Help whole wheat flour tastes too strong.......

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I made pancakes yesterday with whole wheat flour, and while I like them(I'll eat anything), my fiance ate them(proud of him) but he wasn't thrilled. Anything I can do to make them taste better? I really want them to be completely whole wheat but if I have to add in some other kind of flour I will. Any suggestions for a healthy tastier flour or a way to make whole wheat flour tastier?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting a little vanilla into your pancake batter? Makes them taste absolutely decadent! A teaspoon is usually plenty.

Edit - Use real vanilla, it's worth the money because it tastes so much better than the artificial stuff.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pastry flour seems to taste much better to me- not as strong and adds a much fluffier texture to food! But i'm used to regular whole wheat too, although now i've been experimenting with gluten-free flours.

Only thing I can think of is mixing half and half with gluten-free flour, if you are willing to not to 100% whole wheat. :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat bread flour is sweeter, might help. We use either Bob Red Mill's whole wheat pancake mix or buckwheat pancake mix, add in pumpkin and apple sauce. We dont add the oil, eggs, etc, just pumpkin for flavor and applesauce for the oil and eggs. Even REALLY SUPER picky daughter loves these pancakes/waffles.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have heard that using half white or some other type of flour along with half whole wheat yields better results than all whole wheat flour. Haven't tried that yet, but plan on it in the future.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great suggestions.........back to the kitchen!
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second the whole wheat pastry flour. I use it for most recipes (whole wheat flour & white whole wheat flour are better for breads, don't know why but they both taste breadier). Also I LOVE coconut flour as a nice whole grain option for things like pancakes/waffles/cookies etc. It doesn't have gluten so you need a bit of the whole wheat pastry flour.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I made pancakes yesterday with whole wheat flour, and while I like them(I'll eat anything), my fiance ate them(proud of him) but he wasn't thrilled. Anything I can do to make them taste better? I really want them to be completely whole wheat but if I have to add in some other kind of flour I will. Any suggestions for a healthy tastier flour or a way to make whole wheat flour tastier?

I like oat flour for pancakes.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It took a LONG time before I adjusted to the whole wheat flour. One of the things that worked for me was substituting half for oat flour. You can buy it (too expensive for me) or pulse oatmeal in the food processor until it's powdered.

Edit - Jinx ^