eating back your exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories.. I normally burn around 800 everyday, and I eat around 1200-1300.
    I feel great that way, dont feel dizzy at all and im losing weight.. so i guess thats the way it works for me
  • jeskate
    jeskate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200, but burn 600, you've only effectively eaten 600 calories. That is not enough. It is important to watch your net calories.

MFP is not like a traditional diet. In a traditional diet, your cals are set, and you exercise. But, in the set cals, it is assumed that you will exercise.

MFP does not do that. MFP says, if you want to lose weight, eat x calories. Because there is already a calorie deficit built in...-250 cals for 1/2 lb per wk, -500 cals for 1 lb per week, etc. so, there is a deficit, in case you don't exercise. So, when you do exercise, you are supposed to eat those calories back.

Not eating your calories on this plan is basically harming you more than it is helping.

That was well explained :)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    MFP already includes your weight goal deficit. If you are looking to lose 1 pound per week, MFP already has a 500 cal/day deficit built in.

If you have large calorie expenditures routinely (I do), then you must eat back your expenditure. Otherwise you have some very bad effects (muscle consumption). As someone above said...this is not a race because you should be thinking about this as something you'll be responsible for managing for the rest of your life.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd find another doctor!

Really though, it depends how you have calculated your exercise calories, I think this is where most people get confused.

Most OTHER calorie calculators (ie. not MFP) ask about how much exercise you are going to do each week and then work out your calories goal including this information. This means that it includes the calories you need just to stay alive, plus an extra amount for working out.

MFP works out your calories without including exercise and assumes that you will add them in as you do them (so you don't get credit for the exercise until you have actually done it!). This means that your calorie allowance includes the calories you need just to stay alive, plus an extra amount for working out. It's just a different method to get to the same end point.

So, if you are using MFP to calculate your daily calorie allowance, then you should be adding in and eating your exercise calories.
    If you are getting your daily calories allowance figures from somewhere else, then you should check with them, most likely you won't add in exercise calories.

It's realy pretty simple!
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    i eat most of mine back. I really do find that I feel overall better when I eat most of them back vs not.

I concur with the sentiment that you need to enjoy the entire journey to your goal weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is already built in so your exercise calories are exactly that calories that should be eaten to sustain (fuel) your workouts. I am a firm believer in eating them back and have lost alittle weight in the process. I would recommend getting a good heart rate monitor ( I have a Polar FT60) to better track your calories burned. I then only consume 85-90% of them leaving 10-15% for error in logging or estimated calories burned.... Best of Luck to you.......
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories.. in my mind that sort of defeats the purpose.. if 3500 calories is 1 lb, I want to get rid of them, not eat them back. I eat my 1300ish calories a day and that's it. If I go over I don't stress it because I know I burned 500-600 at the gym.

It's a great question tho, because I read about people eating them back and I always wondered how it worked. Do you still lose 2 lbs each week?

Heather
    sw 225
    cw 185

Yes - I have been losing 2+lbs per week, and I try to eat back a good amount of my exercise calories (although on days where I'm burning 2,000 calories+, it's a little hard but I try). The whole point is to give your body the sustenance it needs, as well as to prepare yourself for maintenance after you reach your weight loss goal.
  • erv78
    erv78 Posts: 7
    Options
    Always eat some back, that's fuel for the next day!
  • soozm
    soozm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat them if I feel I need to. If I don't feel weak/lethargic/actually hungry, I don't.

Also, try not to go up to the total you've exercised off. Maybe 50-75% only, which gives a margin for error in the calories eaten and burnt.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    Funny I've only been on this site for about a week and I hear this question soooo frequently. I believe the answer is to eat the calories back IF YOURE HUNGRY...don't force it. Very high deficits don't necessarily yield faster results. The body needs fuel and if you starve yourself especially after working out intensely, the body doesn't just only grab fat and burn it up...tends to eat muscle, hold fat stores...you feel like dirt....you get me? Hope this helps! Cheers!
  • kiwichick80
    kiwichick80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I've wondered the same thing originally, but with some trail and error find that eating at least some of my exercise calories works best. I have found that while i may feel okay and not really need the calories that day, without them i will feel weak and exhausted and STARVING the next day (which stops me from exercising that day, starting a bad cycle). Just make sure you eat good food for a working body with those calories.
    PS. have also heard about the milk thing from a nutritionist. Not chocolate milk though, which is through the roof with sugars that you just don't need. But dairy, such as a smoothie, within half an hour of an INTENSE workout is supposed to help with muscle fatigue and post work out nutrition. Don't know if it's true, but to be honest, i don't get enough calcium, so it can't do much harm.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I've wondered the same thing originally, but with some trail and error find that eating at least some of my exercise calories works best. I have found that while i may feel okay and not really need the calories that day, without them i will feel weak and exhausted and STARVING the next day (which stops me from exercising that day, starting a bad cycle). Just make sure you eat good food for a working body with those calories.
    PS. have also heard about the milk thing from a nutritionist. Not chocolate milk though, which is through the roof with sugars that you just don't need. But dairy, such as a smoothie, within half an hour of an INTENSE workout is supposed to help with muscle fatigue and post work out nutrition. Don't know if it's true, but to be honest, i don't get enough calcium, so it can't do much harm.

For endurance, or intense efforts, it is actually chocolate milk.

Exactly for the sugars. You've just burned off a bunch of glucose stores with either type of workout.

The chocolate milk not only has the sugars to replenish, but also the fat to slow that down in hitting the bloodstream, and protein for some immediate muscle repair.

Strawberry or other flavors would meet those needs too. Perhaps not spinach flavored. Ugh.
  • kiwichick80
    kiwichick80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Exactly for the sugars. You've just burned off a bunch of glucose stores with either type of workout.

The chocolate milk not only has the sugars to replenish, but also the fat to slow that down in hitting the bloodstream, and protein for some immediate muscle repair.

Strawberry or other flavors would meet those needs too. Perhaps not spinach flavored. Ugh.

Oh, cool. Thanks for that. I had just been told milk in general, and to avoid the sugary ones. Makes sense though. Cheers.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How can we have enough energy to do intense workouts if we do take in energy?

Well in my case there's 7 pounds of surplus fat on board which is worth 28,600 calories so I would be looking to do intense workouts by using some of that.

If you have very low body fat this obviously can't work, but if you're looking to lose fat then the calorie deficit comes from your fat reserves. If you exercise you make a bigger deficit.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.:smile:
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There are three reasons I exercise:

1. To keep me aware of how hard my lungs work so I won't be tempted to go back to smoking.
    2. To get me stronger and fitter so I can do stuff like climb mountains.
    3. So I can eat more food.

Life would be so dreary if I actually had to eat tiny portions or skip rich goodies just because eating more than X calories will make me gain. So, I exercise a lot. That way, I can eat meals that actually fill my plate or contain yummy stuff like cheese or whatever.
  • virtuess1
    virtuess1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is my daily goal NOT to eat back my exercise calories and most days I don't, however, yesterday I had a bad day and I am so happy that I had exercise calories to eat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I really loathe chocolate, and don't like flavored milk in general, but regular old 2% milk for a nightly snack seems to be helping w/endurance for the next day.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I hear you that mfp already creates a deficit.. but mfp is telling me to eat 1200 net calories... i did that...lost some in the beginning and then hit a wall after just about 3 weeks. Now, I'm working with a trainer and have been for about 3 months. His goal consumption for me is 1350 calories daily (not net just straight).. 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat. I work out 5 days a week and burn between 400-600 depending on the day. mfp has been a great tool for me to keep track of calories eaten and nutrient info.. but I don't count on its abilities to figure out what is exactly gonna work for me diet wise. I've changed all the settings it had for me originally..completely. So far, I've lost 40 lbs and 17% body fat since Dec 1.

imo.. u figure out what works for you. I'm not hungry, I have energy for workouts and to maintain my full time work/full time student life, and I feel very successful with my weight loss so far.

It just takes a few weeks to really figure your body out.... it's your body.. you are going to b the true expert on what it's doing.
  • willismack2
    Options
    I eat all the exercise calories back, drink 8-16 oz of Chocolate milk after a run, life is good!