low cal, low fat, low carb what is most important?

Options
D2244
D2244 Posts: 30 Member
I have been on this site since Jan and have lost 25 lbs. However I am still confused about what is most important to follow..the calorie, fat, carb or all counts on the daily values you get. I find myself going way under on carbs (between 100 and 150 a day) but going over daily on fat and sugar. However my calories are usually 100 under especially if I exercise. Is this ok? Not trying to go low carb or anything...just seems to work out that way. I usually end up with 1100-1200 per day but am not really hungry all the time. Want to make sure my matabolism is not slowing or if I should be eating more. I am male 5 ft7in and 155lbs and real close to my goal weight. Next goal is to bulk up more as soon as I loose a little more body fat. Also how many more calories are needed to build more muscle?

Replies

• jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Generally I'd say you want a balance - MFP gives you a goal based on a certain percentage of your calories coming from fat, protein and carbs.

That being said, everyone is different. My mom loses weight best when she limits carbs (or now maintains her weight), but her brother (my uncle) lost a bunch of weight watching his fat intake. So until you know your body better you should aim for balance. Also if you're doing a lot of intense cardio or strength training your body may need more protein or carbs for fuel and muscle repair.