vent

Options
Hello everyone,
I am the worst when it comes to being disciplined and deter mined to lose weight. ILast summer I was so determined and managed to lose 20lbs. I started at 198 and got down to 178. I maintained and then tired to lose, but I just feel this urge to binge. Every night I tell myself that tomorrow I will be better, and I fail every time. I hate the way I look and although I want to make a change, I feel my will power is terrible.I am now 190 again and I feel this will never end

Replies

• Jscheu1
    Jscheu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Its not easy to resist....But you have to want it. When I am dieting and I look at food before I eat it I ask myself "is this going to get me closer to my goal or further away?" and then I decide what to do based on that answer. Or honestly...Rinse your mouth with some mouth wash everytime you get tempted to eat something you dont want to...works for me sometimes. Just want it. Picture it. and go for it.
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Im so in the same boat I got really serious and lost almost 30 lbs but I have been doing so terrible lately and im gaining again. I feel the same way you do but I think we can both get it back together im so unhappy right now that it obviously means someting to me to get serious. Just remember you're doing it for you!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. The hardest step is always the first one... Well, actually even harders still is steps back down a road you feel you have failed on. Perhaps one thing you can try here is trying to replace the activity of overeating with the activity of exercise. Another thing is find good friends to help you along the journey.. and make you more accountable. Another thing perhaps is to realize that you have to really be ready for change and be committed to that change for it to truly happen for you. All that being said... YOU CAN DO IT. MAKE it happen for you... And don't take "NO" for an answer...
  • eka_woodpecka
    Options
    Every time that you feel that you are about to binge, call a friend or talk to someone in your family to help distract you. Go for a walk or do something to occupy your mind. Another idea might be to imagine yourself with the body of your dreams. Imagine seeing your goal weight on the scale and the motivation should help. Also drink water. It will help you stay fuller longer.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with healthy food.

Don't eat less food. Don't allow yourself to get hungry.

Eat healthier food and let it fill you up.

If you binge once in a while, don't allow yourself to fret over it.

If you catch yourself binging, force yourself yourself count to one hundred between bites(go ahead, do it as fast as you can).

Sounds stupid? Go ahead. Try it.

It will break a binge.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    just remember, because us MFP'ers are eating so well, it doesn't take much to be "bad". For example, if i gorge myself on 8 oz. of frozen yogurt from the local place, I feel like i did a total binge, but it's only like 380 calories or so. even though it felt incredibly wicked at the time (and probably saved my sanity) it didn't completely wreck my day.

something else i've eaten a bit of is sugar free chocolates. it's certainly not healthy, but it's not as bad as the regular stuff. I had a mini NSV reward today that consisted of 2 pecan turtles that were sugar free. total calorie deficit was 130.

and if you go completely crazy and demolish the leftover easter candy aisle at the store just remember, tomorrow is another day. don't beat yourself up for every failure - learn from it and move on.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to bingte is the question. What is the underlying cause of it?
    Personally I snack almost straight after dinner out of boredom so I find something that doesn't allow boredom to set in.
    Find the catalyst for wanting binge.
  • Jo_permiegirl
    Jo_permiegirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mauri66... why?? I know I am an emotional eater so when I start to look into the cupboard every 5 mins and tell myself that it will be ok cause I can work it off tomorrow I sit down with a cuppa (with skim) and really have a hard think about why i want to eat. Am I hungry, bored or feeling a little stressed/depressed/sad.. it's usually not really hungry just one of the other 2. Do you have a friend that won't judge you who you could speak to about how you feel... good luck but you won't need it...you will find your mojo :wink:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Make goals. Have daily (exercise, drink so much water, eat so much protein, etc aside from the main calorie goal). Have a weekly goal (the goal you made when you signed up with MFP for how many minutes you aim to exercise each week for example.) And have a monthly goal and then some longer term goals (3 months, 6 months, etc). They don't have to be weight related since a number on the scale can be difficult to meet even if you're making progress.

For me right now I just started another round of P90X. This lends itself nicely to a three month goal. During those three months I am aiming to do my scheduled workouts (I have a daily plan as well as weekly). I am also aiming to eat within my macros, drink plenty of water and try to keep processed foods and alcohol to a minimum or nonexistent. Three months seems so much more doable than just the rest of my life stretching out endlessly before me! Do I intend to keep up the good habits? Yes, but if I have to manage them in little chunks that's what I will do.

One goal I have that I haven't implemented yet is to get in 10,000 steps a day. I need to buy new batteries for my pedometer before I can start that one but you can see they don't have to be big crazy goals. I just want to make sure I'm moving more during my day and a pedometer with a goal will help me do that. I might log my steps and set a monthly goal. I do have some rewards for doing some of these things. And I do have a big one for when I get to a certain point on the scale (long term goal). I'm going to get my first tattoo! Hopefully I have figured out what that will be by then. ;)
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your comments. I read each and I really appreciate your advice and encouragement.