Hummus is my new mayo

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I just realized how good it is when replacing mayo..........that's if you like hummus of course. I put it on my wraps and in my tuna fish, in my enchiladas, and all the different flavors make it perfect for anything. You can even use it as a replacement for cheese as some of them have a cheesier flavor. If you like hummus check it out, it could be your new mayo too.

Replies

• 2wiceOver
    2wiceOver Posts: 38
    Options
    If I were in a name brand grocery store where would I find such an item?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

it will be in a refrigerated section, at Giant it is at the other end of the lunch meat near the specialty pickles, it is ground chickpeas and they come in all kinds of flavors, roasted red pepper being my favorite, but they have pine nut, garlic, artichoke I could go on and on. Also you can make your own if you like it is very easy. Also I think you posted earlier about missing crackers, Try the Pop Cakes at whole foods, 20 cals a piece, they are big, and they go great with hummus.
  • 2wiceOver
    2wiceOver Posts: 38
    Options

it will be in a refrigerated section, at Giant it is at the other end of the lunch meat near the specialty pickles, it is ground chickpeas and they come in all kinds of flavors, roasted red pepper being my favorite, but they have pine nut, garlic, artichoke I could go on and on. Also you can make your own if you like it is very easy.

Thanks. Smallish town here so I don't have a lot of choices besides big name stores. Always willing to try out new spreads, especially if I can get the mayo texture back!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree, hummus is amazing! I love black olive hummus on sliced cucumbers! Or sun dried tomato hummus with pita chips also.
  • Mahoney164
    Options
    I also sometimes find it in the specialty cheese section. It's really good on turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread!
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus!! I eat it everyday for lunch with some crackers or tortillas. It's usually refrigerated - like others mentioned it's usually by the specialty cheeses, or possibly fresh pasta.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it but, hear people talk about it and see it on friend's diaries a lot. I think I'll check it out too! Thanks!
  • LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LOVE hummus!!! Especially as a mayo replacement :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Huh. I never thought of using that on a sandwich. I'll have to try it.
  • Lionlily
    Lionlily Posts: 10
    Options
    In the dairy section next to cheeses!!! I make mine from scratch and I love all the different spreads I can make with it just by adding in veggies, garlic, eggplant, peppers, etc. :smile:
  • Lionlily
    Lionlily Posts: 10
    Options
    I make mine from scratch and I love all the different spreads I can make with it just by adding in veggies, garlic, eggplant, peppers, etc.
  • cbarns
    cbarns Posts: 19
    Options
    Hummus is delicious... and I also have never thought of adding it to a sandwhich
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    You can get hummus in the refrigerated section, often with flavors added already, or can buy it in a box and add your own flavors. I like both ways.
  • dmoberg11
    dmoberg11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is the best! And since I try to eat low-carb, I use it as a dip for veggies. :)
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sabra brand Roasted Red Pepper is also good by the spoonful! heehee

I spread it on a tortilla and roll it up. It's a great snack.

My family thinks I need a hummus intervention. :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I eat everything with hummus!!! The Sabra brand has sooo many delicious flavors!!
  • MantraMommy
    Options
    I, highly, suggest making your own hummus.
    The key: a good food processor.

Ingredients:
    •1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained
    •1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    •1 tablespoon lemon juice
    •1/2 cup plain yogurt (fat free Greek)
    •1 teaspoon salt

Optional:1 TBS Tahini
    c
    Preparation:

In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt and cumin and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.

If your hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon of warm water or olive oil.

Be creative. Add spices that you like, olives, roasted peppers, etc
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love hummus.

Edit: In my grocery stores, it's in the deli, by all the specialty cheeses.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I personally like hummus, feta, lettuce and turkey in half of a pita. Very delicious and filling...though maybe a bit high in sodium..oh well can't win 'em all!
  • jenelizmin
    jenelizmin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had hummus with my lunch today! I used the rosemary & olive oil fold it flatbread. I slathered on about 4 tbls of garlic hummus. Added some strips of sweet red, green, and yellow peppers. Added a little onion and POOF! veggie sandwich. The hummus gave it some extra substance and somehow made it seem like more than a salad on bread. Added a light cheese stick as my side and had a very lo cal lunch that was actually enjoyable.