DOES WATER REALLY AFFECT WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
13»

Replies

• cshep2k
    cshep2k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just drink water. It is definitely good for you, and never mind the critic on the all capitals.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I really like the Mio water flavorings. They're a little pricey ($4 here in Utah), but I never thought twice about spending $4 on soda. I figure it's sixes with the money and at least I'm drinking lots of water.

We use them at my house and add them to sparkling water (as it has less salt than club soda) and custom make decaf soda to taste. They disappear fast sometimes but we just stock up on the strawberry melon ;)
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Proper hydration is a must for sustained weight loss. Most people go around dehydrated most of the time, causing the body to retain water, and appearing like more weight on the body.
    Does water help you lose weight? No. But here's some things it can do to maximize your weight loss:
    Keep you fuller longer
    Clear your complexion (ok, not weight loss, but who wouldn't like this??)
    Keep your digestive tract working properly
    Flush "toxins" out of your body
    Flush excess sodium
    Minimize the occurence of kidney stones
    Reduce the chances of getting a bladder or UT infection
    Keeps the liver and kidneys functioning properly
    Lubricates the joints
    Allows you to sweat properly
    Reduce bloating and water retention

Hope something here helps motivate you! I drink around a gallon of water a day. More in the summer, less in the winter. But I drink more tea in the winter, so I'm still getting my fluids!

Great info!!!!
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    You know, I actually do think it helps you lose weight, I am constantly running to the bathroom! LOL
    Should I log that as exercise? (kidding)
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great info and for the critic: apparently the all caps got your attention cause you still replied. Pendejo!

From now ill just drink more water for the 'good health' part of it, instead of weight loss.

And I will still post topics with all caps on, AND SO WHAT? If you don't like it then don't read my post.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great info and for the critic: apparently the all caps got your attention cause you still replied. Pendejo!

From now ill just drink more water for the 'good health' part of it, instead of weight loss.

And I will still post topics with all caps on, AND SO WHAT? If you don't like it then don't read my post.

I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH CAPS LOCK!
  • ann506
    ann506 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about cups in terms of 8 ounces? If you are I'd say that's pretty low. I'd definitely try to get more. But I can't imagine that you only drink 16 oz. of water a day, with no other beverages either.

If you just mean cups as in the glass you are using, it could be a lot more reasonable. The cups I use probably hold about 25 ounces, and I think two of those is a much better goal. If this is the case, you're in much better shape. Especially if you're eating a lot of water dense fruits and veggies.

But for future reference, log cups as 8 oz. from now on, if you aren't already.
  • Thomakk
    Thomakk Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maybe it depends on the person, but for me absolutely Yes!

I've been stalled in my weight loss and very frustrated. For various reasons (dry skin, advice from friends, etc) I decided to double my water from 64 oz/day to 1 gal/day. Within a 24 hour period my skin became softer and within 2 days a dropped a pound. I don't think it was a coincidence.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I appreciate everyones input and advice.
  • the90daybody
    Options
    Water can be an appetite suppressant and a combat for needless eating.

How do I say so?

Well, Water tricks the body into thinking it's not hungry. When dieters consume greater amounts of water, they eat less. Water temporarily reduces even real hunger feelings, so dieters don't need to eat as frequently. Drinking water with a meal reduces the room in the stomach for food, reducing the amount of food eaten.

Water combats needless eating. The dehydration is such a common issue, many people mistake thirst for hunger. The best way to combat needless eating is to drink a glass of water and wait 30 minutes before munching. If the hunger pangs stick around, grab a bite to eat. However, in many cases, the glass of water will eliminate the urge to eat.

It is also helpful for Waste Removal simply because Water is necessary for proper digestion. By drinking plenty of water, the stomach and intestines digest food at a quicker rate than if the body doesn't have enough water. Kidneys depend on water to help flush out waste into the urine. When the body is free from waste, the liver is able to flush out fat at an optimum level.

For water retention - Drinking plenty of water reduces the amount of water the body retains. When the body is dehydrated, it holds onto water, trying to store it in case of emergency. However, when water replenishment is continuous, the body doesn't hold onto excess water, since it is readily available. Hope this helps.:-)

Exercise

Water is a necessity for those who work out. Dehydration reduces strength and endurance during workouts, so fitness requires plenty of water consumption. When trying to lose weight, exercise plays an important role, and drinking water will make or break an exercise routine.

Mindless Munching

When a dieter consciously makes an effort to drink more water, mindless munching drastically decreases. Every time there is an urge to snack, a bottle of water comes to the rescue. Sipping on water continuously makes avoiding snacks easier. Once drinking water becomes a habit, snack avoidance is much easier, leading to more significant weight loss.

Overall Health

When the body is at its peak, fat burning is optimal. The human body consists of roughly 60 percent water. When dehydrated, every system in the body suffers, from temperature regulation to mental clarity. It is imperative that the body has the appropriate amount of water to ensure that everything, including fat burning, functions as it should.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!! google why.