Yoyo dieter :-(

Options
You name the diet i've done it, always get to goal weight but just cant maintain and once again i need to lose 2 stone! im 45, kids at Uni and just me, hubby and the dog at home. I feel its my time now but how do i break this circle? i have had opps on both knees so cant go running but i do walk the dog 3 times a day and have upped my pace and lenght of time (dog could also do with losing some lbs LOL!) anyone have any ideas how else i can burn the cals but more importantly staying focus once i have reached my goal weight

thank you in advance

Love Paula

(please add me to your friends list :heart: )

Replies

• Scrappy0419
    Scrappy0419 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im not sure this will work for you but I have to count calories. It has been effective. I have a target calorie count of 1600 to 2000 calories a day. But I do slip up some days and it has become harder to lose weight after having lost 25lbs....but good luck...:smile:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    ....but more importantly staying focus once i have reached my goal weight

Unfortunately, if it's to stay off you probably have to remain focused for a lot longer!

Making healthier choices at each meal will soon become commonplace. I think that's the best thing about calorie counting rather than counting sins or points or following very strict eating plans. As soon as you develop a taste for less naughty options you'll have cracked it. Good luck!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I was in your situation before but since I started counting calories & upping my metabolism by doing more weight lifting exercises, so far I'm able to maintain my loss. Cardio has its place but definitely won't do wonders for your metabolism unless you accompany it with weight lifting. In fact the reason why you don't maintain the loss is because you are losing muscle when you are in a calorie deficit & we know that muscle is our body's most efficient fat burner so that is why we have to build it or preserve it through weight lifting. When I say weight lifting I don't mean lifting those tiny pink 2 lb dumbbells, I mean a weight heavy enough to challenge your muscles but still safe enough for your body to manage. However for this workout, I suggest talking to an expert since I know you had surgeries.

As for foods, eat lots of protein, healthy fats & fibrous carbs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You name the diet i've done it, always get to goal weight but just cant maintain and once again i need to lose 2 stone! im 45, kids at Uni and just me, hubby and the dog at home. I feel its my time now but how do i break this circle? i have had opps on both knees so cant go running but i do walk the dog 3 times a day and have upped my pace and lenght of time (dog could also do with losing some lbs LOL!) anyone have any ideas how else i can burn the cals but more importantly staying focus once i have reached my goal weight

Diet is for fat loss. Done wrong weight loss. There is a difference.
    Exercise is for body shaping and heart health. it can hinder or help fat loss actually.

So your walking is perfect. If calm enough, it is mainly fat burning, therefore really just more daily activity. That is where your deficit for fat loss comes from.

Your biggest improvement will probably be to change your activity level on MFP to Lightly Active, and don't count the walking as exercise.

This should also keep a more realistic goal for you, thereby improving the odds you will NOT burn off desired Lean Body Mass that most too-restrictive diets will cause.

And get some resistance bands that should be allowed after the surgery. Certainly can sit with weights and do upper body.
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula, I too consider myself a yo-yoer. I began my weight loss journey in 2007 at 220 pounds, and lost 75 pounds in 14 months. However, I have been bouncing up and down within 10 pounds of this loss for well over 3 years now. On a good note, I've maintained the 65 pound loss for 4 years now, so I like to consider that a success!

I'm here on MFP now to drop the 10 pounds, plus some additional, to hit an all time personal best... I wish I could offer advice on staying focused once you reach your goal weight, but I can only offer some ideas that have helped me along my journey.

Exercise.

I think walking is fantastic! I recently bought a Fitbit and I have increased my walking, stairs, general activity, exponentially! A friend of mine, who is a Marathon Maniac, and a member of the 50 States Marathon Club, turned me on to it. Although I like running marathons as well, I'm not always training... I tend to go in sputs, and just revving up general activity makes a huge impact in daily calorie burn. I usually have a daily 300 calorie adjustment from my Fitbit (I have it synced to my account here) just from my normal daily activities. Though, the Fitbit encourages me to be more active, hence, more calorie burn.

Other exercise ideas (of course, you need to do activities YOU enjoy!)
    swimming, yoga, hot yoga, workout dvds at home, you tube exercise videos, Insanity (dvds), gym membership and classes, nordic walking group, tennis club, dance classes (pole dancing?), tai chi, tae kwan do, crossfit (I haven't seen it here, only in the States), Forest Fit, weight lifting, circuit training, HIIT training, etc., etc....

But I can tell you, from my personal observations, you can workout all you want, and burn massive amounts of calories, but it won't make much of a difference if your diet isn't in order.

Diet, nutrition.
    This is really how I've been able to maintain the 65 pound weight loss for the past 4 years. I completely overhauled my eating. Granted, I was living in the States at the time, but it still holds true here:
    - no more fried fast foods. I stopped getting dinner at the drive-thru and started cooking at home.
    - increase green vegetables. Kale and spinach, romaine lettuce, etc. (Spinach smoothies)
    - discover the spice combinations that make your favorite vegetables taste incredible!
    - moderation with the treats, mine are wine and chocolate.

This is a process, and I'm still a process in the making, so I'm still traveling this journey as well. I'd love to know what others are doing to break free of yoyo dieting.

Best of luck to all!! Happy MFPing!! ;)
  • soontobeslim01
    soontobeslim01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice :flowerforyou: