Question on food weight

Options
4 oz. of chicken. Is that 4 oz raw? Or cooked? Or do they weigh the same either way? Raw chicken always seems like it weighs more to me. This might be a dumb question... sorry in advance :ohwell:

Replies

• scrambuglady
    scrambuglady Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think its cooked chicken.
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    It has never occurred to me to question it. I have always weighed the uncooked and made up recipes. But I can see how it cause confusion. Maybe if you specify raw or cooked when you search the database.
    I will be looking at that next time!
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    meat is usually weigh pre cooked.
  • Gloria415
    Gloria415 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Funny cause I just asked the same question to my dietitian and she said it's cooked.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Cooked!
  • Kayers713
    Kayers713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That IS a good question. I never really considered it. I usually weigh it pre-cooked and then make my recipe around that amount... but there are times when I'll cook it, then cube it up to put on a salad and I weigh it cooked. I am going to follow this so I can find out other opinions.

I do wait until it is fully thawed before weighing raw chicken...
  • slightner
    slightner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just asked this about frozen vegetables. My view is you weigh it as you eat it! . When you cook chicken, fat and juices come out that you dont eat so why would you count them? So my vote is weigh the cooked chicken!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    By cooking meat you evaporate the water out of it, therefore common sense says to weigh it after it's cooked.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    err. some packages wil lay cook it not. .but its usually pre cooked because most company's don't know how you will cook it..

the weight difference is more or less just the water/hydration.. but it will pretty much still contain the same calorie content.
  • Tvandevoir27
    Options
    I just asked this about frozen vegetables. My view is you weigh it as you eat it! . When you cook chicken, fat and juices come out that you dont eat so why would you count them? So my vote is weigh the cooked chicken!

This makes sense to me!! I'm glad to see everyones responses and know it wasn't a stupid question :laugh:

Thanks everyone, keep the answers coming!
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Weigh your meat before you cook it. At least that's what I've been told and that's what I've been doing.