Protein shakes/drinks

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As a body builder, you have special needs. For the average human being, it doesn't matter. And even then, there are plenty of bodybuilders that utilize intermittent fasting, like Martin Berkham and Brad Pilon. Take a look over at leangains.com if you're interested.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    As a body builder, you have special needs. For the average human being, it doesn't matter. And even then, there are plenty of bodybuilders that utilize intermittent fasting, like Martin Berkham and Brad Pilon. Take a look over at leangains.com if you're interested.

T.Y. for the link but honestly I will take the constant eating protein saturation as this has a better impact for me therefore I need breakfast.
    Tigersworld a lot of us are derailing OP thread badly here and I feel badly so I am not going to continue. Also sorry OP for derailing your thread and let me help you get back on point. :smile:
    Does anyone have any shake or powder that they currently use that doesn't have a horrible aftertaste?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice

Muscletech has a good flavor and is cheap at sams club. This is what I drink mostly. But the best ever protein powder I that I have ever tasted that tastes exactly like what it says was
    "gnc properformance". All the flavors are sooo good. Just expensive is all. I live on protein so I have tried most all of them and my favorites where these...

Chocolate caramel was soooo good and tasted just like it says.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=GNC+Pro+Performance®+100%+Whey+Protein+-+caramel&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_enUS402&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=578&wrapid=tlif133477325968210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4702486864839113309&sa=X&ei=DgaPT8_pK9HKiQKnjfGcAw&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAQ#

Banana cream is super bomb too.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2944053
  • krherzberg
    Options
    I buy the "Pure Protien" brand and i get chocolate shake flavor. There is about 26 grams of protien in one scoop. I put a scoop of protien power, a large tablespoon of peanut butter, 1/2 cup of fat free milk, half a banana, table spoon of flax seed and ice in a blender and drink that. It tastes amazing and is around 350 calories. I have that for breakfast almost every day and it keeps me full right until lunch...also there is just over 30 grams of protien.!
  • MisFitMom219
    MisFitMom219 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    so I realize people have posted to this & I'm sure it's been said --- but OMG I can't even imagine a protein powder not tasting awesome!! I look forward to mine daily (I drink betweeen 4-5 a day between whey/whey isolates/casein -- vegetarian:)

OPTIMUM NUTRITION - LOVE them. Mint chocolate is my FAVE! They have a lot of diff flavors. mocha cappucino & banana are also tasty....the chocolate cake batter casein is literally like a milkshake!

Syntha-6 - little high on the carbs for my liking but the vanilla ice cream is really good!

Whey metabolic extreme chocolate is really tasty, the vanilla is also great for cooking!!

I like making smoothies with them as well* Or using the protein powder in oatmeal or in milk on cereal.

ps. you dont have to drink protein shakes -- you can get protein pudding packs that are close to 30g low cal/low carb --- or find some low cal/carb protein bars --- love ohyeah almond bars! great for an on the run snack (:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    so I realize people have posted to this & I'm sure it's been said --- but OMG I can't even imagine a protein powder not tasting awesome!! I look forward to mine daily (I drink betweeen 4-5 a day between whey/whey isolates/casein -- vegetarian:)

OPTIMUM NUTRITION - LOVE them. Mint chocolate is my FAVE! They have a lot of diff flavors. mocha cappucino & banana are also tasty....the chocolate cake batter casein is literally like a milkshake!

Syntha-6 - little high on the carbs for my liking but the vanilla ice cream is really good!

Whey metabolic extreme chocolate is really tasty, the vanilla is also great for cooking!!

I like making smoothies with them as well* Or using the protein powder in oatmeal or in milk on cereal.

ps. you dont have to drink protein shakes -- you can get protein pudding packs that are close to 30g low cal/low carb --- or find some low cal/carb protein bars --- love ohyeah almond bars! great for an on the run snack (:

Yumm pudding LOL ..
    Just want to say watch out for those protein bars a lot of them contain a high amount of sugar so read the ingredients carefully.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

T.Y. for the link but honestly I will take the constant eating protein saturation as this has a better impact for me therefore I need breakfast.

Do you know Layne Norton is? He believes the constant saturation has negative impact on protein synthesis and, as a result, has extended time between his meals 4-5 hours a part with free-form amino acids in between meals.

And if you're not exercising in the morning then breaking your fast in the morning means **** all.
  • verodup
    verodup Posts: 1
    Options
    Gaspari Nutrition Intrapro double chocolate tastes the best. Trust me I've tried them all! Add mixed frozen berries and blend with handblender. Wonderful!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with having a hard time eating breakfast....my solution...I make a large pot of coffee at the start of the week, put it in the fridge, every morning I put it over ice with a scoop of Dymatize whey isolate Vanilla...I get my 25g of protein, my coffee without creamer and it tastes great!
  • Freida_MS
    Freida_MS Posts: 100
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels vanilla protein shake with unsweetened almond milk (35 cal in a cup) and add frozen strawberries or blueberries.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I make a shake with Aria Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 cup lowfat or nonfat vanilla yogurt, banana, whatever fresh and/frozen fruit I have on hand, and 2 tablespoons whole ground flaxseed meal. Greek yogurt usually has more protein, so you could use it.
  • Loubean3
    Loubean3 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you like chocolate (and who doesn't ;) AdvoCare has a really good shake mix with
    •24 grams of protein
    •5-6 grams of fiber
    •26 vitamins and minerals and only 220 calories
    •Contains 50% of the daily value of calcium

They have berry and vanilla too.

$39.95 plus shipping for 14 pouches. I really like them and easy for on the go.

If you want to try, You can order here: www.advocare.com/09092168
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input and advice.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Muscle & Fitness magazine is just a vehicle to sell supplements. Any "science" therein will be only the science that agrees with and speaks toward the supplements being advertised.

right...so by following advice and training and nutritional information from those got me to get my deadlift to 515, bench 315 and to run the 1 mile in 5:11, 2 mile in 12:33, and 10 mile in 62 minutes flat, not to mention getting 17" arms, and a sixpack...but ok sure I guess Jim is an idiot and muscle and fitness is just bull****, arnold schwarzeneggars encyclopedia of modern bodybuidling is bull****, the books I have on sports nutrient timing written by world class trainers are all bull****, and the ENTIRE Special Operations community just doesnt know what its talking about when it comes to health and fitness, ultimately im sorry to say but I dismiss you as being ill-informed at best
  • Rugbygurl
    Rugbygurl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition whey protein in vanilla ice cream flavour add a banana, some honey and cinnamon mixed with water (or milk if you want) in the blender and yummmmo! I used to hate protein shakes but now I love them
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Appeal to authority is irrelevant.

Meal frequency and timing is irrelevant, total caloric consumption its what matters.

so let me get this straight...in your eyes it would be just as efficient for me to wake up and pound down 4000 calories in one meal then just not eat anything the rest of the day, maybe skip food all together a few days and I would still be fine...thats insane, no good trainer would say such things
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My wife uses Bodyfortress Whey Isolate. It is vanilla flavor and she adds it to her coffees and thinks it tastes great.
  • fajitatx
    fajitatx Posts: 36
    Options
    isopure dutch chocolate - low carb, no real aftertaste, and if you chill it for about 20 mins before drinking it will be surprisingly great.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump for tmrw! Need a good protein shake as well.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Options
    go look at the ABS DIET shakes...They incorporate a lot of high protein shakes that taste delicious! Regular protein with milk can get old! :)
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    I am in the uk and use USN diet fuel. I have the chocolate one and the strawberry one - I like both of them and have one for breakfast most days :)