Too Much Protein

Options
Hi,
Just new to this, but I am finding I am going over my protein limit every day. The others are fine just protein. Is this ok do you think?

Replies

• Jscheu1
    Jscheu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    How far over are you going?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein every single day. I don't worry about it at all, personally.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Just new to this, but I am finding I am going over my protein limit every day. The others are fine just protein. Is this ok do you think?

Assuming the following conditions:

1) You do not have kidney problems (and even this point is debatable since MFP limits are quite low).
    2) Your excess protein intake doesn't cause you to exceed your calorie limit.
    3) Your excess protein doesn't cause you to continually neglect dietary fat.

Then you're fine.

If any of the above are NOT true, then I'd change this habit.
  • bigmelly
    bigmelly Posts: 3
    Options
    Awesome. Wow thanks for the superfast replies. Huge help :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It depends how far over you are. Homeostasis will be able to compensate for overages on nutrients, but only to a point. Too much protein can lead to liver and kidney problems and can make your blood too acidic. To combat the high acidity, your body could start leaching calcium from your bones to act as a pH buffer, thus making your bones more brittle.

Despite what I just said, Sidesteal is correct. If you aren't substantially over for an extended amount of time, you should not have a problem
  • bigmelly
    bigmelly Posts: 3
    Options
    My daily goals is 45, but I am averaging around 54. I have had 2 days where it has been 70! Whoops, still getting the hang of it I guess.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    If 70 is your max.. then you're definately not going over. In fact it's probably good you're exceeding it as it seems set pretty darn low.
    Maybe you should look into macro splits and find something that is a bit higher in protein. I'm currently on 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat. And from what I've heard it's a good starting point. I've done amazingly at my weight lose since starting this.

Good Luck :)