How to prep for a 5k....

Options
Hey, I'm doing a 5k next Saturday (my first one)! What should I do to prepare myself? What foods should I eat or stay away from?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Get all your gear together the night before so you aren't looking for it in the morning.

Don't eat anything you've never tried before within a couple days of the race. The night before, eat something you know will not upset your stomach. The morning of the race, a couple hours before the start, have a small meal of carbs that you know won't upset your stomach (if you are a person that can eat before a run).

That's really it. Just go out and have fun!
  • BohemianPrep
    BohemianPrep Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    make sure you either have a banana or a small cup or orange juice-- the potassium helps from cramping.

also make sure that the meals before are easily digestible, such as white bread as opposed to wheat.

DO NOT CARB LOAD! you will be surprised that you don't burn that many of them during the race.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I stay away from anything that is super high in fat (which I do anyway) or super high in fiber - which both cause stomach issues for me. Just eat what you are used to eating before running.

For example - I like to eat a half of a bagel with peanut butter and a banana before my runs.
  • getfitsuccess
    Options
    Remember to empty your bladder right before the start of the race....inevitably you always gotta pee in the middle! I just finished my 1st 5k in March. I finished 468th according to TIME, about right in the middle of the pack of 1050 participants.

Its an awesome feeling to accomplish something I never thought I could do. Good Luck, enjoy the race and have a great time...sprinkling blessings of good weather on you =) Let us know how you finish.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I take 1 glass of chocolate milk about 1-2 hours before the run. Make sure it is good on protein AND carbohydrates.
    Take few servings of fruits after. Preferably either apple or orange.

Also, rest your muscles well for 1-2 days before your run for maximum efficiency!

I run a 5k almost every 3 days and have improved my speed/stamina following the above. HIIT cardio also helps greatly with stamina.
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Oh you will LOVE it! I ran my first on 03/31/12. I have already ran my 2nd and signed up for a 3rd. It's very addicting! I ate what I normally did.
  • frankwyte4
    frankwyte4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get all your gear ready, know the weather of your race day. dress as you would expect it to be 20 warmer than actual temperature. once you start running you will feel alot warmer.

I would recommend getting familiar with the course, if its very hilly get out and run some hilly courses to prepare your body for it.
    if your just treadmill training make sure you get your incline at or above 1.0 and get more than 3.1 miles completed. try to get atleast 2-3 runs of 3.1 miles in before your race day. make sure your body is used to going that distance.

i wouldnt go carb crazy for a 5k, its no marathon, you won't be burning that many calories to justify a carbo load.

my race morning food is a toasted english muffin with a lil peanut butter.

most important for a 5k is showing up and giving it your best, dont be afraid to take walk breaks. Never stop, if you need a breather just walk fast. And if you need a fast walk break pick out a spot in front of you(not too far) and tell yourself my break is done when i reach that point.

have fun!!!
  • LNolan24
    LNolan24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I finished in 37 minutes Saturday!