Protein. . .how do you fit it in?

Options
I'm following a pretty healthy menu, but I am falling short on protein. Looking for ideas.

Replies

• cindyfaye
    cindyfaye Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm following a pretty healthy menu, but I am falling short on protein. Looking for ideas.
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I just made a great dinner with lots of protein about 53 grams...Salsa Chicken and refried beans with 2% shredded mexican cheese. Just cover a chicken breast with low sodium taco seasoning, then cover with thick and chunky salsa and bake for about 45 minutes. Then cover with cheese. Microwave the beans and then top beans with a little cheese. The chicken, beans and cheese all have quite a bit of protein. Hope this helps.:wink:
  • txsandra33
    txsandra33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is lots of protein in turkey and its very lean and low on calories. (even the dark meat) I sub red meat with turkey. My family hasnt even noticed the difference. I also eat a lot of the white parts of boiled eggs as snacks when I get around to making them.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello! There are so many options!! lean ham, or turkey sandwiches on wheat, tuna, eggs, yogurt, beans....I love scrambled egg whites in the morning with a yogurt, for lunch a salad with deli meat, or leftovers(diced chicken, sliced steak) and dinner maybe chicken stir-fry!! If you are a vegetarian try soy products, nuts, peanut butter, beans....hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • cindyfaye
    cindyfaye Posts: 72
    Options
    awesome, thanks for the ideas.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    fish, eggs, poultry, milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, and beans are the easiest ways to get lots of protein. Many fruits and vegetables have it in them too:drinker:
  • riotthyme
    riotthyme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I was cooking for a vegetarian family I had to learn how to sneak a lot of protein into things. As everyone suggested there's eating more lean meat, nuts, etc... But what I tended to do was to replace things that required cream/milk/butter some sort of creamy thing with soft tofu that got blended into the sauce.

But I don't know how that'll work into your calorie intake for the day. For them, since they drank 2% milk, it cut down a lot on calories.