Tips for adding more vegtables to the diet?

Options
I need to add more veggies to my diet, in as convenient a way as possible and sometimes I just tire of the salad thing. A friend just suggested I add fresh spinach to vegtable soup - it cooks while you're heating the soup & adds all that extra nutrition. I liked that idea and need some more if anyone has them? Thanks!

Replies

• shelbysmom08
    Options
    i make green smoothies i add 2 cups of spinich to it and all you taste is fruit you can add anything you want
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to have veggies as my side dish at every meal no matterr what. I find that helps me to get my full amount in :-)
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Add spinach to salads. If you have curry add spinach, broccoli, sweet potato etc. sweet potato curry is one of my favourites! Roasted vegetables as a side with dinner. Fresh soups. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I need to add more veggies to my diet, in as convenient a way as possible and sometimes I just tire of the salad thing. A friend just suggested I add fresh spinach to vegtable soup - it cooks while you're heating the soup & adds all that extra nutrition. I liked that idea and need some more if anyone has them? Thanks!

Plan some extra time in the kitchen to prep your vegetables and have them ready when you need them. Buying them whole and prepping them on your own will save alot of money than purchasing prepackaged prepped vegetables...
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    add shredded veggies to meatloaf. like carrots, celery, onion, etc.
  • violetfrosts
    Options
    I love making stir fries, that way you can go crazy on vegetables. I usually add broccoli, onion, carrot, baby corn, spinach, just whatever I fancy. They're really filling.
    Also, you could try having an egg white omelette for breakfast and add tomatoes, spinach or mushrooms.
    Cut up veggies like pepper & cucumber with hummus make a great snack too :)
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I personally add veggies to my egg whites in the morning... Spinach and tomato make it taste soo much better! :-)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Add a cup or more of raw kale or baby spinach to a fruit/yogurt smoothie in the morning! You won't even know its in there!
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Stir-frying veggies with meat is an easy way to get more veggies. You can use any protein that you like with your favorite vegetables. I made one last night with beef, broccoli and carrots. To cut down on prep time, you can use those steam bags or frozen vegetables. I find most of my recipes on myrecipes.com. I like that site because they have recipes from Cooking Light and other magazines and they include the nutritional information.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I worry sometimes that people think I have no veg in my diet, but my meals tend to be packed with them! Spaghetti bolognese has onions, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes. Chilli con carne has three types of peppers. Stews have potatoes, carrots, swede, onions. Roast dinners always comes with carrots, cabbage, parsnips etc. It's just a habit you get into.

Why not make your own vegetable soups? Cook what ever you like in stock and use a hand blender. It's a great way to use them up at the end of the week when they're looking bit tired!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Everyone had good ideas. Another idea is to make one meal a day vegetarian. That way you are switching up your protein source to a legum or the like and consuming way more veggies. Or make meat the side dish rather than the main attraction....pick a veggie you want to try and google entrees with that veggie
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to have veggies as my side dish at every meal no matterr what. I find that helps me to get my full amount in :-)

This, there is not a day where I don't have veggies as sides. Plus I munch on raw veggies as snacks. Carrots, cucumbers, celery ect. Create snack bags to take with you containing mixed raw veggies.
  • harribo_mum
    Options
    I love making stir fries, that way you can go crazy on vegetables. I usually add broccoli, onion, carrot, baby corn, spinach, just whatever I fancy. They're really filling.
    Also, you could try having an egg white omelette for breakfast and add tomatoes, spinach or mushrooms.
    Cut up veggies like pepper & cucumber with hummus make a great snack too :)
    ^^^^ this is exactly what I was going to say
  • maparis
    maparis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try grilling some every now and then.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I love raw veggies in my salads. I add all sorts and change it up each week. I even add ones that I have to cook first, like beets.
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Shred zucchini and peppers into tomato sauce. Eat grilled portobellas instead of burgers. Always have broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus ready to be steamed. I made grilled romaine lettuce the other day and it was really good. If you get bored with just plain veggies throw them in a bag with marinade to spice things up. Hope this helps!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great tips, everyone...thanks! I needed some inspiration... :-)
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Everyone's made awesome suggestions! My last thought to include (it's implied with everyone's responses, but I don't think anyone came right out and said it yet) is to be deliberate about variety. Broccoli every day of the week is boring. As we get into the summer, there are so many beautiful ripe veggies around. Try as many as you can, even if you've never heard of them before. I just tried bok choy sauteed in a sauce that's half soy sauce, half BBQ, with a spash of OJ for good measure, and it was delicious!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump
  • blackeyegirl
    Options
    When I am not in the mood for salad, I pull out a fry pan, use a little olive oil, a whole sliced onion, then plenty of mushrooms, then a pepper or garlic, broccoli or green beans, and the list continues until I like what I see. I don't usually have it with a starch but red potatoes or rice can be good with this. Sometimes I might add some canned tomatoes and sliced sun ripened tomatoes. Tastes great with grated pecorino cheese and fresh basil. This is plenty of veggies and very little calories! Hope it works for you.