Scale Addict

Options
I have been getting on the scale every morning and since I've started here the results have been good. But things will slow down and that's when I get frustrated and lose motivation. Then I usually quit which seems to be the only time I avoid the scale. I'd like to keep the weighing in to once a week but I see the scale and I can't seem to not get on. I've heard people say getting on every day is fine and others say not to. I'd like to know what works for others out there.

Replies

• mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and for awhile it was driving me nuts if the scale went up or stayed the same. Then I started actually tracking my weight every day using an app. I can now look back and see if I have lost weight from a week ago that day. So I may be up today from yesterday, but I am lower than what I weighed a week ago today.

And you can always just look at it as a number. Once you accept that this is a lifelong journey the little changes in the numbers don't bother you as much. Or at least that is how it was for me.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I have always did it on a daily basis.. I like doing it every day. This week I have changed it up because Mondays are not good for anything much!!! I will weigh in and share next Tuesday with my MFP'S. I did sneak a peek every day...so far I have lost but I do not want to put it to my log til TUESDAY.
    I have friends that have weighed every day their whole life and it keeps them grounded, so they say.
    I think it is a matter of what you are comfortable with.
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    MAYBE TRY PUTTING THE SCALE IN A CLOSET OR CUPBOARD .. SOMEWHERE OUT OF SIGHT .. AND THEN JUST GET IT OUT ON A DESIGNATED WEIGH IN DAY... :)
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm of the same mind as mango. I weigh every day and record every day but I don't compare yesterday to today. I compare this day last week to the same day this week. I'm kinda new here but when I have enough data I will be comparing months. So seeing daily swings just doesn't bother me. Mostly it's just water anyway but I do try to weigh at the same time every day.:smile:
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. Our bodies are constantly changing so weighing every day is not necessary and just leads to obsession/frustration.
  • buyer225
    buyer225 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I've decided to take a little advice from everyone. I'm only going to log my weigh ins 2 x week. Thursday (candy day at work) for extra motivation and Monday (to help me thru the weekends). Hopefully somewhere along the way I'll relax around the scale. Thanks everyone!
  • hcorbin29
    hcorbin29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty bad scale addict myself. Though I'm on Jenny Craig and do weekly weigh-ins there, I weigh myself every morning and then also at night (why? I think I like to punish myself) so I can see how the day went. For me I like to see the daily fluctuations so I can know if I'm doing something right (or wrong) and either change or keep doing what I'm doing before it hits the end of the week and I've lost time.

Best of luck!
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for the scale...if I walk past it I get on it.....if it's going down I like to see how much my weight varies throughout the day but if it's going up I get really down about it. Anyway, I can offer no advice for your addiction as I have no intention of stopping my contact weighing but I will say that I do three things during a month that REALLY matter to me on the 01st of each month I log my weight anything inbetween is just logged in my brain and not on paper! on the 18th of each month I take pictures of my self from the left and right side and then the front to see the difference that the scale wont always show me and then on 29th of every month I take my measurements and log them (although I also do this a few times a week, like the weight unless its the 29th it only get logged in my head!).

So while daily weighing works for me I find it also works to try and forget what your weighing....if that makes sense!
  • mommeex6
    mommeex6 Posts: 17
    Options
    GOOD thinking about the days you picked!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    when my mum-in-law was alive she used to drive us nutty! she would weigh a minimum four times a day and constantantly moan about it, so I moved it into the attic out of the way (at her request) peace at last, but it only lasted a day she got it back down from the attic! I realised she was a real scale addict! :grumble:
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    MAYBE TRY PUTTING THE SCALE IN A CLOSET OR CUPBOARD .. SOMEWHERE OUT OF SIGHT .. AND THEN JUST GET IT OUT ON A DESIGNATED WEIGH IN DAY... :)

I did THAT and didn't find it again for 2 years and 50 pounds.. THIS doesn't work for me. My mirrors lie, they tell me I am skinny.
    My scale keeps me real... ;-)
  • brianz72
    brianz72 Posts: 17
    Options
    I weigh myself 2-3 times per day. Anybody who understands statistics and sampling theory knows that the noisier the observations are, the more samples you need to approximate the true value. Those who say you should weigh yourself only weekly since it fluctuates a lot are just wrong... you should weigh yourself at least daily, with the understanding that it will vary 1-2 pounds per day - sometimes for a couple days at a time - due mostly to water.