Lap Swimming

Options
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make lap swimming less boring? After about 10 minutes I start watching the clock and just can't wait for the workout to be over so that I can stop staring at that black line on the bottom of the pool and the boredom will subside.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    put alligators in the water
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I sing in my head, or do sets instead of up the pool and down the pool. They do sell underwater headphones just for this purpose though.
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

^^ this would work a treat!
  • leahmolidor
    Options
    Don't wear a watch. When I don't wear one I am able to go for much longer because I am able to lose myself. My lap pool is outside so I love to swim backstroke and look up at the clouds and daydream. Also, I often sing songs in my head or think about things that have been on my mind. It's almost like a meditation workout!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to make lap swimming less boring? After about 10 minutes I start watching the clock and just can't wait for the workout to be over so that I can stop staring at that black line on the bottom of the pool and the boredom will subside.

Get a waterproof cover for you iPod or MP3 or whatever you have and waterproof headphones, I guess.

I never get bored swimming, though, so I don't have any other suggestions.
  • mchernyavska
    Options
    It's probably just not your type of exercise - might want to try something else! I never find swimming boring. Well, probably because our community pool is always full, there's about 5 people on each "lane", and I usually choose the lane with men, because women are mostly slowing me down. So I have to struggle to keep up and not be an obstacle for other swimmers!

Sometimes, very rarely, I get a whole lane to myself... and then yes, it becomes a bit monotonous. :-)
    So another advise that follows from this experience - get competition! Have someone to race you. :-)
  • Luciatx
    Luciatx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I have a waterproof set up & listen to audio books while I do laps. I can get up to 2 miles without getting bored if the book is good. Really worth it! I've used it for about 10 years. You can get the stuff all on Amazon. Any MP3 player (I use a nano), a waterproof container (I use Aquapac), waterproof earphones (Pyle PWPE10W Marine Sport Waterproof In-Ear Earbud Stereo Headphones - these are way the best), and a lap counter (I use SportCount).
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Check your area for a Masters swim program. They have coaches that put you through various lap swimming workouts, and contrary to the name, you don't have to be a Master at swimming.

http://www.usms.org/
  • mkurland13112
    Options
    Swim intervals, rather than continuous laps.

There are plenty of websites with workouts, pick one and use the clock to pace and challenge yourself. The key is to figure out the pace that challenges you but you can achieve. Over time you can track your progress as you improve your stroke and condition.

You will get more out of the workout and will not be bored.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I never get bored lap swimming.

I continuously count laps in my head and try and push all other thoughts out (although I'm sure I get sidetracked sometimes and lose count <doh!>).

I only look at the clock every 50 lengths and that's how I map my progress. 27min is my average for 50 lengths of an 18m pool. I'm a pretty slow swimmer, but I can swim for hours. :happy:

Unfortunately, I get bored working out in the gym (which is why I never go :noway:) even though I know I ought to. :ohwell:
  • gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options

haahaahaa:bigsmile:

swimming is wonderful....it's like free exercise!!
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. When I started loosing weight I started by swimming. I liked that I didn't get all sweaty, but it is terribly boring unless you have something on your mind. I actually just recently switched to using a row machine. I feel like it's the same work out, but you can listen to music or watch tv and not have your hair smell like chlorine.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try swimming with fins on. It increases your burn and it's great fun. :smile:
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/QQ-Tech®-Silver-Waterproof-Swimming-Surfing/dp/B004D4N1PU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1334842102&amp;sr=8-1

^^^^^^^ THIS

I have it in black- works WONDERFULLY. I have a hard time swimming without it now :D
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others on the music....I didn't trust a cover for my ipod so bought a waterproof mp3 player. It's great and a lot more fun than counting laps.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are water proof ipods. Increase your distance a little but do it in a shorter amount of time so you have to keep count. Use the lane beads to keep track of distance rather than time.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    above suggestions about waterproofing your mp3...or buy a waterproof mp3, that works. For me I count laps and think about anything and everything (my mind goes a mile a minutes sometimes lol)....try challenging yourself...with speed or number of laps, it'll keep you thinking about something.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try doing sprints, where you really pick up your pace and alternate with the slow. Get yourself a good swimming manual and look up the drills and try them.

For a leisurely pace, you can pray--prayers of gratitude are great. Or meditate. Or repeat a mantra.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree that this might not be the best workout for you if your getting bored. I swim for my local Masters program 5-6 days a week. I swim after work and cant wait to get in the water!

I think what really helps is having someone to swim with (in your lane) so you can pace yourself to them (faster/ work harder) and having workouts ready and waiting for you. I love not having to think about whats next.

Our typical workout would be:
    2 x 300 Warmup
    8 x 200 Fast Kick
    10 x 25 Fast Free } x3
    1 x 300 Fast Free { x3
    4 x 25 Fast Free
    1 x 50 Cool Down

Just as an example. Our workouts change daily and are all timed. Some workouts are harder than others but its a great workout! I burn at least 700 calories every time I get in the pool.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I bought a waterproof MP3 player a few years back and love it. Try swimoutlet.com I picked mine up for $40.00 (about 4 years ago and it will still going strong.) I love swimming and try to go when I get the chance but Germany does not have the best weather for swimming plus it cost me around 5 bucks for an hour of swimming. I miss the YMCA!!