how do you cope

Options
How do you cope when you have done everything right, weigh all your food, log it all, including drinks, exercise everyday ... You step on the scales and there is no change!

I dont think i'm doing anything wrong, but i'm going to look back over it again to make sure, but right now all i want to do is give up. But thats not an option because i care! But how do you find the will to carry on and not just stuff what you want into your mouth, when trying hard and doing it right gives a bad result?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    open your food diary for viewing and I can take a look and see if there are places that your going wrong, also describe your fitness routine that could also be why
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    staying the same is a good result :) i don't know how long you've been at it for, but got to give it a month or so. if still no change, need to either up the exercise or decrease intake, providing you remain at a calorie level that can provide sufficient nutrients.
  • tashajayne2011
    Options
    you need to pick up a measuring tape and measure yourself maybe once every month - you will see more if you watch your inches as well as the lbs x
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I thought it was open, will check that out.
    I do exercise everyday, i do classes at the gym and always get out of breath.
    Measuring tape, yeah, i guess that would show what the scales cant. How do you measure body fat without a fancy scale?
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Its hard. I'm not gonna lie. I used to not cope well at all.

I am a slow loser. In the past when I've lost weight (not really a yo-yo dieter in the traditional sense - I lost weight before getting pregnant - then had 4 kids close together), I usually average just over a half-pound per week. I met a WW leader who lost like 80lbs a half-pound at a time. She's kept it off for 12 years.

I think the hardest thing for me is not comparing myself to others. It pisses me off that 1 person can lower their calories a little, half *kitten* their calorie counting, take a few strolls around the neighborhood and drop lbs left and right. Me... I have to work my tail off!!! I have to measure and track my food carefully. I have some medical disadvantages too (very hypothyroid, mildly PCOS, and a bad hip) which kind of suck but it is what it is. I have to consciously stop myself from the "why me?" self talk.

Actually the reason I am overweight now was a few years ago, when I injured my hip, I was so pissed that I just gave up. I let myself go. I purposely punished myself with food binges. It was a pretty dark time. The only time in my life I've ever been depressed.

I decided I CAN GET BITTER OR I CAN GET BETTER.

I think I'm finally at the point that I know what I'm doing is healthy for me. . I know that even if I only lose a pound a month, I will still eventually get to my goal. I will still be improving my health and fitness. I will still feel better physically and emotionally.

And yes as others say, I also measure my progress with tape measure, pictures, and body fat calipers. Those change slowly for me too. *sigh*
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with a PP.
    Look at your food diary and see if there are any healthier changes you could make.
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
    If you have started a new form of exercise expect your weight to either bump up or stall for a while. (I went up 4-6 lbs when I started 30 day shred, I'm making my way back down now.)
    Make sure you're eating at least above your BMR.
    I'm eating 1600 cals a day, going to go up to 1800 next week which is 15% off of my TDEE.

Last of all, don't be discouraged. Just resolve to keep trying because you WILL get there in the end. It's taking me slightly longer than I thought to get to goal, but slow and steady wins the race.
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tara4boys, that is the best thing anyone could say. You have it more against you to lose weight than i do, so i need to start counting my blessings.

As it was, i had a miserable mood for the rest of the week which culminated in a massive blowout weekend to "cheer myself up" - and so i have put on everything i lost previously and am back to square one. One step forward, one step back and a complete waste if a week of calorie counting! Lesson learnt i hope