24 - I knew that I was dead
At mile 26.2 - I knew that I had become too tough to kill!
RUN LIKE A MOTHER!

If anyone would have told me when I started this journey to reclaim “ME” that it would include me running a marathon, I would have told them they were straight up nuts, hell possibly certifiable. I had no idea how running would change me, inspire me, move me and motivate me to become a better “ME”.

~I have found strength in the long hours of training, not just in the muscles I have honed; but in the dedication to get out there and do my miles, even when I didn’t want to.
~I have found clarity in the long hours of running that no amount of therapy about my self worth would ever have unearthed.
~I have found that carving out that time for exercise isn’t taking time away from my family, or being a bad wife & Mommy. It’s actually giving them quality time in the form of my being happy when I’m ‘in the present’ and adding years to my life health wise!
~I have found I am stronger mentally and physically than I ever thought I could be.
~I have found that being healthy and our physical bodies are gifts, what you do with that gift is up to you!

Most of all I have found “ME” again. You remember that feeling of being 7 or 8 and just running around with your friends playing at recess? You know that happy, free feeling? Try not to smile as you think of that feeling~~that’s how I feel most days now.

I ran a marathon & reclaimed myself. Now what you ask? RUN ANOTHER ONE OF COURSE!

2009marathon.jpg

Walt Disney World- January 2013

Hubby will be right by my side for all 26.2 miles. (Yes I've talked him into it!)
Afterward, we will celebrate our accomplishment in the parks for a few days with our kids. Happy & HEALTHY together.

That’s my fairy tale ending!

Hope sharing my journey inspires you :) Feel free to add me as a friend or message me if you have questions! Happy to help anyone make it along on their journey!!

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!

What a very inspiring story and journey and you did it for the right reason you.

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

Karen
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So awesome!!! Congrats!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33
    Options
    That is fantastic! I am still gearing up for my first 5k in a few weeks, but I look forward to the day I can say I've run a marathon as well!
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I loved your story. :smile: Congratulations on all your accomplishments!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! I am still gearing up for my first 5k in a few weeks, but I look forward to the day I can say I've run a marathon as well!

Me too signed up for my first 5k and I'm determined to run the whole thing! And my ultimate goal is to run a marathon!
  • Delaina1
    Delaina1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll be at the Disney marathon in January too! It will be my first one! I'm so nervous, but so excited! It has been one of my goals for so long and I finally have the courage to go for it!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Wow - great pictures and great story! You look like a different person! I'm inspired by your constantly achieving new goals. I've only done 5K's so far, but I have a relay marathon next month (6.55 mi). Maaaaaybe I'll do a 10K after that. I keep telling myself that's as far as I want to run, but I have a feeling the "running fever" will take over and find me running longer and longer distances. Thanks for sharing your story - very inspirational!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story, you have every right to be extremely proud of your accomplishments!

I'm in training for a half this coming May and had such a great 18km run last Sunday that I've been seriously pondering a full marathon. After reading about your successes I'm putting it in writing.........Ottawa Race Weekend 2013 I'm signing up for the full 26.2 miles!
    Wow - great pictures and great story! You look like a different person! I'm inspired by your constantly achieving new goals. I've only done 5K's so far......

Never say "only" a 5K, the vast majority of adults can't run a mile let alone 3.1 - be proud of your victories! (I have a friend who ran 3:09 in Philadelhia last year who will tell you that a 5K is one of the hardest races out there due to the pace, longer races you tend to cruise but a 5K is full throttle from the time the gun goes....)
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your journey! You look great!

I'll be at Disney 2013 too, running the Goofy! I did the Marathon in 2011, it is the best Marathon ever!
  • klafrancis
    klafrancis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great story!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    OMG! Not only can I COMPLETELY understand every word you said.....I have that EXACT same dress and I use that EXACT picture as a reference!! HAhahahahahaha!

I'm a runner too and I started running because everything else bored the hell outta me too. I started in August 2011. On April 1st I ran my first half marathon..I cried like a baby I was soo proud of myself. I have my 2nd half in 3 days!! I will also start marathon training on June 1st. I'm EXCITED..(it's a sickness i know).
    I'm not sure if people realize how many miles you have to run to be able to finish a 13.1 race or 26.2, etc. This is the only thing that I can recall that I push myself harder than I've ever done. It's amazing!

Congratulations to you! I feel your enthusiasm! Feel free to add me to your friends list!

~Dawn
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    wow! i positively loved your story! congratulations!!!
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is amazing. I like what your wrote about making time to exercise, I have to remind myself not to feel guilty when I take time away from being mommy to exercise.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Truely awesome story!
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    Great story!
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    I'm so proud to be your best friend for the last 19yrs. Yes, that's right---NINETEEN. I love my ya-ya.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Love your story :) Very inspiring!!!!
  • aconaway
    aconaway Posts: 2
    Options
    I love your story Kelly and I love being your running buddy and friend. Your perspective and attitude toward life/happiness has helped me the last 1 1/2 years. Now, lets "Keep Moving Forward" for ourselves and our families!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    What a story it has inspired me to continue on my quest and not give up because things are not going the way I think they should thank you:smile:
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, beautiful story! Congratulations on finding that power and light inside- it really shows on the outside as well! You look terrifically happy and healthy :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!