The Melting Pot

Options
I'm going out tonight to the Melting Pot. I have never been there and I'm not quite sure what to expect. The website doesn't have a menu or nutrition info. Can fondue really be a meal???

If you have been there please give me some insight. What to eat, what to avoid. I'm vegetarian, only eat chicken or fish on occasions if I have no other options. (And I have had a few too many of those occasions lately, so i'd rather not do it again tonight) Should I maybe just have dinner at home and just slurge on the wine and fellowship, not the fondue? Really wish the girls would have taken my suggestion for sushi...I could go for a veggie roll and seaweed salad. [{sigh}]:ohwell:

Replies

• jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    First off, sushi sounds so good right now! Second, if you eat at the Melting Pot you better just count it as a spluge day and have a great time! I'm vegetarian also, and there is PLENTY to eat there. You start of with a gooey pot of cheese! YUM! It takes a very long time to eat there, so if you ate at home before you may find yourself dipping in after sitting at the table for an hour and a half!

ENJOY!:bigsmile:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    While it may be hard you can make good choices at the Melting Pot. You can skip the cheese if you chose. You can have the salad with no dressing or on the side. When they bring the entree there are lots of veggies you can munch on. If you dont bread your meat it will save a lot. My weakness would be the dessert, but they do bring some fruit for dessert so you could enjoy that. it could be a little splurge but you can control it. Hope this helps.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    We have a local place like that and its very filling, i was really surprised how filling it was. And we didnt get any meats either just the regular plate that comes with veggies, bread, and fruit. Im sure the cheese is quite fattening tho, be nice if they used low fat cheese. I would just say everything in moderation, maybe just have a lil and then just fill up on the fruits and veggies.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    hmmmmm....Thanks for the input.
    I hate to sound like a baby, but I think if we can't agree on a restaurant I may skip out tonight. I found a little bit of a menu somewhere on the web....HOLY prices batman! If I'm going to slurge on calories and cost, I need to enjoy it. This place is not sounding appetizing to me and I am flat broke.

My cousin picked this place, she is in town only this weekend. Haven't seen her since Easter and won't see her again till Christmas. Boy o Boy am I in a pickle.:grumble: :indifferent: Mmmm, a pickle sounds good.:laugh:
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I hear you girl, i am going out to eat with my girlfriends monday night and they asked for me to pick where we were going and i said Nikkis sushi...i figured i could get away with not going too over my calorie intake if i went that route plus it sounds so good!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Yeah melting pot is terribly expensive. However, I did go there once and get a small pot of cheese with veggies and bread, then we got a chocolate pot with fruit, brownies, cheesecake, marshmallows, etc. I shared with two other people and my meal ended up being around $20. That was only because we ordered a la cart. If you get the meal that they suggest it can easily be $50. Wouldn't be very smart for a vegetarian to spend $50 on a bunch of meat that they can't even eat. Maybe you could just suggest somewhere else and say that you can't really find anything there to suit you. Perhaps that would work?
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The Melting Pot is expensive but the food is great. You can have a healthy meal there so it's worth going. During the 1st course they serve 2 kinds of cheese with breads and fruit. The 2nd course is your meat and veggies. It can be healthy if you get at least 1 of the pots broth instead of both being oil. The 3rd course is dessert and you get 2 choices of chocolate. Just have a couple pieces and you wont blow your calories for the day.
  • mercedesarielle
    Options
    The melting pot is fabulous my boyfriend took me there a few weeks ago. We had The "Big Night Out" which is a 4 course meal for two. I'm not crazy about the first course but they have a delicious salad with rasberry black walnut dressing. It's a religious experience! Enjoy but be prepared to be at the gym putting in work tomorrow!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I started out worried about making the proper food choices for my health and now I'm more worried about the cost more than anything. :noway: My health can afford a bad choice, my wallet...not so much!

I'm going to go vegan tonight, so that will get me out of the whole pricey meal schebang. (and I won't have to have the pity "we'll pay for you" arguement. I'll just get a salad or something else cheap and eat some raw almonds on the way there to keep me full. I also had a pretty big lunch for the same reason. It should be easy since I don't even think like fondue.:indifferent: (I have weird issues with communal foods) I also got a cupon for playing some silly game on facebook, it is for a free desert for 2. I'll save my splurge for the dessert and wine:wink::wink:

You can get the cupon if you go to themeltingpot.com and click on the link to thier facebook application, play the silly game and then download the cupon.:flowerforyou:

Thanks for all the info guys!!!! I :heart: my MFP peeps!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No matter what you're going to have a great time with your friends and that's what it's all about. Enjoy your evening.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The melting pot can be rough if you're a fan of cheese, and/or chocolate. But the main course is actually relatively healthy. Up to you, if you can curb the cheese and bread consumption, then it's probably ok.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I had a really good time! I did skip the cheese and bread, had a salad and half of the Vegetarian entree and splurged on dessert. The dessert was worth it all!!!!:love:

I don't think I would ever go there again tho. I didn't think the entree was that great, mostly because of all the raw meat cooking in the same pot.:sick: And it was just too expensive.

Mostly just being with my cousin and friends was what made it a great time. (the wine helped too):wink: Thanks for all your help!!!! I get it now, lol, I had a vision of fondue like my mom used to make.....velveeta and bread chunks:laugh:
    But now I understand that it is way more than that:blushing:
  • ts6v8pl
    Options
    I eat at Melting Pot weekly because my son loves it. When you eat there weekly you learn the tricks on cost and calories. What I do is limit myself to 2 portions of swiss cheese and dunk broccoli in it. That is enough to fill me if I drink hot tea. Sometimes I will throw a few potatoes in the oil pot, but those can be dangerous if you put toppings on them. This leaves me full and with a low check.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I eat at Melting Pot weekly because my son loves it. When you eat there weekly you learn the tricks on cost and calories. What I do is limit myself to 2 portions of swiss cheese and dunk broccoli in it. That is enough to fill me if I drink hot tea. Sometimes I will throw a few potatoes in the oil pot, but those can be dangerous if you put toppings on them. This leaves me full and with a low check.

The last post was five years ago.

Why would you necro this?