Seeking Kettlebell Dvd Suggestions

Options
Hi MFPs! What kettlebell dvd are working for you all? I want to do a kettlebell workout, but i'm not sure where to start. I've had some success with Jillian Michael's videos (30DS, 6Week 6Pack), however, the reviews for her kettlebell dvd seem really bad. It's okay to deviate from my love-hate relationship with JM, right? lol. Your input is appreciated:-)

Replies

• Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dvd's by Lauren Brooks that I really like. She is an RKC certified instructor and she also teaches proper form.
  • JenelNguyen
    Options
    Go to a live class. ;)
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A live class would certainly be the most ideal way to learn kettlebells. However, if you are like me, there aren't any close by. In my circumstance, the closest RKC certified instructor is 2 1/2 hours away...not an option.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Live instruction.

As great a tool as the kettlebell is, it is easy to injure yourself with one if you use poor form. Even if you don't have someone who is a certified trainer, it is still better to work with someone who has experience with this piece of equipment. I can't imagine watching a screen for an entire DVD can be good for form, better to figure out what exercise to do then do them putting your whole focus on your form and workout.

If you already DO have experience with one, then I'd say just look up kettlebell circuits on youtube. A user named Kitty8Tim tends to do a lot of kettlebell work along with other exercises. Most of these aren't like a DVD where you do it with the person, but just examples of good circuits.

This is one I learned at my gym... it's hell.

"Kettlebell Gone Bad" - as many reps as possible for each set (1 min per exercise and rest), repeat circuit 3 times. (18 min)
    - Front squat
    - Push press
    - Alternate Lunges
    - Swings
    - Sumo deadlift high pull
    - Rest
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you get the dvds, but Steve Cotter is really good. Not so much fun (he's pretty no frills) but he is really good and stressing form and will get you doing the exercises correctly.
  • chicatita
    chicatita Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Sounds like I need to start off in a live class to learn proper form/technique, then I should be able to do dvds. You guys rock! Thanks again:-)
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't personally own these DVD's, but Bob Harper has several Kettlebell DVDs on his website and last I checked, they were all still $5. I bought some of this other ones and they are great.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    From what I've read the Jillian Michaels video is awful. Supposidely the form she's teaching is god-awful and other professional trainers have commented that she's going to get somebody hurt.