HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE STUDENTS....

Options
What do you bring for lunch? I have 30 minutes to eat but I feel silly bringing a full course lunch. Also, it is at 10:30 AM, what kind of snack food would hold me over that I can bring? (No ice pack so no yogurts and what not)
I'm thinking Nature Valley granola bars, would you say that's a bad or good idea...?

Replies

• petemeep
    petemeep Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always used to take bananas, apples, oranges, all can just be thrown in a bag easily. Granola bars, or protein bars just look at the nutrition content some are no better than candy bars. I would also bring dry cereal (ex. shredded wheat, Quaker oatmeal squares, etc.)
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thankyou:) I'll probably be bringing dry cereal and fruit. Something to curb my hunger for a true meal for a little longer.
  • raqueljoliemassoud
    Options
    for lunch definitly go for a salad with protein on it (jsut watch out for calories in dressing) and for a snack maybe a fiber bar? fiber one make AMAZING ones. oats & chocolate is personally my favorite flavor haha. you could also eat trail mix :)
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Cut up veggies and fruit, cheese string, rice crisps, serving of chickpeas...
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, so I eat by the bell almost everyday. I like to take a small container of sliced strawberries & peeled cuties (tangerines) and homemade trail mix with me to work. Luna bars are also delicious (and vitamin-packed) for a meal on the go. I recommend the smores, chocolate-dipped coconut, and white chocolate macadamia nut flavors.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Crackers or Cheese Crackers is what I took. You can also freeze a smoothie the night before. By 1030 it would still be cold but soft enough to drink. I do this every day. It comes out of the freezer at 0700. It needs a sock coozie if staying in a bag because of condensation.
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome ideas guys :smile:
    I'll definitely be taking these things to school with me!! Easy, healthy, and delish.
  • rescueisnotamyth
    rescueisnotamyth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We have microwaves in our lunchroom, so my lunches are usually 1/2 cup of rice, some sort of vegetable over it, along with some sort of meat. (lunch is at 12:20)
    My snacks (around 10 am) have included: bran flakes with cocoa powder and a banana (mix it up, it is so good!), south beach diet cereal, honey bunches of oats (sooo high in sugar but im out of bran flakes to cut it with), cucumber, yogurt and bran flakes, baby carrots, and bell peppers.
    I'm looking to try some more things, but I'm kind of limited. I can't go warm up anything, so oatmeal is out (though that would be my ideal snack!). I'm going to make some sort of fruit salad sometime, maybe mix it with some Greek yogurt (if I ever make it out to buying any... :P)
    Tomorrow I am taking cucumbers and probably some wheat thins. I need to introduce more carbs during my snacks and not just fiber.
    Also, for lunches, salads are super great! You can put every food group in there! And I'm pretty sure any meat is great on salad. (I just thought 'hmm... Fish salad...') I try and be super careful about dressings. They can be heavy and fatty. Instead, introduce lots of flavors and textures into the salad with more vegetables. Mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, asparagus, corn. I could go for a big salad right now... (:
    Anyway, good luck!
  • kevglu
    kevglu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Zone Perfect bars when I'm in a pinch. I buy them in bulk at Costco and have them on hand for times I'm rushing... they taste fairly good, 200 calories I think.