Are my arms going to shrink???

Options
I am 5'1 and weigh 164 lbs. I've lost 57 lbs so far... I'm a lot smaller than when I started but, my arms are driving me CRAZY!!! I hate that they're hanging! I'm worried that they're not going to get any smaller... Any suggestions??? I do all types of workouts... I work on triceps and not seeing the results that I would like to see....

Replies

• Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i would figure any sort of weight training program would be good for your arms. i have noticed that my arms have taken a while to check up with the rest of my body.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have big arms, too, and wish they would stop ignoring the laws of gravity. I've got nice biceps going, but the flab isn't going away or up. Unfortunately, fat gets burned from everywhere and working certain muscle groups doesn't burn specific areas of fat. I'm going to have big biceps no matter what I do, though my shoulders are total rocking.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I work on triceps and not seeing the results that I would like to see....
    How much weight are you lifting/using for your tricep work?
  • fit4life314
    Options
    Stick with it girl and they will shrink!! Your doing awesome! :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would continue to lose weight and to work on your strength training, including your arms. I've known some people who had to gave skin removed after a large weight loss. You'll have to ask a doctor.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, it will come!

My arms were the first to slim down on me. I'm still fighting with my thighs. Don't even get me started on my chest! Ugh! We all gain and lose in different places with different speeds. Keep at it, the results will come!

BTW - Don't waste your time on isolation lifting. Lift heavy and do compound movements that mimic everyday actions. Will achieve more in a shorter amount of training time! Chest press, military press, lat pulls and rows are great for all over arm work. Also, yoga has also done wonders for my arms and legs!
  • angeeang1
    angeeang1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! I will take all of your ideas into consideration... Ultimately I know I have to be patient with it... It's really hard though as we ALL know!! I think I'll give it another year and see where they are and then look into other options... You all are awesome!! Thanks for the encouragement!!:wink:
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Push ups push ups and more push ups!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    i would figure any sort of weight training program would be good for your arms. i have noticed that my arms have taken a while to check up with the rest of my body.

This in order for them to shrink you need to fill the empty space with some muscle. Push ups are great, try lifting some weights too
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and used to weigh 215 pounds. My arms drove me crazy for awhile too. But they did eventually tighten up. See my pic.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a link to this article on another thread yesterday: http://allwomenstalk.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

Not about arms, specifically, but good info. Keep working your arms and give them time to catch up to your new body. :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    having the same problem with these bat wings, they are getting smaller but flappin' in the wind. I have been working my tri-ceps really hard and am seeing some muscle build. from everything I have read, it takes time for the fat to just melt. I need patience!!! I am just keeping on with my arm wokouts and hoping it will eventually tighten.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic so don't stress over it! You will be much better off to be gentle and kind with yourself! Congratulations on your success!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes they will shrink, as long as you keep working those muscles. Do you arms every other day. I don't know what your current dumbells weigh but if you are just starting, try using an 8lb. When you can get to 12 reps and its easy, you need to up your weight. Some exercises you may need heavier dumbells. I use anywhere from a 10lb - 25lb. You have to keep at it and you will see results. Best of luck!
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I feel ya! I'm 5'8" and I've lost 69 lbs. My arms are flabby. I tell my husband that I have "wings" when I lift my arms. I've been doing resistance training all along, though. So when I'm doing things with my arms at my side, I have tone.

The problem? I'm a teacher! Whenever I write on the whiteboard at school, my wings are out!

Anyway, keep up the resistance training. And don't be discouraged about this. It takes a long time to correct many years of unhealthy living!
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up! Lift heavy!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    arm flab, belly flab, etc. does go away eventually but very slowly and only with a lot of work. But, it does happen. I'm almost wingless, certainly much better than previous, but it took forever, it seemed like! and really not until I started doing some strength training with dumbbells and stuff.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Even though the fat hasn't all gone yet, you will definitely see positive changes with weight training. Just be sure to up the resistance as rapidly as you can to encourage muscle growth. If you train triceps 2-3x a week, on non-consecutive days, you should see much shapelier arms, no question about it. But to get rid of flab, you will need to burn it off, either via diet or cardio, or both. They will shrink, but neither fat loss nor muscle building are linear, sometimes we just have to keep at it and eventually we will see the results.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    BTW - Don't waste your time on isolation lifting. Lift heavy and do compound movements that mimic everyday actions. Will achieve more in a shorter amount of training time! Chest press, military press, lat pulls and rows are great for all over arm work. Also, yoga has also done wonders for my arms and legs!
    [/quote]

^^ i was just going to say this about the isolation movements. You'd be much better off doing pushups, presses, or rows instead of tricep exercises. AND LIFT HEAVY!
  • angeeang1
    angeeang1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!! I do weight training 2-3x a week and I do a bunch of cardio.. I just started incorporating swimming once a week. I have a bunch of muscle and you can see it when my arms are down.. But like someone said, when I lift those bad boys up, they are flappin in the wind... You all inpsire me!! I love looking at pictures of people who have lost a ton and their arms look great.. It gives me hope! I'm just going to be patient with it... I know deep in my heart, I will be rid of these wings one day... Thanks for all your responses!! This is AWESOME!!! :happy: