Canned Veggies?

Options
Hey people!
I live in a big family and we don't exactly buy a lot of fresh Veggies or fruit.
I know canned fruit has added sugars and what not.
But what about canned veggies?
Do they still give the nutrition fresh veggies do or are they a waist of time?

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    canned veggies are not your best option. They usually have a ton of sodium and many of the nutrients have been cooked out of them. Frozen is a great option if fresh isn't as accessible for you. Often times, frozen veggies were picked at a good time and have lots of good nutrients :)
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can also rinse off the canned veggies or buy the no sodium canned veggies. Frozen is still better than the canned.
  • GreenEyedDork
    GreenEyedDork Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    alright thanks I'll see to getting frozen
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Also canned vegetables taste like ...well they dont taste like the original vegetable just like the metal of the can., that would definately be the way to turn you off eating veggies for life.
    If you can't get fresh go frozen. Living out in the country, maybe start growing your own as well?

You have been missing out on alot of great tasting food. I love trying new foods even if it ends up being something I am not crazy about. Be adventurous and have fun!
  • hvpooly
    hvpooly Posts: 39
    Options
    I live on canned and frozen veggies. I rinse my canned veggies off really well. Not sure if it's doing anything. I don't like raw veggies and I can never seem to eat the fresh ones fast enough.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies are full of sodium and they taste kinda crappy. Spring for the frozen ones. If you go to places like Aldi you can find larger bags at better prices. But I find them on sale a lot in my local chain grocery store too (usually 2 for $3). Don't buy the flavored ones because they are typically more expensive and still full of sodium and sugar.

Broccoli and corn and carrots usually come in the larger "family sized bags"....French Cut green beans go a long way too.

The only thing I will buy in a can is beets, corn, and beans and I use that for salads mostly.

Also, fresh kale, collards, turnip greens, cabbage, and carrots tend to be cost effective and more long lasting in the fridge. But, you have to like those veggies, and know what you are doing when you cook them (the good thing about kale is that it is fairly inexpensive and can be used to make smoothies, kale chips, and in veggie lasagnas).

A good kid friendly carrot recipe is to boil the carrots to taste in water, a teaspoon of honey and raisins. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon after. Goes well with baked chicken and a bag of carrots can be pretty cheap. Good luck!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes, frozen veggies or "no salt added" canned veggies are solid alternatives.....
  • Reddak98
    Reddak98 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy fresh veggies at a local farmers market?
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    If you can not buy fresh, frozen is your next best option.
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love canned peas and i love canned carrots too : ) yumm