Juicing Diet

Options
Hello all,
i am just wondering if anyone has tried the juicing diet to detox your body and actually lose weight..i will be taking on this journey as soon as i get my juicer. also curious as to how i could put these juice diet to count calories and calculate weight changes and such. any suggestions, opinions and recipe greatly appreciated

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The body doesn't need to be detoxed, that is what your liver and kidneys are doing every day for you. No special diet will release some hidden storage of toxins in your body. As for losing weight, any calorie deficit will do the trick, whether it is juicing or eating reduced calories of real foods.
  • antipanic
    Options
    Juicing can be a great way to add a lot of healthy vegetables (limit the fruits) to your diet. I have not tried a complete juice fast, but I juice almost every day.

People tend to have strong opinions about juicing - well founded or not, so don't be surprised if you get a bunch of very direct answers.

You can find recipes all over the Internet, and I like the Join the Reboot website for their recipes because they focus on vegetables, not fruit. But after a few weeks, you will find that pretty much all vegetable juice tastes like lemon if you add lemon or ginger if you add ginger, so you won't even follow a recipe after a while.

If you are interested, I can PM you some resources for organic produce in Chicago.

Good luck to you!
  • jhkaplan1
    jhkaplan1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    antipanic, where do you get your organic product in Chicago? I live downtown and go to Stanley's, Mariano's and Whole Foods. Stanley's is nice and cheap, but doesn't last long. Whole Foods is too expensive, but you get quality stuff there.

I've been doing a part whole foods, plant based diet / part juice diet for the past 1.5 months. I've lost 25 lbs (none logged through MFP though). I definitely think there is something to the juicing fast. I won't do it exclusively (too expensive and difficult), but I regularly juice as meal replacements, and it's worked great for me so far! I consider my diet to be a mashup of 'Forks over knives" and 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary diets.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Juiced for a bit and had no feeling one way or another really. Did not feel any better, was already eating very healthy and exercising. Lots of added exercise cleaning the machine over and over again. Can be very pricey depending on what you juice. I have since purchased a very nice blender and can do anything I need in that with super easy cleanup and fast prep time. Plus, the blender can be used for multiple tasks. Not a fan of single use kitchen gadgets, I invest in the best I can. I suppose if you had daily access to cheap produce it is worth a shot. I just feel all that effort for nothing special or unique nutrition wise is tedious. By the way, the auger type juicers are leaps and bounds better than those centrifugal mesh strainer heat producing ones.
  • amohr10
    amohr10 Posts: 4
    Options
    I recently tried juicing as well because I hate vegetables. In my opinion, dont waste your money. I spent $400 on the top of the line juicer (which they let me return, even after using it for two weeks!), and the amount of money you have to spend on fruits and vegetables is very pricey. For me, I would juice enough for the next four days because it takes a long time to prepare the vegetables and make them all with cleaning and cutting. I didn't feel any different with juicing, except I had heartburn and acid refulx from all of it. I didn't loose any more weight in a week than I did before. So, I guess I will just have to suck it up and eat raw and cooked vegetables. But good luck with whatever you choose to do!!!
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Oh, was thinking of a different kind of juice. :P
  • luisbravo0921
    Options
    i tried it for 4 days of just juice..not only did i get more energy...i also lost 12 pounds... i am just juicing in the mornings when i come to work and work out at our gym... then juice for my lunch and eat a meal for dinner...i feel better than ever...i also stopped smoking and run a mile every day now...I bike to work as well...i should see some seriously good results... before i started to exercise i couldnt run one street block...and now i can go longer than a mile but i just warm up then finsh my exercise with a good jog at the end
  • dwtouch4
    dwtouch4 Posts: 98
    Options
    I juice 5 times a week but just for breakfast. I can't speak to a juice only diet but even the single glass I have in the morning gives me a lot of energy and even puts me in a good mood. As far as logging the calories I created recipes for a few base vegetable juices and then add whatever fruit I feel like on that day. The calories I've calculated are based on the whole vegetable or fruit which probably is a little higher than what I'm drinking but I doubt its very significant.

I do about half veggie and half fruit. This can be a little high in calories about 150 - 200 a glass but it's good nutritious food.
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day 2 of a juice fast. I have been juicing one or two times a day almost everyday for a couple weeks now. I haven't seen a huge change in the way I feel, but the scale is down. I am hoping that a fast will do the trick. Today is feeling like a bad day. Everyone that I talk to says that days two and three are usually bad. I feel tired and grumpy :(

I am doing this not just to lose some weight, but to detox and see if it will help my rosacea. My rosacea is mild, but it's annoying.

You can friend me if you'd like! Good luck!
  • antipanic
    antipanic Posts: 64
    Options
    antipanic, where do you get your organic product in Chicago? I live downtown and go to Stanley's, Mariano's and Whole Foods. Stanley's is nice and cheap, but doesn't last long. Whole Foods is too expensive, but you get quality stuff there.

I've been doing a part whole foods, plant based diet / part juice diet for the past 1.5 months. I've lost 25 lbs (none logged through MFP though). I definitely think there is something to the juicing fast. I won't do it exclusively (too expensive and difficult), but I regularly juice as meal replacements, and it's worked great for me so far! I consider my diet to be a mashup of 'Forks over knives" and 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary diets.

Hi, I have been using two sources - both delivery based. I use Fresh Picks (www.freshpicks.com) and Door to Door Organics (www.doortodoororganics.com). I usually order the mixed vegetable box and then add on some kale, ginger and lemon. The convenience of having it delivered is great, plus it forces me to actually make the juice. I also tried TCF Organics in the past - also delivery based. I can't remember why I switched.

I think in terms of price, these end up being more expensive than Stanley's, but having it automatically show up every Tuesday keeps me juicing more reliably than if I had to make a trip up to Stanley's. Cheers!
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I want to learn more about juicing as well. I definitely wouldn't replace all meals with it though! Our bodies DO need to detox if we are not eating organic food all the time. In the past when there were no GMO foods and pesticides sprayed all over everything we didn't need to detox - our body did it naturally. Sadly that is not the world we live in anymore so we actually can benefit from detoxing our bodies with the help of something like juicing.