HELP! My scale is going in the opposite direction...

Options
and I am struggling with motivation so I can't stop it! :( Anyone else ever go through self-sabotage?

Replies

• OmegaSkye
    OmegaSkye Posts: 16
    Options
    Well, when you see those snacks ask yourself--what's something you want to do once you're thin? For me, it's bikini shopping. I'm gonna treat myself to an expensive, all-the-bells-and-whistles bikini, and then I'm going to STRUT down the beach, looking at all those hotdog venders like "Nope. Not interested. This feels too good."

So when you see those snacks, you tell them that YOU want to feel good. Toss 'em out or give them to a neighbor, and then look at yourself in the mirror and say I CAN DO THIS. I WILL do this. By this time next year, I'm going to a new face in this mirror. This is the last year I'll live worried about my weight. I'm gonna beat these habits, and I'll live FREE.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I know it's rough, and the dietary road is bumpy out there, but whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!! Many people who diet have this problem, I've had it tons of times, just keep on doing what you were doing. Also, could it be what you're eating? What you're not eating? How much or little exercise you're getting? Think this out before you make any drastic decisions that could put the pounds back on...
  • swetha1234
    Options
    a great thing to do whenever you're craving something tempting is to imagine that food with something you don't like, or something that would be horrible with it. So if you are craving potato chips, then think of potato chips covered in toothpaste! no more potato chip cravings!
  • OmegaSkye
    Options
    Ahhh, gross! Now you got me thinking about that! LOL Blegh, I don't even like brushing my teeth after eating chips. *shudder*
  • bombsfadeaway
    bombsfadeaway Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to realize is that you CAN stop it! Changing your state of mind to feeling in control of your actions is the #1 thing to strive for. YOU control what you eat. YOU control whether you want to exercise or not. YOU call all the shots in determining how successful you will be.

Self-sabotage is a sucky thing- I've been there. I used to think "I'm NEVER going to lose this weight, so why bother even trying? Why don't I just order in pizza and enjoy myself instead? Working out is...work." But of course that attitude never got me anywhere but fat!

If you're having trouble getting motivated, find some friends here to kick your butt. Write out the reasons why you want to lose weight and tape them on your mirror. Buy a "dream dress" and hang it on your door so you see it every day. Tell yourself to JUST DO IT! =D
  • jen3apples
    jen3apples Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    LOVE it! I think my issues is I don't even think, it's automatic so I never really think about it until my scale goes up or my pants are tighter. :(
  • jen3apples
    Options
    That's a great tip! Thanks so much I will try it!! It is definitely what I am eating, what I am not eating and the lack of exercise. I was doing well and then all of sudden I just didn't give a **** anymore and packed on all the pounds i lost plus more and now I'm like wtf I need to get motivated and get back on it again. :)
  • jen3apples
    Options
    @Bombsfadeaway Perfectly said!! That is exactly how I feel right now. I am friend requesting you right now so you can kick my *kitten*! lol Thank you so much to all of you ladies...check your friend requests!!
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh girl...you took a page right out of my book! I've been on this path and I empathsize with you...it sucks! I've learned a new little trick...when I get the munchies, I make a cup of hot tea...piping hot. By the time I'm done sipping my way through it, time has gone by and so have my cravings.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Reconsider the whole approach perhaps. Decide on things you like and try new things until you have a group of mix n match foods, not dieting, just eating healthy (or clean as they say) believe it or not most of the cravings will drop out. I used to always crave sweets in the evening or a half a bag of chips. Now it's healthy stuff after dinner or tea, lol.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you enter the calories in to your diary first before you eat it, that might change your mind. I know it does me. Especially with junk food.

Then find yourself some alternatives.... when I want chips, I'm craving salt. I usually grab some salted almonds. Sometimes cheese. Find a low calorie item like Pop Chips or Pretzels that maybe you can have instead. Never take the bag with you, take just one serving out of the bag and walk away.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    My thought..."nothing tastes as good as skinny will feel"!! :wink:
  • OmegaSkye
    Options
    Well said, dude. :3
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Thats a phrase that anorexics use ....but it definitely feels great to be healthier and slimmer....but skinny is a step too far for me
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You just need to tell yourself that you are worth it. You are worth every minute you dedicate to make yourself healthier. And the better you eat, the better you'll feel. You'll be less tired and less prone to be depressed. Feeling better is worth saying no to unhealthy food and making better choices.

You deserve it. You just have to realize it for yourself :)
  • happypath101
    Options

LOVE it! Taped to my monitor "If itsn't hunger, food won't fix it".
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options

Thats a phrase that anorexics use ....but it definitely feels great to be healthier and slimmer....but skinny is a step too far for me

I think that at 170 pounds, I'm FAR from anorexic! Did "they" copyright that saying and I wasn't aware of it?! Geez!