Coffee and dieting

Options
How many of you have been able to cut coffee out of their diet??? How did you go about doing so? I cut soda out completely, I used to drink a 20oz. bottle of Diet Pepsi every day thinking it was ok because "diet" has no sugar, no carbs etc. I have not been able to cut coffee out.

I drink one small pot of those personal coffeemaker size each day with 2% milk and either 2 Splenda or 4 sugars. I'm wishy washy about Splenda because of all the negative feedback about artificial sweetners. The sugar I'm not so keen on either advice input?

Not sure if I continue drinking coffee out of routine or habit or if it is the actual addiction to caffeine.

Please offer your input/advice.

Thanks all!

Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't cut them out. Diet soda and coffee are great for losing weight. In my opinion their benefits far out-weight their setbacks.
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting coffee out? My understanding is that for most people 1-2 cups a day is not bad for you.

I'd focus on cutting out the sugar, that's what I did. I used to put cream and 2 sugars in my coffee. Now I only put 1% millk and no sugar or splenda. I slowly got used to drinking it this way and now don't need sugar in it at all.

Try cutting out the sugar slowly...go from 4 sugars to 2 for a while...then 1 to 0.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting coffee out? My understanding is that for most people 1-2 cups a day is not bad for you.

I'd focus on cutting out the sugar, that's what I did. I used to put cream and 2 sugars in my coffee. Now I only put 1% millk and no sugar or splenda. I slowly got used to drinking it this way and now don't need sugar in it at all.

Try cutting out the sugar slowly...go from 4 sugars to 2 for a while...then 1 to 0.

no need to cut out cream. high fat diets are the way to eat! no sugar is def good tho!
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Coffee actually has a lot of health benefits! I have a cup every morning with a little half-n-half and a teaspoon of sugar. I don't like the artificial sweetners cause I have seen lots of documentaries on it being not so good for you. Some people like them though, to each his own. Anyways, I think one cup a day is not going to hurt you. Plus, I'm starting to see that anything natural (not processed and/or artificial) is good in moderation.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

^This!

I used to drink sweetened iced tea - now I can't stand it with sweetener. Just "step down" gradually. Life without caffeine (shudder).
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    Yeah no way would I ever attempt to cut my coffee! Life would not be worth living. Just make sure you factor it into your diet whether you are counting calories or carbs.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Try Stevia! Its an all-natural zero calorie sweetener, they are starting to sell it everywhere rather than just health food shops...my supermarket now stocks it and I'm living in Ireland in the wilderness haha! :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I cut out the cream (and didn't use sugar anyway), but won't give up coffee! I drink it black now, and love the taste of pure coffee without any added crap....
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I still have my morning coffee. I just use fat free milk instead of creamer
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Coffee is great source of potassium as well. Cut back slowly on the additives and learn to drink it black. You can't go wrong!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Cut out coffee?!? :noway:

I would literally fear for the safety of those around me if I quit drinking coffee!
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    Cut out coffee?!? :noway:

I would literally fear for the safety of those around me if I quit drinking coffee!

this!

i still can't give up my coffee or diet soda.
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    I tried to cut the coffee out one day. I lasted about 20 minutes and gave up. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Coffee's fine. If you're worried about a little cream and sugar, then cut that.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    cut out coffee??? craziness! i would never do such a thing. i use coffee creamers which are already sweetened so i do need to add any sugar. and most of the time i buy the ones that are fat free
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I still drink my coffee, three cups EVERY morning with skim milk and splenda.....everyone is different, but I cant imagine my life without it! LOL:love:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I didnt cut any coffee out I just dont put anything in it anymore.
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut the coffee out one day. I lasted about 20 minutes and gave up. :)

You made it longer than me lol.

I drink it straight black so the calories are negligible. I have switched from caffeinated to a half calf blend over the years as the caffeine keeps me up at nights if I have too much & have it too late.
  • thoughtfulnest
    thoughtfulnest Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am actually drinking a cup or two more than my previous one per day since I gave up sugar, sweeteners and such. Stevia is the only thing I have heard of that is supposed to be "natural" and okay, though there is still some debate about it. I am not a fan of it but if you need the sweetness give it a try. The real key is low salt and tons, tons, tons of water! Get your protein and bulk up your morning meal, then eat a bit less each time for lunch and diner. No eating after dinner! I live on herbal tea and water after that.

I am doing a program in which the first week is most restrictive. No bottled condiments, pickles, high fat dairy, starches or sugars. Fruit in the morning only. Lots of veggies and lean protein. I lost seven pounds in my first week, and for week two I leveled out a bit because I got sick and couldn't do my cardio. I expect that sticking to the program I will lose up to five pounds in the coming week and I will enjoy at least two cups of coffee with half & half every day!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I switched from coffee to green tea - I don't regret it at all.

I have coffee once a week.... sometimes I miss my "treat" and don't really miss it at all.