Sweets :)

Options
I have recently noticed a pattern in my eating habits and wondered if any fellow mfp friends have the same issue. I am fine with keeping on track and eating healthy foods... The minute I let myself eat a sweet (mainly cupcakes :love: ) I binge for a few days then get back on track... It's almost as if I give myself permission. Is this a body chemistry component or just plain carelessness? Btw... I won't touch sweets now that I recognize this issue. I am not able to control moderation. It will be a lifelong issue if I even have a taste.

Replies

• marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue Im good now ( except that time of the month) with avoiding sweets. If avoiding them is what you need just keep doing it for awhile then slowely add sweets back in with ur less favorites. It will take away to break the addiction. What really worked for me is stumbling upon a quote. " It doesnt make sense to say OH i just ate something bad might as well eat some more, thats like saying oh i dropped my phone might as well stomp on it till it doesnt work." I always hated myself once I ate something bad so then I binged. This quote made me realize it was my cravings making me eat the food it was my low self esteem
  • sarah1211
    sarah1211 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same issue Im good now ( except that time of the month) with avoiding sweets. If avoiding them is what you need just keep doing it for awhile then slowely add sweets back in with ur less favorites. It will take away to break the addiction. What really worked for me is stumbling upon a quote. " It doesnt make sense to say OH i just ate something bad might as well eat some more, thats like saying oh i dropped my phone might as well stomp on it till it doesnt work." I always hated myself once I ate something bad so then I binged. This quote made me realize it was my cravings making me eat the food it was my low self esteem

Wow! Great quote! I will remember that now. I always think, if I ate bad in the morning.... The rest of the day is shot. Thanks for the message!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am like you and LOVE sweets......I am trying to learn to stay away from them but it is soooooo very hard for me. Keep up the good job and know that we are all supporting you and we have all had this problem from time to time.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's good to have a small sweet snack once in a while. Could be a piece of chocolate,popsicle or ice cream...The reason why people binge is because they don't allow themselves sweets at all, but if you have a sweet everytime you reach a small goal or even once a week it's fine! It's not like a half cup of ice cream will make you gain 5 pounds.

The one thing you must remember is that this journey isn't temporary - it's for life! You can't go back to your old eating habits, you still have to eat healthy and eat at weight maintenance level when you reach your weight-loss goal. So then...Are you going to skip on sweets your whole life? I don't think so, you're going to want to have some once in a while so why not start now?
  • sarah1211
    Options
    Thanks Bev. Its extremely hard! My friends and I get together for girl nights and pig-out on cakes, candy and ice cream. It's almost sad that I can't control it. I wish I could give myself that luxury once a month but unfortunately it would destroy my efforts. "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • SirBeechBum
    Options
    It's because sugar is evil! :drinker: I have the same weakness but MFP has made me "strong like bull":laugh:

All kidding aside, more and more studies are finding that sugar can be very addictive and it is NOT good for us. 60 Minutes recently ran a story I think is very telling if you're interested...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n

It’s hard but we can beat the cravings…
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't sweets, its eating out. I love takeout and restaurant food and if I go once, I will go every day. I really have to force myself to eat at home and have fruits and veggies because Home Style Bean Curd at lunch will turn into Outback for dinner, and drinks with friends on the weekend, and craving for chicken nuggets and it goes on and on and on.

Usually if I cook a good meal I can cut the craving, but it is still a slippery slope
  • sarah1211
    Options
    Thanks for all the perspectives! I am comforted in the fact that I'm not alone in this struggle. Sugar/food is addictive!!!!!!!!!l It's ashame its not fully recognized by the psychologically field. I hope more research is done to find the culprit.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It was suggested to me that if i want something bad i have to eat 3 things that are good first. This has helped me some times I am full and don't want it. the other thing to try is eat something that you can control and try avoiding the things that are hard for you to control. It took me a while to get the hang of this. just keep trying and dont beat your self up when to do. just put it behind you and get back on track. Good Luck!