Ab/Toning workouts

Options
I need some advice!! I love to run and usually stay motivated to do that on my own. I am currently trying to tone, the stomach/ab area specifically. Back when I had enough time I would do the Jillian Michaels six week six pack dvd, but by the time I'm home from work and done with my run (I'm training for a marathon) I have little energy to do any kind of ab workouts. I usually stick doing a 10 minute ab workout dvd (I can't remember what its called) followed by three sets with 13 reps of crunches, bicycles, and v-ups, three times a week. Is there a better regimen I could be following for the toning? I am unsure of where to go from here!!

Replies

• I have the same problem. I want to do abs, but always end up just doing a few sit ups after my run. I love to run and there is no feeling better than when you are done. It is so good, I usually lose the energy to complete the abs full force. I need some motivation in this area.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I like Ab ripper x, its 15 minutes and I try to do it 3-4 times a week. Its a tough workout and Tony Horton says in it that you are not supposed to do it every day. Good thing about it is you can always modify so even if you are beginner or intermediate, you can still gain from it.

There is also this, http://randomabs.com/today/. Havent done it myself cuz Im not superfound of the moves but I def. think it can work if you dont have a lot of time. Its all about numer of reps, just do more reps if you feel it dosent make you sore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    If you're specifically speaking of reducing fat off the abs it ain't gonna happen just because you train them. Can't spot reduce any area of the body with exercise. If you're speaking about "conditioning" the muscle, then just about any direct ab training regardless of program will work. You don't need a specialized program, you just need to exercise them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bobmohig
    bobmohig Posts: 1
    Options
    So is there a specific exercise that will kill love handles, or is it solely the foods that you eat? I am on a great diet, at the gym every day, and run three miles a day. I have lost 18 pounds, but still see no difference in the love handles.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    So is there a specific exercise that will kill love handles, or is it solely the foods that you eat? I am on a great diet, at the gym every day, and run three miles a day. I have lost 18 pounds, but still see no difference in the love handles.

Try incorporating Tae Bo Insane Abs into your workout routine. Check out the workout on Collagevideo.com. Your local library might have the workout, if you not, you can try Walmart, Target or even Kmart or Barnes and Nobles if you have one out there. If none of them have it, you can try Amazon.com. It will be cheaper than Collagevideo.com.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Genetics and calorie deficit. If those are the last to go for you, there's nothing you can do short of lipo.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Side planks, and side dumb bell lifts and stuff like that
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Try incorporating Tae Bo Insane Abs into your workout routine. Check out the workout on Collagevideo.com. Your local library might have the workout, if you not, you can try Walmart, Target or even Kmart or Barnes and Nobles if you have one out there. If none of them have it, you can try Amazon.com. It will be cheaper than Collagevideo.com.
    A pretty good workout, but when he tells you to "tuck your chin" on crunches, that's incorrect form. Chin on the chest is one of the main reasons people have neck pain when doing crunches.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jeff0416
    Jeff0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All I have been doing is diet and running. If I understand you correctly then that is as good as anything I can do as far as reducing my ab areas?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    All I have been doing is diet and running. If I understand you correctly then that is as good as anything I can do as far as reducing my ab areas?
    No. Heavy lifting will also help.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sanghera_04
    Options
    For abs.. i think a lot of cardio is needed along with a balanced diet

Then specifically target your abs atleast 3 times a week :)

But i've gotta say the cardio will help more so than the actual exercises
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options

There is also this, http://randomabs.com/today/. Havent done it myself cuz Im not superfound of the moves but I def. think it can work if you dont have a lot of time. Its all about numer of reps, just do more reps if you feel it dosent make you sore.

Thanks!! :)