First time dieting in my life... need help

Options
rajuabju
rajuabju Posts: 18 Member
So I have just started (as of Monday) my first diet ever.

I never needed to diet before. I was always naturally thin until I hit 25. Not sure what happened at that age, but over the last 5 years, I've slowly gained weight, so where I'm now at about 225 pounds. I want to get back down to 190, which is where I had historically been at.

I didnt know where to start, so I did a lot of internet research, and my wife helped me out... and she's cooking a lot healthier at night and packing lunches for me so I dont eat out at work.

Just jointed MFP on Monday and I need all the friends and support I can get so I dont fall off and start regressing! please add me!

Replies

• CindyM0605
    Options
    Hello! Nice to meet you. I understand the "what happened" thing. I think we all do. :D

But good for you to decide to change it! That's the first step, right? If I can offer some advice? Don't look at it as a "diet". Think of it more as a "life style change".

That's the first thing I learned when I joined Weight Watchers a few years back. "Diet" sounds too much like a fad or a temporary thing, but "life style change" sounds more long-term - at least to me. And believe me, once you get in that mind set, it really helps!

Congrats on starting and good luck!! Feel free to add me as well!

Cindy :D
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the above. Diets suck...lifestyle changes don't necessary have to suck.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! You'll find a lot of support here!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    dont "diet" diets are meant to be short term then you stop

this should be a "life style " change .. just eat more veggies, fruits, lean proteins and such and less of the junk (chips, cookies, cake etc)
    but dont deprive yourself , if you want something have it, just a smaller portion that fits into your calories

and welcome to MFP :smile:
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with the others. "Diet" to me implies deprivation which leads to feelings of guilt and shame when one does not stick to the plan. I eat what I want but I make it fit within my calorie goal for the day.

You will get a lot of help and support here.
  • rajuabju
    rajuabju Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO MUCH for the feedback, and after thinking about it, I have to agree 100%... its not a diet that I need, but a change in my eating habits.

I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted. But now i just have to be mindful of it as I get older. Not that I need to 100% cut out all the 'fun' stuff... just change the frequency and portions.

Thanks again for your support!!!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My advice...don't diet.

They don't work, and you usually go back to your old habits.

Diets are too temporary.

You need to make a permanent change if you want to keep the weight off.
  • bambiemd
    bambiemd Posts: 14
    Options
    You need to develop healthy eating habits...
    Use low fat cooking methods (poaching, roasting, bbq, grill, steaming)
    Don't skip meals
    Eat at least 1200 Calories a day
    Exercise at least 30 mins a day.. A jog with the dog in fresh air.. Its so relaxing!
    Reward yourself with something other than food!
    Drink ice cold water (And skip the sodas).. At least 8 glasses a day!
    Avoid processed food
    And eat veggies!! Makes you feel fuller longer n very low in calories!
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi. I've only been on here since February, but I find alot of helpful information here, whether about eating or excersing. It helps just logging your food and being aware of what you put in your mouth. Read the sucess stories, great motovator.