Hello, I'm new can can use MFP friends

Options
bkscott5
bkscott5 Posts: 53 Member
i just joined MFP after trying tons of diets since adolescence. So you all know by that my weight never really stays the same. I've had some success with Weight Watchers over the years but never loosing more than 25 calories. For over 10 years I've had major back problems so I've even been able to walk much, let alone real exercise or even fun play. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a very rare bone cancer, osteoblastic osteosarcoma, and in July of 2010 I had a below.the knee amputation. Followed by chemo. Good side to chemo I lost almost 60 lbs. So after giving that weight loss gift and having weight problems forever, I'd never allow myself to gain back too much weight, right? Wrong, the weight was coming at a slow rate of getting back to a healthy weight for me. So right about the time when I get to my target weight I was having some emotional problems when it looked like the cancer spread to both my breast, so I was eating all the junk food I wanted, it was the holidays, and for some reason I wasn't weighed for 2 months. So imagine my surprise when I nexted weighed in at 165. So the next month I ate real good, weighed in at 170! So I got out my old weight watchers books and ate better than I ever has in my life only to gain 1 lb in 6 weeks. So now in my 40's, just around 25 lbs over weight again and mostly bed bound due to all my physically problems, so not able to exercise I'm really looking for ways to loose the weight. I will take all the help I can get. I'm still tying to figure out the site but I do my food log everyday for over a week now, and happy to say eating lots of daily fruits and veggies all but one day a little under the calories allowed, sad to say that yet after another 2 weeks since last dr weigh in the home scale still shows no weight loss. Sorry for writing a book, hope to meet my fellow MFP members. Good luck to us all.

Replies

• lsang
    lsang Posts: 22
    Options
    Eat whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish) and drink plenty of water. Stay away from the sugar and carbs. Feel free to add me as a friend... Good Luck!
  • jcmjim22
    jcmjim22 Posts: 162
    Options
    Wow...you've been through a lot. Stay positive...it's not always the number on the scale that matters. Sometimes I feel smaller and the scale hasn't moved. :) Good luck!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michales (from the biggest loser tv show) recommends punching for people with lower body injuries as it really does get your heart rate up. You could also do weights x
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Hello! First, let me say that I'm sorry you've had to go through so much. Now, here comes the shift in thinking....

I, too, am a cancer survivor. 5+ years now! I've had 3 surgeries so far and am now on hormone replacement for the next 20+ years. Talk about weight gain...I sure have.

I'd like to point out something that you may be missing - YOU'RE EATING HEALTHIER!!! You're actively doing things to improve your physical well-being! I mean, give yourself HUGE PROPS for that!!! You're no longer wallowing in self-pity and giving up on health! You're DOING IT!!! HOORAY!!!

As for exercise...you may not be able to do cardio at the moment - at the moment - because of your amputation, but how about your arms? Are you able to lift them up and out? Grab a couple of soup cans for starters and do some toning/strength exercises. How about core? Can you do any small ab crunches? Just going for some often over-looked exercises that could help you out. That will create lean muscle mass and burn calories! You don't have to go all-out at first...just start out small. Push yourself a little bit at a time.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like encouragment. I LOVE helping!
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I accept all FR's, and try really hard to motivate EACH of my friends! :) Welcome!!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi.....Feel free to add me...I believe we all can keep each other motivated and get to our goals of becoming healthier!! :)
  • Stacy533
    Stacy533 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add away!
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT THE ONE THING I LEARNED WHEN I JOINED MFP IS THAT ITS GOING TO BE HARD WORK IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO PUT THE WORK IN IT WON'T GET DONE REMEMBER ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE NOT A DIET ADD ME IF YOU WNAT
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Add me!!!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Bless you for all that you have had to deal with xxx I am 44 and would love to lose the same amount as you do; like you I have yo-yo'd over the years and it just creeps back on so easily. Part of me wants to say to you, don't worry about losing weight, just concentrate on living and making the most of each day, every one which must give you challenges and frustrations, but I know that that's not the answer as in your heart you will still yearn to lose weight. I wish you well using MFP, I think the support system is fantastic and hope that we will all be able to encourage you xxx
  • Jerseygirl02
    Options
    It takes an amazing amount of strength to have gone through all that you have. So I think if you should have no trouble on this journey. Welcome and good luck you! God Bless! You can add me as a friend if you like:)