Ideas for quick on-the-go dinners

Options
Hi all,

So recently i have cut carbs from dinner time - hence I've been having loads of salads with protein and loads of veg..but no potatoes, pasta, rice or anything.

Whilst this has worked, i am beginning to get bored of it, feel like i have nothing to look forward to at dinner plus the salads i buy are expensive.

I work long hours and travel over 2.5 hours home so i like to eat something on the way home hence why salads became my go to foods.

Any recs for quick on-the-go low cal meals please? i am not too concerned about whether or not i include carbs now.

thanks xx

Replies

• Stacy533
    Stacy533 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds good - 19lb loss - great going!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thank you!! :):):)

Any ideas anyone?? xxx
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like breakfast for dinner, egg omelette with cheese. Maybe some bacon or breakfast sausage, just controlling the quantity. A bowl of cereal with Very Vanilla Silk is a staple favourite.

Good quality lunch meats with cheese, you can do a wrap or go without bread entirely and put a toothpick through like an hors d'oeuvre. Dinner is usually my main meal and I eat very little throughout the day, as long as the number are put into the website here, I think you'd be good to go with whatever you choose.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It's a lot cheaper if you buy the salad ingredients yourself. I've been buying a lot from Trader Joe's lately (all of my recommendations are from there.. sorry in advance if you don't live near one):

1) Pre-cooked chicken.. about $5 for 4 servings. Favorite flavors are lemon pepper and rosemary balsamic
    2) spring mix - they have all kinds of inexpensive bagged lettuce, spinach, and other varieties for about $2 for a bag
    3) various fruits such as raspberries, blackberries, pomegranate seeds, etc
    4) crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese (again from Trader Joe's... they're about $2-3 for a reasonable size container)

I then make salads combining parts 1-4

5) Trader Joe's tabouli- great as a side dish
    6) I also buy whole wheat hamburger buns and make sandwiches with the chicken mentioned in point 1).. last night, I added a piece of light swiss cheese, a couple of tomato slices, and some guacamole and ate it with a side of tabouli

I figure I could save a lot more money by buying raw chicken and cooking it myself, making my own tabouli, etc... but this has been a nice middle-ground for me, between eating out completely and cooking everything myself completely.
  • Tammi140
    Tammi140 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How about light string cheese, boiled eggs, brown rice and fried ground turkey mixed, whey protien shake, spread light cream cheese on a piece of ham and wrap a pickle in it (yum!). You may have to pack a cooler for some of this. But, if your packing a cooler, you can bring a bowl of lettuce and add many of these items to make an awesome salad.
  • ottingmom
    Options
    Maybe you could try doing a wrap, essentially putting your salad in the tortilla wrap. You could wrap it in cellophane or tin foil to keep and then eat it in the car if needed. You can do lots of things with wraps, add some hummus ect. and you can get low carb wraps too. If you are at home you could do a stir fry with lots of veggies and protein. Breakfast for dinner is good too, you could get some egg whites and do omlettes and scrambled eggs, you could also lean ham and your veggies and it would be pretty quick.