Can I trust my bodybugg

Options
I am 60 years old and 5' 8" and weight 200 pounds. My body bug says I burn 500 calories in a one hour walk and I think my pace is about 3.5 miles an hour. This seems high what do folks think?
Thanks

Replies

• scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thats seems very high. I have a bodymedia fit which is about the same thing. For a one hour walk on a treadmill it says I burn less then 400 calories. That is at an incline and im 6ft 248. I believe my device under estimates my burn.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I also have abody bugg.... today for instance I walked 30 mins with my dogs prob around 3.3 mph. My body bugg said I burned around 280 cals..
    I think it could be accurate.

There have been times where I thought my body bugg was high though too!
  • mjarmas
    mjarmas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That seems very high indeed. I run 30 minutes @ 6 mph and I burn between 475-490 calories.....that's running.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I have use both a HRM and my bodymedia fit. Running 4 miles with both on they're usually within 20 calories or so of each other.
    It's (bodymedia) pretty accurate as long as I'm not doing a muscle class or spinning or the stairmill. Day to day activities it's great for and I rely on it!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you put into it - was a brisk walk uphill, or a stroll downhill (extremes).

My opinion lately is that I am going to trust my bodymediafit to be consistent and then make adjustments after 1 whole months worth of use. Also, your bugg is calculating your calories to survive as well as your exercise (unless I am mistaken) so it will seem higher than the typical chart that is exercise only calories burned. - phew that was a mouthfull.

How long have all of you been wearing your gadgets?
  • deedee0152
    deedee0152 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am paying $10 a month just to use my bodybugg to measure my calorie burn during exercise. I am thinking of switching to a hrm watch. Do you like e one u have.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am paying $10 a month just to use my bodybugg to measure my calorie burn during exercise. I am thinking of switching to a hrm watch. Do you like e one u have.

Then you should definetely go with a hrm. they are alot more accurate for exercise from my experience. I use my bodymedia for getting a decent estimate for my total daily calorie burn. It is accurate until I get into higher intensity exercises, then it is estimating low. I dont mind that to much since that extra is cushion.