carbs driving me crazy

happydayzz
happydayzz Posts: 64 Member
edited October 3 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone! I am so confused....and have two questions!
1. I don't get much exercise in; I'm in uni, and other than walking all around campus for my classes, I don't have the time nor energy to exercise after the long day XP But since I'm only 18 years old, is it okay for me to eat about 160-200 carbs a day? Or should I try to keep it around 150-165 carbs per day? I'm sorry if this has already been answered deep within the forums, but I just want a straight, simple answer that explains why :D
2. Is it true that eating carbs before you go to bed (like less than an hour before you go to sleep) cause you to gain weight because they don't 'break down' while you sleep? :O

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Unfortunately, none of us can tell you what will work best for YOUR body. You'll have to just give it a try and see what works best for you.

I can eat as many carbs as I want in a day - from morning til night and I don't have any issues. However, some people can look at a piece of bread and gain weight. It all depends on how your body responds to them.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    1. I don't get much exercise in; I'm in uni, and other than walking all around campus for my classes, I don't have the time nor energy to exercise after the long day XP But since I'm only 18 years old, is it okay for me to eat about 160-200 carbs a day? Or should I try to keep it around 150-165 carbs per day? I'm sorry if this has already been answered deep within the forums, but I just want a straight, simple answer that explains why :D
    2. Is it true that eating carbs before you go to bed (like less than an hour before you go to sleep) cause you to gain weight because they don't 'break down' while you sleep? :O

1) As mentioned, everyone reacts differently. I don't even look at my carbs. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

2) No, it is not true. Eating your calorie allowance AND THEN eating more calories at night will create a calorie excess, causing weight gain. Eating late at night and staying within your allowance will not cause you to gain weight.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

1) As mentioned, everyone reacts differently. I don't even look at my carbs. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

2) No, it is not true. Eating your calorie allowance AND THEN eating more calories at night will create a calorie excess, causing weight gain. Eating late at night and staying within your allowance will not cause you to gain weight.

This.

I usually eat a small cup of ice cream before bed every night. 22lbs down sofar. Just maintain a caloric defecit and you will lose weight.
  • you should ideally be eating less than 150g of carbs a day. any more will result in constantly elevated insulin levels which actually drives fat storage...so it is working against you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    you should ideally be eating less than 150g of carbs a day. any more will result in constantly elevated insulin levels which actually drives fat storage...so it is working against you.

fyi: protein is also highly insulingenic

so now that we got that out of the way, maintain a caloric deficit and regardless of cho intake you will lose weight
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    you should ideally be eating less than 150g of carbs a day. any more will result in constantly elevated insulin levels which actually drives fat storage...so it is working against you.

Not if you are still eating in a calorie deficit. You'll gain water weight, but not fat.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member

sorry.... plenty of us lost weight well above 150. 150 i'd say is pretty low.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    For some people (like me), it's just easier to stay under our calories and be satisfied if we eat a lower amount of carbs. That's simply because fats and protein are generally more satiating. But the main thing to realize is that you will lose weight if you keep your calorie deficit. And be patient. It takes a long time to figure out what works best for YOU. :)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member

What is worse, having a single meal in a day with 150g of carbs, or 5 smaller meals spaced out throughout the day with 30g of carbs/meal?
  • rameshl
    rameshl Posts: 1

What is worse, having a single meal in a day with 150g of carbs, or 5 smaller meals spaced out throughout the day with 30g of carbs/meal?

Definitely the single meal with 150g carbs is much worse. It causes insulin shoot up to compensate for that amount of sugar. Spread it out..
This discussion has been closed.