Fat2Fit radio calculations

Options

Replies

• jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is so counter to what I was taught since I started trying to lose weight 25 years ago. I thought it was supposed to be unpleasant with tasteless fat free food and that I was supposed to be hungry - that was how I knew it was working, right? It was punishment for getting fat! But that's bull. You don't have to suffer.

I agree!! Thanks for posting!
  • jfaure23
    Options
    Just done the calculations. My BF% is 45.1% (chubba chubba) my BMR is 1313. So if I'm on a 1200 cal plan.. this is definitely bad yes? So how many calories should I consume? How do I know if I'm netting below when I don't know how many calories I burn at work etc? Help me out a little please!

Knowing your BMR is a great first step. Now you need to know your TDEE (that is what you actually burn in a day based on your activity level). For example, my BMR is 1570, my TDEE is 2100, so to lose weight I eat net cals of about 1750. The idea is to eat more than what your body needs (BMR) but less than what your body burns on a typical day (TDEE). fat2fitradio.com can help you determine your TDEE, just click on BMR Calculators.

Generally, to lose weight you need to eat 200-300 more calories than your BMR, so I would recommend you eat about 1550 cals per day.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just done the calculations. My BF% is 45.1% (chubba chubba) my BMR is 1313. So if I'm on a 1200 cal plan.. this is definitely bad yes? So how many calories should I consume? How do I know if I'm netting below when I don't know how many calories I burn at work etc? Help me out a little please!

Knowing your BMR is a great first step. Now you need to know your TDEE (that is what you actually burn in a day based on your activity level). For example, my BMR is 1570, my TDEE is 2100, so to lose weight I eat net cals of about 1750. The idea is to eat more than what your body needs (BMR) but less than what your body burns on a typical day (TDEE). fat2fitradio.com can help you determine your TDEE, just click on BMR Calculators.

Generally, to lose weight you need to eat 200-300 more calories than your BMR, so I would recommend you eat about 1550 cals per day.

fat2fitradio.com said this
    point.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1696
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1943
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2190
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2437
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2685

So I'd say I'm probably lightly active.. I work 5 days a week as a checkout operator so standing all day for 6-7 hours usually but do move around and clean.

I'm buying a heartrate monitor today to see what I burn at work. Should I wear it for a week for an average or would one day suffice?
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am using the BMR for my goal calories. I am not using my TDEE, because I want to eat back my calories that I log on here. the difference between my BRM and TDEE is about 250 calores, as I set it as sedentary for my desk job, is about 200 calories or a little less than half a pound a week. Just started this today, so we will see what happens.
  • sweetg150
    sweetg150 Posts: 17
    Options
    Okay I have been wondering this for days.MFP has me at 1580 cal a day, that on the little/ no exercise. So I put in all my info into fat2fit and it says my bmr 2129 calories and then sedentary 2164. So there is a big difference. Can someone help explain what I need to be eating.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Okay I have been wondering this for days.MFP has me at 1580 cal a day, that on the little/ no exercise. So I put in all my info into fat2fit and it says my bmr 2129 calories and then sedentary 2164. So there is a big difference. Can someone help explain what I need to be eating.

I can't help you but I am also confused with MFP, I want to lose a KG a week (2lbs) with 7 days of 30 minute exercises. It's recommended 1200cal. But my BMR is 1313.
  • jfaure23
    Options
    My question is about how long will it take me to get to my goal if I eat my Fat2fit? I want to lose 13 more lbs. Fat2fit says my bmr is 1454 and sedentary is 1676.

Try this site --> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I use it in conjunction with my fat2fit calculations.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm using it!! I love it. I don't want this to be a diet, I want it to be a lifestyle change so this way seems better then eating at a defecit. :)
  • jfaure23
    Options

point.
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2685

So I'd say I'm probably lightly active.. I work 5 days a week as a checkout operator so standing all day for 6-7 hours usually but do move around and clean.

I'm buying a heartrate monitor today to see what I burn at work. Should I wear it for a week for an average or would one day suffice?

Hi Sazroy, I would suggest that you eat 1950 cals per day. If you do any extra exercise that is not part of your 'Lightly active' assessment, then you should eat back those calories that you burn. Mostly important to eat at least your BMR.

The heartrate monitor to get a baseline read you will want to use it for at least a few days if your days are fairly similar. Otherwise, if you find some days of the week your a very active, and others not at all active, you would want to use a weekly average. Knowing this will give you an average TDEE and you will want to eat somewhere between BMR and TDEE.
  • jfaure23
    Options

You have a very high BMR, that means your body needs lots of fuel! You should aim to eat about 2150 cals per day, and since you do not exercise frequently, you will also want to eat back your exercise calories burned. The best way to know how many cals you are burning is to get a good heart rate monitor. You can use the tools in MFP as a guide, but it may not be entirely accurate.

For more calculators, try this site --> http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jfaure23
    Options
    I'm using it!! I love it. I don't want this to be a diet, I want it to be a lifestyle change so this way seems better then eating at a defecit. :)

Makes us smart, doesn't it? ;)
  • sazroy
    Options

point.

Hi Sazroy, I would suggest that you eat 1950 cals per day. If you do any extra exercise that is not part of your 'Lightly active' assessment, then you should eat back those calories that you burn. Mostly important to eat at least your BMR.

The heartrate monitor to get a baseline read you will want to use it for at least a few days if your days are fairly similar. Otherwise, if you find some days of the week your a very active, and others not at all active, you would want to use a weekly average. Knowing this will give you an average TDEE and you will want to eat somewhere between BMR and TDEE.

I wish I'd done all this earlier, I want to start losing weight again NOW! Lol not in a week or two once I've sussed everything out.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you want a flat figure for cals per day then Fat 2 Fit is probably great, but like another poster said you need to be consistent with your exercise. I think adding 200-300 to your katch mc ardle BMR figure and eating back the exercise cals might be a good starting point. This is what I am trying to start on the advice of Helloitsdan.

xx

ello

Please let me know how it goes as I'm using the flat number method as advised by Psulemon (who generally advises the same as Helloitsdan, based on Fat2Fit). I'm only a few days in so far and have had some initial gain but i'm going to give it a month I think.
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My calories are set at 2151. The F2F number for my maintenance at my goal weight. I have been loosing about a pound a week. Granted I have only been doing this for 2/3 weeks. I am happier and so much more energetic so I can take my daily walks that I like.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Heart rate monitors don't work for counting calories throughout the day. You need a bodybugg or fitbit for that sort of thing. A HRM is only meant to estimate calories burned when the heart is at a hightened rate for an extended period of time (exercise).
  • eden2004
    eden2004 Posts: 34
    Options
    So according to Fit2Fat, my goal weight's sedentary calorie intake is 1756. I workout 4 days a week. Should I leave it on 1756 and then eat back my exercise calories?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    So according to Fit2Fat, my goal weight's sedentary calorie intake is 1756. I workout 4 days a week. Should I leave it on 1756 and then eat back my exercise calories?

You could, or eat between the range of 1756 and the next activity level up.
  • eden2004
    eden2004 Posts: 34
    Options

You could, or eat between the range of 1756 and the next activity level up.
    And then not eat my exercise calories?