Chia seeds

Options
Is there any particular brand that is better than the other? I mean, there are so many different types of coconut oil and many conflicting stories of which one is best. I am wondering if the same is true for Chia. Also, does it really help or work to give you energy and feel full? I dont really care about the feeling full but I will do almost anything to get a little more energy.

Replies

• icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tried chia seeds for a month. Although you do not have to grind them, I did and they came out the consistency of sand. I used 1 tablespoon in my smoothies, twice a day. Have not notice a difference. I also use protein powder in my smoothies and now that I have stopped the chia, I am still feeling full after having a smoothie so I can say it was due to the protein. I did not notice anything with an energy increase though.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    for energy I take NOW liquid B12. It has helped me a lot. I was feeling very tired almost all the time to a point where I stopped working out. I'm back at the gym now :-) Here's a link so you can check it out if you would like...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/b12.html

edit to add.. I use Chia seeds also but not really for energy. I but Whole Foods 365 Organic Chia seeds. I put them on salads, put them in smoothies, put them in tuna salad and just about everything. I thought you wanted energy that is why I postd about the B12 but I use the Chia seeds to get my Omega's etc.
  • dsrszs
    dsrszs Posts: 14
    Options
    Chia seeds provide fiber and omega-3's. That is why I use them.

I abhor them in smoothies, although most people use them that way.

I blend them into chicken salad, green salad, salad dressings, etc.

Basically, I use them the way I would use poppyseeds.

They blend into any baked good.

Those allergic to eggs use them mixed with water as an egg substitue. 1 teaspoon chia seeds plus one tablespoon water equals one egg.

I buy them in the bulk isle of my grocery store or I buy a box of Bob's chia seeds.

Be sure to store them in the freezer.

All of those woderful omega-3 oils will go rancid quickly if left in the pantry.

Enjoy.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have been using chia seeds made by Nutiva. I bought 2 bags because GNC had a sale a while back. 1 bag is almost gone, another in the fridge. I can't see any kind of difference honestly. Not sure what to look for though. Not sure I would buy these again. Have been using them at least a month, a bit longer actually.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    They are all basically the same.

I have used them for a long time primarily for the omega3 and fibre content. They also have a decent amount of protein. I just put them on my cereal or mix them in with other things. I can't say they have given me any more energy.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you. I am always looking for ways to boost my fiber and O3's too. I think I am going to try them. Also - thanks for the tip about the B12. I just feel so exhausted and can barely stay awake let alone work out. I miss working out!