What's the diff between a Polar FT7 and the Polar FT4?

Options
I'm looking for a HRM and noticed that everyone likes these two. Which do I get?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Sorry. I dunno. I have the FT7, I assume it has more features, but I couldn't tell you what they are.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I was trying to figure this out too. I went to the Polar site and the only thing I could figure out is that the FT7 says "fitness" and "Fat burn" but there has got to be more to it than that.

I am wanting to buy one or the other.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    price. i got the ft7 but i could have just as easily got the ft4 since there's a bunch of stuff i dont use on the 7. i only use it for the fit test, HRM, tracking calories. ft4 does all of that and is also a bit cheaper
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7. A difference is that the FT7 stores information from 99 workouts while the FT4 holds 10. Other than that, I don't think there's much of a difference between the two.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I have an ft4 and I love it. It does everything I need it to!
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this post!!!! I too am looking into purchasing one and was hoping to have a few suggestions as to what to buy.
    Thanks for the post =)
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    what about batteries?
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    what about batteries?

I have had mine since Christmas and use it daily. No problems yet. The paperwork said it should last a year and it can be replaced.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/compare?product1=23349

That should pre-populate FT4 and you can choose FT7 in the next column. Click the + buttons down the left side to expand each category. Not the best website design in the world.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    price. i got the ft7 but i could have just as easily got the ft4 since there's a bunch of stuff i dont use on the 7. i only use it for the fit test, HRM, tracking calories. ft4 does all of that and is also a bit cheaper

The FT7 does not have a fit test... The older F7 does, but the new FT7 does not. Only the FT40 and up have a fit test.

To OP:
    Polar FT4:
    Holds 10 workouts
    Tells you where your heart rate should be between
    Comes in 3 colors

Polar FT7:
    Holds 99 workouts
    Tells you if you are in the "fat burning" vs "fitness" zone
    Allows you to uploiad workouts to the Polar website via the optional flow link sensor
    Comes in 4 colors.
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I was researching which one to buy, I read that when the batteries die, you have to send the ft4 back to Polar to be change but you can change the batteries in the ft7 yourself. I got the ft7 and love it!
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i have had both models and the only difference is the amount of memory it holds for workouts....the ft7 holds 100, the ft4 only 10. as far as functions- time, hr, cals burned, zone- they are the same. i just replaced my ft7 w my second ft4...you can save yourself the extra $$$. you can replace the batteries and buy the extra chest strap! i use my hrm 3-4 times a week and they have lasted me about 16-18 months each.
    www.bodytronics.com the ft4 is about $60 :0)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I was researching which one to buy, I read that when the batteries die, you have to send the ft4 back to Polar to be change but you can change the batteries in the ft7 yourself. I got the ft7 and love it!

This is wrong.. Both the FT4 and the FT7 allows you to change batteries yourself.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/compare?product1=23349

That should pre-populate FT4 and you can choose FT7 in the next column. Click the + buttons down the left side to expand each category. Not the best website design in the world.
    GRAZIE MILLIE.. THIS WAS JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO FULFIL L MY NEED FOR INSTANT GRATIFICATION. FT4 IT IS. THANK YOU
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    sooooo...which one did you get? :)
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I did some research on this too and decided to get the FT4 (just ordered it last night) - I just checked my order status and I should get it by Saturday - I bought it online and paid $59 - can't to get it and try it out!!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i got the ft4 on saturday.. used it twice.. and love it and wish I'd been this motivated before, but everything in its own time. I wore it this morning while on my exercise bike... and gladly, my ebike recorded within 11 calories of what the hrm told me.. i really like it and it seems simple... OH I picked this one because I figured I didn't need all the download or upload capabilities. I probably won't even ue the history available, since I plan on recording immediately...cals burned and hr and time..
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i actually just bought a FT7 on ebay for real cheap. i was leaning towards the FT4 cuz price, but i guess ebay made that choice real easy for me. ftw!
  • Filah
    Filah Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all

Is the sex really matters for polar ft7? Because I am really into the black with red stripe but it says it is for men.. So I am not sure is it ok if I get it. Will there be any size difference or anything? Help me!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    On the FT4, there's a sensor that checks to make sure that a person of the correct gender is wearing the correct version of the watch, otherwise it turns off after a few seconds. Don't know about the FT7, though.:laugh: