New breakfast idea needed

Options
I don't like to wake up and eat. So, I take my breakfast into work with me and take a quick little break in the morning.
I have been eating Greek yogurt with jam but realized that I've been starting my day by eating 35 grams of sugar!!!

Any ideas for a healthy, yummy, and portable breakfast?

Replies

• 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    I like plain 0% Fage Greek yogurt with a couple of packets of stevia.

Dr. Oz showed a good looking breakfast of Greek yogur,t mixed with a few shredded wheat, walnuts and a bit of honey. They called it Baklava Yogurt.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    English muffin with peanut butter
    Scrambled egg breakfast burrito
    Oatmeal..
    Fruit
    Omelet
    Almonds with dried fruits
    Cream cheese with whole wheat bagel

All of these are portable..
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Check out the baked blueberry and peach oatmeal on emilybites.com. its so tasty and reheats well
  • Hopey33
    Hopey33 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Dr. Oz showed a good looking breakfast of Greek yogur,t mixed with a few shredded wheat, walnuts and a bit of honey. They called it Baklava Yogurt.

Wow that looks good
  • cherylmonson
    Options
    I religiously eat a homemade muslie and skim milk. Just oats (I mix old fashioned and quick) raisins, nuts, seeds, really whatever I feel like. My taste buds adjusted to the lack of sweetness in a matter of days. I take it wherever I do overnights.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I mix whey protein usually vanilla or chocolate flavor ( I like Body Evolution Brand), with powdered peanut butter 4T, and flax seed 2T. It's right at 400 calories, gives me 21carbs, 11g fat and 55g Protein. I have baggies made up of the mixture and can toss it in my bag and go. One of those mixer bottles you can get, powder, water and WaLa....Yummy, satisfying and good for you! :flowerforyou:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I don't like to wake up and eat. So, I take my breakfast into work with me and take a quick little break in the morning.
    I have been eating Greek yogurt with jam but realized that I've been starting my day by eating 35 grams of sugar!!!

Any ideas for a healthy, yummy, and portable breakfast?

Carbmaster yogurt is only 3g. sugar for 8 oz, lots of flavors, Kroger stores carry it-- like Fred Meyer and QFC

Egg cups are make ahead and very portable--there are some recipes for them on my breakfast board on Pinterest:
    http://pinterest.com/issypal/
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here are three that might work for you. The first 2 are from a South Beach Diet group, and the last one is adapted from a SBD recipe. (The original called for Egg Beater stuff rather than eggs.) The last two can be eaten warm or cold.

Breakfast bars

1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup DRY milk powder (non-fat milk)
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed RIPE bananas or combo of the two
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon (or more) of cinnamon
    add as desired or needed:
    sweetner (splenda works or sf syrups such as vanilla or caramel)
    cut up dried fruit
    chopped nuts

Pour/glop into the pan, bake for about 22 minutes till the edges brown and come away from the pan. Let cool, remove from pan cut into six bars
    2 bars per serving, bag into individual servings and refrigerate.

Sausage Muffins
    yield 8 muffins

1/2 lb. turkey italian sausage
    3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheese (mozz., cheddar, italian blend, etc.)
    1 cup egg substitute (or 4 large eggs, beaten)
    1 slice whole grain bread
    3/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
    Romano cheese

Spray muffin tin with pam. Remove sausage from casings, crumble and cook thoroughly in pam-sprayed skillet. Drain any fat. Crumble bread into tiny pieces (but not quite as small as breadcrumbs) and mix with cooked sausage. Add egg substitute (or beaten eggs) and Italian Seasoning. Mix well. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the bread absorbs most of the egg. Stir in cheese. Divide among 8 muffin cups, pressing mixture down with back of spoon. Sprinkle tops with romano cheese. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown on edges. Cool 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm or cold.

Divide among 8 muffin cups, pressing mixture down with back of spoon. Sprinkle tops with romano cheese. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown on edges. Cool 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm or cold.

Breakfast Quiche to Go

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
    6 eggs
    3/4 cup shredded cheese
    1/3 cup diced bell pepper (any color)
    1/3 cup diced onion
    1/3 cup cooked turkey sausage (optional) or 1/3 cup bacon (optional)
    1/3 cup shredded carrot (optional)
    3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
    Defrost the spinach. Drain the excess liquid. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray (VERY IMPORTANT). Combine the eggs, cheese, peppers, onions, spinach and any other optional ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt with peanut butter. Or agave.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    would it be better just with sugar free jam??
    I eat breakfast on the go too. I mix yogurt with cottage cheese and a bit of Kashi berry cereal on top.
    i love muffins...Southbeach Diet has some great recipes. add a hard boiled egg on the side and some fruit.
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    yum!!

• ErikaNichele
    Options
    bump
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Chop up one Roma tomato and 1 to 2 servings of spinach.
    Scramble 2 to 3 eggs
    Cook both in separate pans
    Just cook the spinach until its reduced
    Once cooked add both to a single plastic portable container
    Add one serving of Feta crumbles to the container
    When ready to eat shake container to mix it up.

Very tasty and less than 300 calories with 2 eggs.

Takes me about 10 minutes total to prepare.
  • blondiEyyc
    blondiEyyc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K in the mornings...
  • MantraMommy
    Options
    Jewels211: LOVE your recipes. I want to move beyond yogurt because of the sugar but also I've been eating it every morning for a few months now.
  • blondiEyyc
    blondiEyyc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Go to eatingwell.com its my new addiction