FRUSTRATION

Options
My friend and I both decided we needed to lose weight and tone up. It was a great time for us to do it and what better way to lose weight than with your friend. I decided to do MFP and set my goal at 2 lbs per week, eat healthy, not cut out anything, but eat in moderation and stay within my calories. I have tried to follow this, having lost 28 lbs, since January 1st. My friend cut out all 'white' food, soda, junk and has lost 55 lbs in the same amt of time. Now. I know that 28 lbs is great and I am proud of what I have done...BUT 55 is so much better!! I am over the moon happy for her, but at the same time frustrated at my seemingly slow progress. I have also hit a plateau, not losing anything, and beginning to feel like I should just go back to eating whatever I want. I need to hear that 2 lbs a week is realistic and wanting more is crazy...because I want to lose it all now!!!

Replies

• Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different so don't go stressing too much. Why don't you try her diet to see whether it benefits you more? In any case, you should already be proud about losing 28 lbs. Don't forget the hard work it took you to get there!
  • AprilEC
    AprilEC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing!! However, everybody is so different. For example, if your friend weighs more than you do, she is going to lose a little bit faster than you. The smaller you are, the harder it is! 2 pounds is realistic. I shoot for 1 pound a week. After talking it out with my wellness cordntr. at work, she helped me find what was a healthy weight loss for me by calculating my current weight, age gender, blah blah blah. You want to lose weight at a healthy rate, otherwise....its going to come right back!! Make sure you're always eating all of your calories, however, switch it up sometimes. Your body thrives off of change. So, eat all your calories one day, be a little under another and maybe go 100 over every once in a while. Only weigh yourself once a week at most (I struggle with that sometimes!). Fill your body with good full calories...whole grains, fruits, vegetables. Make sure to snack during the day. It's SO important to give your body fuel so it keeps your metabolism up. This is just a start of things to try!! It should be a life style change, not just another diet. Keep your head up and just know that weight loss takes time!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm very similar to you in that I've lost some weight but have much more to go. This is a process. Be proud of what you've accomplished and continue doing what you have been doing. I've added regular walking and bike riding, along with keeping track of calories burned with a Fitbit device (www.fitbit.com) or you can get them through Amazon. If you need support along the way, keep putting out these types of posts and you'll find all kinds of support!:smile:
  • yayagocrazy
    yayagocrazy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    its in the math ... dont forget , now that you are 28 lbs lighter , you are burning less calories in the every day things you do and when you exercise...
    try working on adding more strength training to build muscle , which will burn more calories, or adjust your calorie goal for the day. ...
    you might also have a harder time processing sugars and should try and sub out processed foods for whole grain. ..

55lbs can come off fast with no carbs, but it can come right back on just as fast if you dont keep it...

low and slow is the way to go !
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just to show everyone is different, I quit white food, junk, & soda, around the first of January, but have only lost 28 lbs, & also at a plateau. I have about 70 more pounds to lose.
  • el223029
    el223029 Posts: 26
    Options
    Try switching up your macro nutrient allocation. Upping your protein will help and adding in weights, even if minimal, will up your metabolism which will help you push through the plateau. Your body is great at adapting so the more you switch things up the less likely a plateau will be
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    ...and I started in Jan too. Never ate THAT bad, just too much. I started tracking and staying within my calories and increased my exercise. I have only lost 18 lbs. I am happy with it, even if it is slow. We all lose at different rates. Find blessings and acknowledge the positive things!! Weight off is MUCH better than weight on.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    55 pounds is only better if it is kept off. I think most people would find it hard to stay on a very restrictive diet long term. Then the weight comes back faster than it fell off.

Also, if your friend has more to lose, she will likely lose it faster.
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    I hear you. But just know there are other's (like myself) who might fall to frustration easier because of their slower progress but I choose not to. You see my 7 lbs right? It is only driving me further to GET IT DONE even if it has me experimenting with everything until I "get it". Imagine this: I realized I totally needed to get some fat off back in November and began a strenuous excersice routine (that is two months earlier than you started). Nothing was happening so I realized it's totally my calorie intake. Still....extremely slow progress. Then, I start switching all my food choices around to where I'm eating organic, whole wheat, stevia for sugar etc....still slow. I get a personal trainer. I buy into ads on FB that I could have gotten the same info here on MFP for free. Then, I go to the Dr. to check all my blood levels and ask MY DOC about what my calorie goal should be and should I be eating my exercise calories back (because this is what I have been doing bc everyone here says to). Surprise surprise, I got my results back today and my cholesterol is wonderful and my thyroid is functioning fine. Finally got my question answered about eating my calories back and my doc said NO. I, personally, need to eat 1500 cals a day no matter how much I workout. With all that being said....I choose not to be frustrated, I am completely on a roll and will be trying even harder...I know it will pay off and I don't care how long it takes...I just know I will get there. You will too, you just have to know it and not give up and go backwards. Good luck and best wishes!
  • agentjellybean
    agentjellybean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    You probably don't realize how common your "problem" is. Plateaus happen. You're right ,its rough. And Yep, it can make you want to give up, throw your arms up in the air while drowning your sorrows in a whole tub of some double fudge chocolately ice cream deliciousness but that would be a completely dumb thing to do to yourself . You would be going against everything you have so ardently worked towards. I, like you and so many people here, know all too well how hard and frustrating it is. Lately, I myself have been dealing with an uncooperative metabolism, that has done all its could to keep grasp on the weight I so desperately want to shake off. So take comfort in knowing there are plenty of people experiencing the same thing as you. You should resist the urge to compare yourself to your friend's progress, it 's not fair to yourself and to all the hard work you have accomplished. Anyways if the tables were turned I'm sure you wouldn't want your friend beating herself up because you lost more that she did, instead you be proud of her and would encourage her to keep going. I guess you can say this weight loss thing can be a little " field of dreams". Just keep at it and you will see it come off.
    PERSISTENCE IS KEY FOR SUCCESS ( its how you lost those first 28 :smile: )
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    THE THING IS THE WAY YOUR DOING IT IS MORE OF A LIFESTYLE CHANGE.. AND MUCH EASIER TO STICK WITH FOR THE LONG TERM... TRY AND STAY POSITIVE.. AND JUST FOCUS ON HOW MUCH YOU HAVE LOST... THAT IS AN AMAZING NUMBER.. GREAT JOB!!!